Sub-specialties for DO's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladpm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What seems to be your opinions or knowledge of the following in terms of difficulty level in to attain residencies/fellowships, geographic location, private versus group practice, etc.

Allergy/Immuno
Anesthesiology
Cardiology
Critical care
CT Surg
Colorectal surg
Radiology or interverntional radiology
Derm
Gastroenterology
OB/Gyn
Heme/Onc
Nephrology
ID
intensivist
neonatology
neuro
neruo surg
ophthalmology
oral surg
ortho surg
rehab medicine
pediatrics (and all those many specialities)
plastics
pulmonology
reproductive endocrinology
rheum
trauma surg
urology
vascular surg

Members don't see this ad.

What seems to be your opinions or knowledge of the following in terms of difficulty level in to attain residencies/fellowships, geographic location, private versus group practice, etc.

Allergy/Immuno
Anesthesiology
Cardiology
Critical care
CT Surg
Colorectal surg
Radiology or interverntional radiology
Derm
Gastroenterology
OB/Gyn
Heme/Onc
Nephrology
ID
intensivist
neonatology
neuro
neruo surg
ophthalmology
oral surg
ortho surg
rehab medicine
pediatrics (and all those many specialities)
plastics
pulmonology
reproductive endocrinology
rheum
trauma surg
urology
vascular surg

Thats a long list there...lol

It might be helpful if you can narrow down the list to what you're really, really interested in. The answer varies wildly from one to the next. For example, derm is crazily difficult for ANYONE, either MD *or* DO to get, whereas general pediatrics is considered pretty non-competitive.
If you're so interested in everything that you can't narrow the list down, maybe you should be thinking about family practice? That's an easy specialty to match into. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Degree of difficulty for a DO in obtaining these spots is porpotional to the competitiveness of the program itself. Also, you must take into consideration whether the applicant is applying to allopathic programs, osteopathic programs, or both.

More competitive the specialty = more difficult for a DO (or MD) to match.

Degree of difficulty for a DO in obtaining these spots is porpotional to the competitiveness of the program itself. Also, you must take into consideration whether the applicant is applying to allopathic programs, osteopathic programs, or both.

More competitive the specialty = more difficult for a DO (or MD) to match.

I assumed that it would have to be done through an allo residency...I just wanted to hear from anyone specifically about any of these specialties...my friend in San Jose told me the the chief resident of IM @ Stanford who is a DO matched with a GI fellowship...that's encouraging to hear...I guess I just want hear that people are successful at attaining any of these specialities and pass on the joy to others

If I had to narrow things down, I would choose from: GI, heme/onc, anesthesia, gen surg, or urology. Maybe a pediatric fellowship like gen surg or neonatology

I assumed that it would have to be done through an allo residency...I just wanted to hear from anyone specifically about any of these specialties...my friend in San Jose told me the the chief resident of IM @ Stanford who is a DO matched with a GI fellowship...that's encouraging to hear...I guess I just want hear that people are successful at attaining any of these specialities and pass on the joy to others

If I had to narrow things down, I would choose from: GI, heme/onc, anesthesia, gen surg, or urology. Maybe a pediatric fellowship like gen surg or neonatology

This site might help you out: http://opportunities.osteopathic.or...B4800F62C4B02&jsessionid=30307619b4b227565019

To my understanding it includes all the AOA approved residencies and fellowships available. I don't think it includes AOA/ACGME, and so would imply that DOs are the only folks currently allowed to participate. It would follow that SOMEONE is filling these positions,
so there is hope.

I assumed that it would have to be done through an allo residency...I just wanted to hear from anyone specifically about any of these specialties...

This is completely untrue. There are Osteopathic Fellowships out there. Pulm-cc, Cardio, Invasive Cardio, GI, etc, etc. They're out there, but they are definitely not nearly as numerous as allo fellowships.

But it'd would take forever to answer your question by going down through the list, so give us an narrowed down and we can help point the way to finding the info you want.

Are there osteopathic fellowships available in endocrinology?

Also, can one do a DO residency followed by an allo fellowship?

I can't seem to find an Osteopathic Medical Genetics residency or fellowship. Do none exist?

Any help would be appreciated.

I can't seem to find an Osteopathic Medical Genetics residency or fellowship. Do none exist?

Any help would be appreciated.

Probably not. Not many allopathic spots around either. 47 programs, most of which only take 1 person per year.

Are there many DO anesthesia spots? I think I would be very interested in Anesth.??

DO ortho?

Thanks