Sub specialty pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xmsr3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just hoping someone could please explain to me how sub specialty pay works in the military.

For example say someone wants to be a surgeon, which has ISP of $36,000, but then completes a fellowship in cardio thoracics.

For multiple year retention bonus, I've found that there are 5 categories ranging from $55k for the surgical sub specialties to $20k for int med sub specialties.

My questions are:

Are those numbers cumulative? Or does the sub special category pay replace the ISP?

For example would the multi year bonus(4 year) pay for cardio thoracics be $36,000+$55,000 or just $55,000 instead of $36,000?

And since ISP doesn't list sub specialties, does that mean that until you pay back your time, at which point you are eligible for multi year bonus, you make no more despite fellowship training?

In other words does a pulmonologist make as much as a non specialized int med doc in terms of ISP? Only multi year bonus pays extra for extra training?

And finally, if one does more than one fellowship does whatever (if any) ISP benefits and multi year bonus pay accumulate or is 1 fellowships treated the same as 2 or 3?

As an example, oby/gyn offers a 1 year fellowship in lapeascopics, 3 in fetal and maternal medicine and a 3 year reproductive and fertility fellowship.

If you did all 3 would you benefit (pay wise) the same if you did just the laparoscopic fellowship( 1 year of training treated the same as 7)?

Any knowledge you can impart would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

Just hoping someone could please explain to me how sub specialty pay works in the military.

For example say someone wants to be a surgeon, which has ISP of $36,000, but then completes a fellowship in cardio thoracics.

For multiple year retention bonus, I've found that there are 5 categories ranging from $55k for the surgical sub specialties to $20k for int med sub specialties.

My questions are:

Are those numbers cumulative? Or does the sub special category pay replace the ISP?

For example would the multi year bonus(4 year) pay for cardio thoracics be $36,000+$55,000 or just $55,000 instead of $36,000?

And since ISP doesn't list sub specialties, does that mean that until you pay back your time, at which point you are eligible for multi year bonus, you make no more despite fellowship training?

In other words does a pulmonologist make as much as a non specialized int med doc in terms of ISP? Only multi year bonus pays extra for extra training?

And finally, if one does more than one fellowship does whatever (if any) ISP benefits and multi year bonus pay accumulate or is 1 fellowships treated the same as 2 or 3?

As an example, oby/gyn offers a 1 year fellowship in lapeascopics, 3 in fetal and maternal medicine and a 3 year reproductive and fertility fellowship.

If you did all 3 would you benefit (pay wise) the same if you did just the laparoscopic fellowship( 1 year of training treated the same as 7)?

ISP is different if it's paid in conjunction with a MSP contract (and the pay is ISP + MSP, not MSP instead of ISP).

Every year there's a detailed instruction published. Here's FY12

www.med.navy.mil/bumed/Special_Pay/...ial Pay Implementation Guidance (3Oct11).docx

Your example CT surgery is subspecialty category 1, so a 4 year MSP/ISP contract per table 1 would be $57K + $55K = $112K

Prior to completing obligation a subspecialty category 1 gets $36K ISP. Once you have 8 years creditable service, you're eligible to sign a MSP contract whether or not your education payback is done - the MSP years are just tacked on the end, but you can get the money sooner.

You can only collect ISP or MSP/ISP for one specialty at a time.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

My questions are:

General surgery's ISP is $29K, not $36K.

Not all fellowships fall into the subspecialty categories I-V. Some subspecialties are listed independently on the pay charts (e.g. pulmonogy, cardiology). Others are not considered separate from their base specialty. For example, a fellowship-trained radiologist gets the same bonus money as a general radiologist.

You will only get bonus money for one specialty/subspecialty at a time. There is no direct link between length of training and bonus money. Higher bonus money correlates with specialties/subspecialties with longer training, but that is generally a function of comparative civilian pay and retention issues rather than training length.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "cumulative", but you get both ISP and MSP. It's a little confusing because ISP gets "bumped" if it's taken in conjunction with MSP. So, if you were a CT surgeon who signed a 4-year MSP, you get the $55K per year in MSP plus the ISP-with-MSP rate of $57K. If you did not sign MSP (or are not eligible), then you would just get non-MSP ISP amount of $36K per year (plus all of the other pays and allowances, of course).

Last edited: