Sub-Specialty questions on Surgery Shelf?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radsbound

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the proportion of Sub-specialty questions on the surgery shelf? And sub-specialties are mainly represented on the test? Thanx.

Members don't see this ad.

Very very few. Reading the back of surgical recall should suffice. The only thing extra I did was looking through the "trauma" section of different subspecialties in BRS. For me Recall and BRS did the job nicely.

http://www.nbme.org/programs/subjexamsclin.asp

Most sub-specialties are represented on the shelf, with the ones you have to go through general surgery to get to being the most represented.

Surgical recall also is a really poor tool for studying for the shelf...it's main utility is prepping for OR/pimping.

Do Pre-test...it's pretty high yield and covers the subspecialties.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree. I found that Recall was great before cases and the couple of days right before the shelf. I wouldn't use it as my primary recource though. Pretest was also good. BRS was more useful for learning concepts and facts at length (I hate Lawrence).

The ABSITE review is also a great book. It is very very concise, but it is up to date, and has most of the important stuff you need to know for the exam. This is the only book I used to study for the sub-specialties. It's a small book, so you can keep it in your white coat. I used that, the appleton and lange question book, and the BRS, and got in the 95th percentile.