Sub-I in Internal, Flexibility for Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VitaminDD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I was offered 2 sub-internships (aways) in medicine: at a Kaiser hospital in Northern California, and at one of the UCs. It's in January, when I already have interviews scheduled. Does anyone know how flexible these programs are with regards to allowing travel for interviews?

To note, I am not applying to internal medicine. And this Sub-I was a mandatory requirement for my SOM and I wanted to be back home for a month to complete it (from Cali).

Thanks for any advice given.

Members don't see this ad.

That's really a question for the clerkship coordinator. Different rotations (at different programs) will have different rules on that. Ask them both now before you make a decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I was offered 2 sub-internships (aways) in medicine: at a Kaiser hospital in Northern California, and at one of the UCs. It's in January, when I already have interviews scheduled. Does anyone know how flexible these programs are with regards to allowing travel for interviews?

To note, I am not applying to internal medicine. And this Sub-I was a mandatory requirement for my SOM and I wanted to be back home for a month to complete it (from Cali).

Thanks for any advice given.

Ask the coordinator right now. I do not recommend a Sub-I. The IM-SubI is supposed to be the pinnacle of your education and even if you're not applying IM but Derm/Anesthesia/ER, etc. it's still a very important rotation that you will need for your field and deserves your full attention. If it can't be helped, then go ahead and schedule it, but I feel like whatever the general 4th year days off is, will be cut in half for SubIs. For example, at our school we can only miss 5 days per elective or 2 days for a Sub-I.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for everyone's replies! I am going to take your sage advice and will schedule an easier elective in January, something that would be more flexible with interviews. I will schedule my sub-i for March or April.

To note, I HAVE TO take a Sub-i in internal to graduate. It's a strange requirement from my school, but it's a requirement none the less.

Thanks for everyone's replies! I am going to take your sage advice and will schedule an easier elective in January, something that would be more flexible with interviews. I will schedule my sub-i for March or April.

To note, I HAVE TO take a Sub-i in internal to graduate. It's a strange requirement from my school, but it's a requirement none the less.
yes, but you don't have to take it during prime interview season...and having it as a requirement means that you have to at least pass it...not worth it to risk failing it and then not graduating...take it after you are finished with interviews...any sub i after jan, they will know that you are not looking to impress and probably won't push you too hard.

Reactions: 1 user