• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

ladpm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
What seems to be your opinions or knowledge of the following in terms of difficulty level in to attain residencies/fellowships, geographic location, private versus group practice, etc.

Allergy/Immuno
Anesthesiology
Cardiology
Critical care
CT Surg
Colorectal surg
Radiology or interverntional radiology
Derm
Gastroenterology
OB/Gyn
Heme/Onc
Nephrology
ID
intensivist
neonatology
neuro
neruo surg
ophthalmology
oral surg
ortho surg
rehab medicine
pediatrics (and all those many specialities)
plastics
pulmonology
reproductive endocrinology
rheum
trauma surg
urology
vascular surg

Pansit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
What seems to be your opinions or knowledge of the following in terms of difficulty level in to attain residencies/fellowships, geographic location, private versus group practice, etc.

Allergy/Immuno
Anesthesiology
Cardiology
Critical care
CT Surg
Colorectal surg
Radiology or interverntional radiology
Derm
Gastroenterology
OB/Gyn
Heme/Onc
Nephrology
ID
intensivist
neonatology
neuro
neruo surg
ophthalmology
oral surg
ortho surg
rehab medicine
pediatrics (and all those many specialities)
plastics
pulmonology
reproductive endocrinology
rheum
trauma surg
urology
vascular surg

Thats a long list there...lol

peppy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
It might be helpful if you can narrow down the list to what you're really, really interested in. The answer varies wildly from one to the next. For example, derm is crazily difficult for ANYONE, either MD *or* DO to get, whereas general pediatrics is considered pretty non-competitive.
If you're so interested in everything that you can't narrow the list down, maybe you should be thinking about family practice? That's an easy specialty to match into. ;)

About the Ads

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2000
www.pcom.edu
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Degree of difficulty for a DO in obtaining these spots is porpotional to the competitiveness of the program itself. Also, you must take into consideration whether the applicant is applying to allopathic programs, osteopathic programs, or both.

More competitive the specialty = more difficult for a DO (or MD) to match.

ladpm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Degree of difficulty for a DO in obtaining these spots is porpotional to the competitiveness of the program itself. Also, you must take into consideration whether the applicant is applying to allopathic programs, osteopathic programs, or both.

More competitive the specialty = more difficult for a DO (or MD) to match.

I assumed that it would have to be done through an allo residency...I just wanted to hear from anyone specifically about any of these specialties...my friend in San Jose told me the the chief resident of IM @ Stanford who is a DO matched with a GI fellowship...that's encouraging to hear...I guess I just want hear that people are successful at attaining any of these specialities and pass on the joy to others

If I had to narrow things down, I would choose from: GI, heme/onc, anesthesia, gen surg, or urology. Maybe a pediatric fellowship like gen surg or neonatology

Han Bozo

The Spankmaster
10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2007
Status (Visible)
I assumed that it would have to be done through an allo residency...I just wanted to hear from anyone specifically about any of these specialties...my friend in San Jose told me the the chief resident of IM @ Stanford who is a DO matched with a GI fellowship...that's encouraging to hear...I guess I just want hear that people are successful at attaining any of these specialities and pass on the joy to others

If I had to narrow things down, I would choose from: GI, heme/onc, anesthesia, gen surg, or urology. Maybe a pediatric fellowship like gen surg or neonatology

This site might help you out: http://opportunities.osteopathic.or...B4800F62C4B02&jsessionid=30307619b4b227565019

To my understanding it includes all the AOA approved residencies and fellowships available. I don't think it includes AOA/ACGME, and so would imply that DOs are the only folks currently allowed to participate. It would follow that SOMEONE is filling these positions,
so there is hope.

JayneCobb

big damn hero....
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I assumed that it would have to be done through an allo residency...I just wanted to hear from anyone specifically about any of these specialties...

This is completely untrue. There are Osteopathic Fellowships out there. Pulm-cc, Cardio, Invasive Cardio, GI, etc, etc. They're out there, but they are definitely not nearly as numerous as allo fellowships.

But it'd would take forever to answer your question by going down through the list, so give us an narrowed down and we can help point the way to finding the info you want.

bravotwozero

Chronically ambitious
15+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2004
Houston
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Are there osteopathic fellowships available in endocrinology?

Also, can one do a DO residency followed by an allo fellowship?

JayneCobb

big damn hero....
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Also, can one do a DO residency followed by an allo fellowship?

It is harder, but not impossible, I know several people personally who have done this.

girlsporty

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2005
USA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I can't seem to find an Osteopathic Medical Genetics residency or fellowship. Do none exist?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2000
www.pcom.edu
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I can't seem to find an Osteopathic Medical Genetics residency or fellowship. Do none exist?

Any help would be appreciated.

Probably not. Not many allopathic spots around either. 47 programs, most of which only take 1 person per year.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2001
Cali
Are there many DO anesthesia spots? I think I would be very interested in Anesth.??

DO ortho?

Thanks

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.