Subjects to take for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LittlePuppy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aside from the general prereqs that med school require, what other subjects would be beneficial for the MCAT? I read mixed reviews about microbio, genetics, and cell bio. I have taken the following:
BIO 1 and 2, Gen Chem 1 and 2, and currently finishing of Physics, OChem, and Biochem.

Would there be any other subjects beneficial for the MCAT? Or would self-studying using the MCAT prep books be sufficient for the other courses?

Members don't see this ad.

take cell bio, it would be good. I asked a bunch of senior who said they that they should have taken cell bio in their sophomore or junior year prior to taking the MCAT.

Psychology or Sociology could be helpful if you're trying to fill out your schedule. By no means is it necessary to take those, but it could help being familiar with stuff from a class. A genetics class will go WAY further into detail than is required on the MCAT -- that being said, I don't think I ever missed a genetics question on any practice material after taking a genetics class. Cell Bio would be one I'd recommend since it deals more with interpretation of figures and data.

The class you must take is Biochemistry, and maybe experimental methods class to get the hang of analyzing data. Personally, I never took physics and psychology, but I was able to learn them myself and still did good on the actual test.

I highly recommend taking a critical thinking class. Or any class that has you critically read a lot of essays. The earlier you do this, the better positioned you'll be for CARS. Plus, critical thinking is kind of important as a doc...

Good luck!