Subject test scores available for October dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbean

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I knew I'd be paying to check my subject test scores by phone (so I knew whether or not to send them to schools), so I thought I'd give it a try tonight on the off-chance that they made them available a little early. Sure enough, they're out!

Just a heads-up for everyone who's in the same boat...

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know when they're going to mail out the scores? No way I'm paying to get mine; I'd much rather wait in worry.

I knew I'd be paying to check my subject test scores by phone (so I knew whether or not to send them to schools), so I thought I'd give it a try tonight on the off-chance that they made them available a little early. Sure enough, they're out!

Just a heads-up for everyone who's in the same boat...

do you have any idea how long it takes for scores to get to schools? I just took it 11/7 (the October date was my brother's wedding! and brother >> gre) and I am worried it will not get to some of my schools in time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they said they'd be mailing out the scores around the 20th.

I'm not sure how long they take to mail out the scores, but I do know that a lot of programs understand that they can be slow/get lost/etc. and are willing to wait a bit for scores as long as you have everything else in. If you email the program coordinators and explain your situation, I bet they'll understand.

I think they said they'd be mailing out the scores around the 20th.

I'm not sure how long they take to mail out the scores, but I do know that a lot of programs understand that they can be slow/get lost/etc. and are willing to wait a bit for scores as long as you have everything else in. If you email the program coordinators and explain your situation, I bet they'll understand.

Thanks, it isn't required for any of my schools- just "strongly recommended" . But as I was not a psych major, my GPA is lower than average and I feel I did well on the subject test, it may help compensate.

That's exactly why I took it, too (well, I was a psych major, but my GPA was mediocre). That's also why I called early to get my scores--so I'd know whether to send it out to schools or not, and I want to get my apps in soon.

That's exactly why I took it, too (well, I was a psych major, but my GPA was mediocre). That's also why I called early to get my scores--so I'd know whether to send it out to schools or not, and I want to get my apps in soon.

That was my original plan. I wouldn't decide whether to send it out until I got my score. But now I realize I don't have the luxury of time and I feel that I did pretty good. if only I had more money in my checking account. I am afraid some of these fees are going to have to go on a credit card. ;(

Ugh! I'm an hour too late to check them! I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow then...

Yeah, I'm hoping to avoid using my credit card for any of this, but I think it might be inevitable, unfortunately.

Good luck with the scores, everyone!

FWIW, I did a lot better than I thought I had. Like, dance-around-the-room-in-joy a lot better.

Good news: I did pretty well, a 740 (91st percentile). Bad news: it has little weight in admission decisions. To echo a previous poster: I'm just happy to be done with these tests

I'm trying to decide if it's worth the $12 to call and find out or if I should just wait...decisions, decisions...

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when they're going to mail out the scores? No way I'm paying to get mine

My sentiments exactly. Not a chance am I forking over more money to ETS, especially $12 just for them to read me a number over the phone.:thumbdown:

Good news: I did pretty well, a 740 (91st percentile). Bad news: it has little weight in admission decisions. To echo a previous poster: I'm just happy to be done with these tests

I'm hoping it does hold some weight in terms of admissions if you do really well! I got a 780 (97%ile) and I'm hoping it will offset my low-ish GPA.

I spoke to a woman in the phone about it just now- she said they were being mailed out today. So hopefully that's true.

I'm soo mad, though:

I ordered my scores to be sent out to my schools about a month ago--right after I took the general test Oct 18. APPARENTLY those scores got sent to all my schools (which cost me a grand total of $300), but my subject test scores didn't get sent b/c they only send scores that are available at the time. So, I had to REORDER score reports for the subject test (again, at $20 a pop) now that they're available.

Silly me, I assumed that if you order them, they'll send them when they become available.

I hope no one else made this horrible mistake.

I have now spent more money on GRE-related things than I have on anything else this year. :mad:

I spoke to a woman in the phone about it just now- she said they were being mailed out today. So hopefully that's true.

I'm soo mad, though:

I ordered my scores to be sent out to my schools about a month ago--right after I took the general test Oct 18. APPARENTLY those scores got sent to all my schools (which cost me a grand total of $300), but my subject test scores didn't get sent b/c they only send scores that are available at the time. So, I had to REORDER score reports for the subject test (again, at $20 a pop) now that they're available.

Silly me, I assumed that if you order them, they'll send them when they become available.

I have now spent more money on GRE-related things than I have on anything else this year. :mad:

This does not please me - are you sure they don't get sent two batches? One when the regular scores are ready and one when the subject scores are ready? That was the impression I got when I did score requests. Otherwise I'll have to reorder some, too, which would suck. Damned ETS and their money rackets....

I'm soo mad, though:

I ordered all mine online and you can only order the scores for the tests that are currently available when you order. There's an OPTION to send all your scores (subject and general) but it tells you on the very first ordering page which are available (for me it was only general).

Regardless, I'm pretty sure even if you ordered them both at once, you'd still have to pay for both scores ($40 it total-$20 each). I'm sure ETS wouldn't let us off that easy : )

I ordered all mine online and you can only order the scores for the tests that are currently available when you order. There's an OPTION to send all your scores (subject and general) but it tells you on the very first ordering page which are available (for me it was only general).

Regardless, I'm pretty sure even if you ordered them both at once, you'd still have to pay for both scores ($40 it total-$20 each). I'm sure ETS wouldn't let us off that easy : )

When I ordered mine, it gave me the option to select both score dates even though I hadn't actually sat for the subject test yet (I had already registered)...I'll have to see what happens when I get the score report in the mail as to whether or not they sent the extra ones. Fortunately only a handful of my schools require it, so I'm not *too* screwed if they didn't send to all the ones I had requested.

Oh no! I did the same thing. How do you know this?

I talked to the ETS guy on the phone today, and you can order both sent on the same report and it will only cost the same price. At least that was the impression I got, since he said that my 4 schools I picked to have scores sent to would receive both my general and my subject test

I talked to the ETS guy on the phone today, and you can order both sent on the same report and it will only cost the same price. At least that was the impression I got, since he said that my 4 schools I picked to have scores sent to would receive both my general and my subject test

Would you have to pay for both, or is it like a 2-for-1 deal?

Would you have to pay for both, or is it like a 2-for-1 deal?

You pay per school, not per test. But in my case, I have to resend since they didn't have the subject test scores to send at the time.

When I ordered mine, it gave me the option to select both score dates even though I hadn't actually sat for the subject test yet (I had already registered)...I'll have to see what happens when I get the score report in the mail as to whether or not they sent the extra ones. Fortunately only a handful of my schools require it, so I'm not *too* screwed if they didn't send to all the ones I had requested.

That's what happened to me, too, except that I had already taken the test, so I thought it'd be ok. You'll have to resend. :(
And I'm sure they don't get sent in 2 batches: that's what I had assumed, too. But the lady on the phone today said that it's just "their policy". Ugh!!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but since I found out I figured I'd let everyone know just in case.

That's weird because when I was filling out the 4 free score reports on friday (I took the subject test this Sat), the lady on the phone said they are going to wait until the scores for the subject test are scored before they send out both general and subject tests...

now you got me all worried :scared:

I have a question as well-

Many of the schools I am applying to do not indicate a department code (ex.: 2001 for clinical psych). Am I to assume that I need to fill out a department code for these schools or should I skip that step and send the scores w/o department codes? I would hate for my scores to get mixed up in the process.

READ THIS!!!!!!!

So after I took the GRE general and the GRE subject test, I ordered on the ETS website for my scores to be sent out. Today, I called and spoke to a number of different ETS employees and they each explained their policy that they only sends the scores that are in. So, the GRE subject test scores that I ordered, won't be sent out. Therefore, I'm forced to reorder the subject scores. They charge a flat rate of $20 per recipient, and so this really adds up quickly. It's especially annoying because I just went through this process of ordering scores. On my third call today, I asked to speak with a supervisor. This guy responded by saying that there is nothing he can do, it's just their "policy." I continued to reinforce what a stupid policy this is (although I didn't use these exact words, I was very blunt). But seriously, if I ordered the GRE general and GRE subject to go out, after I took both tests, then why shouldn't they be sent out when the scores come in! This went back and forth for quite some time. Eventually, he caved and agreed to refund half of my total purchase ($140 of the original $280). Anyways, it feels good to win a small battle against the ETS goliath. I suggest that you call and voice your concern with this policy. Hopefully you can get some compensation as well.

I have a question as well-

Many of the schools I am applying to do not indicate a department code (ex.: 2001 for clinical psych). Am I to assume that I need to fill out a department code for these schools or should I skip that step and send the scores w/o department codes? I would hate for my scores to get mixed up in the process.

At least half of my schools do not use dept codes. If the website is not clear, I would email for clarification. I think since most schools use online applications that go through general graduate admissions as a first step, it makes sense.

anyone know what a good score to send is? If they don't recommend it or require it is around a 700 worth sending?

READ THIS!!!!!!!

So after I took the GRE general and the GRE subject test, I ordered on the ETS website for my scores to be sent out. Today, I called and spoke to a number of different ETS employees and they each explained their policy that they only sends the scores that are in. So, the GRE subject test scores that I ordered, won't be sent out. Therefore, I'm forced to reorder the subject scores. They charge a flat rate of $20 per recipient, and so this really adds up quickly. It's especially annoying because I just went through this process of ordering scores. On my third call today, I asked to speak with a supervisor. This guy responded by saying that there is nothing he can do, it's just their "policy." I continued to reinforce what a stupid policy this is (although I didn't use these exact words, I was very blunt). But seriously, if I ordered the GRE general and GRE subject to go out, after I took both tests, then why shouldn't they be sent out when the scores come in! This went back and forth for quite some time. Eventually, he caved and agreed to refund half of my total purchase ($140 of the original $280). Anyways, it feels good to win a small battle against the ETS goliath. I suggest that you call and voice your concern with this policy. Hopefully you can get some compensation as well.

Does this apply for the 4 free score reports as well (I took the subject test this past sat)????

anyone know what a good score to send is? If they don't recommend it or require it is around a 700 worth sending?

That's a good score. There is a lot less variability in the subject scores compared with the general scores.

Has anyone received their scores via mail yet?

Alas, no. Which is frustrating - I have three departmental packets I can't mail off until I get those scores! And I'm being cheap - no $12 phone scores for me. :mad:

I checked the mailbox today almost certain it was going to be in there. Alas, it was not. Grrrr ETS! I feel like I'm waiting for Godot...

I received my scores yesterday... and I also paid the $12 fee for my scores on the 9th. If I had known I would receive the score report a week later, I would have waited! Oh well, I don't even care anymore... just glad I'm done with taking GRE's forever!

Got mine today. Low 700's. No complaints!

Got mine in the mail yesterday, very nice to have it in writing!

That said, some of my schools requested photocopied GRE scores to accompany paper application materials (while they wait for the official $20 reports, presumably.) Since I took the General GRE in August, those scores are also listed on yesterday's report, but so are the schools that I already sent my four 4 freebie reports to.

Anyone know of a different (but still ETS emblazoned) form I could send to the photocopy requesters? I'm probably over-thinking this, but I'd rather not provide my schools with a partial list of other programs I applied to.

I had the same thought... well, more that I didn't want them to see that their program wasn't as high of a priority for me as the other "freebie" schools. In the end I decided that I'm overthinking it and I don't think there's any other option.

My other half sent me a text message saying my scores came in the mail today - woot! :)

Anyone know of a different (but still ETS emblazoned) form I could send to the photocopy requesters? I'm probably over-thinking this, but I'd rather not provide my schools with a partial list of other programs I applied to.

I've been thinking about this, too. Last year I just made copies with the schools on them. I don't think anyone cared. It's not like they don't know that you're applying to other schools--and they don't necessarily know that the ones listed on that report are your freebies (that could have been a report from sending them to four schools you paid for--you get the same reports after you order scores).

I also think you could just put a post-it over the school's names when you're copying them.

Honestly, though, I doubt they care much.

Got mine in the mail today - 98%!!

*happy dance*

:soexcited:

Ah!! Just called my dad cause they were sending them to that address. Not as good as I expected (or as good as all of you, I'm sure) but that's ok.

Anyone having trouble viewing or ordering their subject scores online? Only my General test scores are showing up? Are they just not available yet, or do I need to call ETS?