subI's for DOs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcdo

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the relative difficulty involved in getting a subinternship for the start of 4th year at a well regarded allopathic institution? Or is it better to just go somewhere where you know you will get a lot of work and then do an audition rotation? I already have read what Iserson recommends, but I don't know how pertinent that is to a DO student.

Thanks for any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

This is the situation as I know it here in the NYC area. Please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong. Most of the prestigious hospitals here NYC and surrounding area are affiliated with their allopathic medical schools. Thus, most of the medical student spots are filled by their medical students, making it more difficult for DO students to do their subI's. Some hospitals are more DO friendly than others, so I would check word of mouth with individual hospitals, and by all means, notify them early that you are interested in a subI at their institution. Good luck.

Is a Sub-I the same as an externship?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes and no. A sub I is a 4th year rotation where the student assumes most of the role of an intern (under a lot more supervision than an intern would have, obviously). It is usually done after one or two basic rotations in that particular specialty and often is an "audition rotation" in a hospital you are considering applying to for your residency.

An externship usually denotes any rotation that is not done at your main rotation site. So, if all your rotations are done at hospital X in, let's say, NJ and which is affiliated with your school, an externship would be a rotation elsewhere, for instance in Rochester, NY, affiliated with their med school. So, if this fits into the description of your sub-I, then your sub-I is also an externship. If you do your sub-I at the hospital where you have done all your rotations, then it isn't.

Because most sub-Is have a very limited number of spots and most students in schools that have them want to do a sub-I, outside students usually have a pretty tough time getting a sub-I.

I'd check with your clinical dean and ask if your school has a sub-I. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't NYCOM have a med sub-I at St. Barnabas?

Tim of New York City.