Submit AADSAS May 15th or June 1st?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zhopik

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am a little confused about when to actually submit my app. I thought that the app became available may 15th, but you couldn't officially submit until June 1st . . . is this the case? Or can you acutally submit may 15th?

Also, I am re-taking the DAT at the end of July, so when would it be better for me to submit AADSAS? if in may, then wouldn't the schools have my app way before they get my updated scores? And if they put your app on hold, does that mean that they look at it as soon as your scores come in, or does it go to the bottom of the pile?

I have seen a lot of people replying on here that if your app will not have updated scores, that you should let the D-schools know that you will be re-taking the DAT, but isn't that obvious from the DAT section in AADSAS? or do they need additional confirmation? If so, do I just send a letter to each school?

so many questions . . . sorry guys . . . please reply!!

Members don't see this ad.

The application opens up on May 15th so you can start filling it out which may take up to 2 weeks. June 1st is the actual day you can pay and submit your info..good luck!
So, I am a little confused about when to actually submit my app. I thought that the app became available may 15th, but you couldn't officially submit until June 1st . . . is this the case? Or can you acutally submit may 15th?

Also, I am re-taking the DAT at the end of July, so when would it be better for me to submit AADSAS? if in may, then wouldn't the schools have my app way before they get my updated scores? And if they put your app on hold, does that mean that they look at it as soon as your scores come in, or does it go to the bottom of the pile?

I have seen a lot of people replying on here that if your app will not have updated scores, that you should let the D-schools know that you will be re-taking the DAT, but isn't that obvious from the DAT section in AADSAS? or do they need additional confirmation? If so, do I just send a letter to each school?

so many questions . . . sorry guys . . . please reply!!

thanks! that makes me feel way less crazy!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I filled it out and submitted on the same day. May 15th.

yea i submitted and paid may 23...you can def do it before june 1

I have just told my proffs to have the letters in by may 15th onward. Is this ok?

Zhopik, you took all of my questions right out of my mouth!!!

what ARE we supposed to do about retaking the DAT?
is there a way to inform the d schools on our application that we will be taking them again??
it could be a potential booster for my application, and i wouldnt want the d schools to look at my app without it. i still want to submit the app before i take the DAT again..... better to apply early right?
what to dooooo :eek:

Sorry If I was no help! For some reasone I submitted my June 1st...which was okahy because I got into a lot of schools...which I know has to do with submitting early. Get all your stuff ready early and use a health committee at your school to do your LOR's. It makes it much easier!!

Okay, here's my game plan. If anyone sees any reason why this is bad, PLEASE let me know!

May - have yet another "committee interview" from my letter of rec file service
May 15th - start AADSAS
June 1st - submit AADSAS
July 20th-25th ish: re-take the DAT

Okay, here's my game plan. If anyone sees any reason why this is bad, PLEASE let me know!

May - have yet another "committee interview" from my letter of rec file service
May 15th - start AADSAS
June 1st - submit AADSAS
July 20th-25th ish: re-take the DAT

This is similar to what I'm looking at for a timeline as well, except I'm shooting for mid-end of June for the DAT. My committee letter won't be done until mid-June at the earliest, so there really is no immediate rush to complete the AADSAS application since they won't be sending anything out until they get my DAT scores and the committee letter.

This is similar to what I'm looking at for a timeline as well, except I'm shooting for mid-end of June for the DAT. My committee letter won't be done until mid-June at the earliest, so there really is no immediate rush to complete the AADSAS application since they won't be sending anything out until they get my DAT scores and the committee letter.

you should get your AADSAS application in as soon as possible because it takes several weeks to process. your DAT scores get sent directly to the schools by the ADA. AADSAS will send out your application without LORs but keep in mind that schools wont review your application until it is complete.

I heard from other students @ school that d-schools dont start looking at the application until august...& i actually read tht on one of the d-school website (dont remember which school) ...is this true? does this apply to all schools?
if this is the case...then whts the rush of getting in application in june....i will have everything done but DAT...coz m planning on taking DAT in first week of Aug...coz i need atleast 3 months to prepare for it...so m going to be studying for DAT through out whole summer....any comments???

thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
i've been reading the thread from texas, and they started getting letters for interviews in july...like letter came in july interview was in august

My advice is to apply when you are ready. Take an extra week or two to make sure everything is perfect. Schools won't be impressed that you were the 183rd person to apply, they care about your application, which they won't get to until late summer.

Just my two cents.

Based on my experiences and what I've seen over the last year on SDN and last couple years of friends applying and getting into dental school...

It takes up to 6 weeks to 2 months for AADSAS to process your application, so if you submit the application on June 1st, it could take until August 1st before schools actually get the application. This 2-month thing varies depending upon 2 things mostly:

1) Transcripts - AADSAS will only review and double check your application once transcripts from all your schools arrive. So if you submit on June 1st, but your transcripts don't arrive until July 14th, then your application isn't going to get sent out quite as early as you thought.

2) How many people submit early and get their transcripts in - If a lot of people submit early, AADSAS gets backlogged and it takes longer than the 6-8 weeks they claim for them to process your application and send it out. That is why they say submit early because since more people are submitting earlier...it is taking longer to process and get the applications out to school.

Schools start interviewing at different times: The early ones (like Texas schools, Case Western, etc.) start reveiwing applications during the summer (July and August I think). Texas schools offer interviews starting sometime in late July and early August. Case Western was interviewing students last year as early as mid-august.

Other schools start looking at applications later, but it's best to have your application at the school early nowadays, so that's why everyone says apply early.

AADSAS sends out your completed and reviewed application with or without your Letters of rec, so it is good to get your Letters in early, but it doesn't matter. Even if you're letters show up at AADSAS after they already mail out your application, they will forward your letters on to all the schools as they come in.

Everyone else above already explained how the DAT scores get to schools.

its not submitting your AADSAS app that's important, it's sending in the transcripts. send in the transcript may 8th, giving it a week to get there (or closer to may 15). submit your AADSAS when your are ready. i already knew what the format looked like, so i copied and pasted all my stuff and submitted may 29th (but it was a weekend, so probably like june 1 realistically). i think schools will get it earliest sometime in early july.

its not submitting your AADSAS app that's important, it's sending in the transcripts. send in the transcript may 8th, giving it a week to get there (or closer to may 15). submit your AADSAS when your are ready. i already knew what the format looked like, so i copied and pasted all my stuff and submitted may 29th (but it was a weekend, so probably like june 1 realistically). i think schools will get it earliest sometime in early july.

Sending a transcript on May 8th doesn't work for everyone since quite a few people need to wait for these last semester or quater grades to come out if they put them on the AADSAS.

Also, there is a transcript matching form that you print out after you register for the 2008 AADSAS on May 15th. This form has your AADSAS number on it so that they can properly file your transcripts. You can't get the transcript matching form before registering, so although you could send the transcripts before you sign up...I wouldn't advise it since it just gives AADSAS another reason why they could mess up your application because you didn't follow their instructions to the tee.

Sending a transcript on May 8th doesn't work for everyone since quite a few people need to wait for these last semester or quater grades to come out if they put them on the AADSAS.

Also, there is a transcript matching form that you print out after you register for the 2008 AADSAS on May 15th. This form has your AADSAS number on it so that they can properly file your transcripts. You can't get the transcript matching form before registering, so although you could send the transcripts before you sign up...I wouldn't advise it since it just gives AADSAS another reason why they could mess up your application because you didn't follow their instructions to the tee.

what do i do with the transcript matching form? am I supposed to mail it to the registrar? I applied last year and didnt use it, and AADSAS didnt screw that up, but still . . . i'd rather be safe than sorry this time around. However, I graduated and moved away . . . so I'm not sure what to do since I don't have direct access to the registrar's office anymore . . .

dj jeff is right, completely forgot about the matching form. but do it when it first comes out ASAP!

what do i do with the transcript matching form? am I supposed to mail it to the registrar? I applied last year and didnt use it, and AADSAS didnt screw that up, but still . . . i'd rather be safe than sorry this time around. However, I graduated and moved away . . . so I'm not sure what to do since I don't have direct access to the registrar's office anymore . . .

Well, since you're not physically in the city anymore, send a letter to your registrars office with payment for the transcript, whatever forms you need to fill out to request the transcript from your school (or a letter requesting the transcript) and specify somewhere to please send the transcript with the matching form that you have sent them.

It wouldn't hurt to call the school too to make sure you are doing everything right and you won't get your letter back fromt he registrat a week later with a note saying you didn't include all the info they needed for them to process your request.

Thanks for all the input everyone!!! You've really been a great help, and I really appreciate it :)

Thanks for all the info...its really helpful!

I am going to use my school service for LORs...i already have 4 LORs & i am planning on getting 1 more science prof during my summer term...therefore i wont get my 5th LOR until the end of summer (end of july or 1st week of Aug) so i was just worried that i will be left behind in my application procedure....but i guess from what i read i should be ok if i submit my application through addsas (~june 1st) & submit my LORs through my school in the first week of August...since d-schools wont recieve my application till like late july i should be fine right?....

i have one more question...does it matter if you get LOR from CC prof or 4-yr uni prof?I transfered last semester from CC to 4-yr uni...thats y i dont know many prof at 4-year uni... i already got 1 science prof LOR from the class that i took at CC...& now i want to get 1 from 4-yr uni...which i am planning to get during summer like i said before...that is why i wont get my 5th LOR until august....

what do you guys think about that? if it does not matter then i will go talk to my chem teacher at VCC & get a letter from her...that way my application procedure wont be delayed.

thanks in advance!!

yes you'll be fine. just make sure and get your app in early like you said cuz it seems schools take a while anyway....and then get your LORS in, together. :thumbup:

about that transcript matching form... omg.. what if you order your transcript online to be directly sent to AADSAS..which is what my school does, how the heck I will get them to use that matching form? That is insane!

Thanks for all the info...its really helpful!

I am going to use my school service for LORs...i already have 4 LORs & i am planning on getting 1 more science prof during my summer term...therefore i wont get my 5th LOR until the end of summer (end of july or 1st week of Aug) so i was just worried that i will be left behind in my application procedure....but i guess from what i read i should be ok if i submit my application through addsas (~june 1st) & submit my LORs through my school in the first week of August...since d-schools wont recieve my application till like late july i should be fine right?....

i have one more question...does it matter if you get LOR from CC prof or 4-yr uni prof?I transfered last semester from CC to 4-yr uni...thats y i dont know many prof at 4-year uni... i already got 1 science prof LOR from the class that i took at CC...& now i want to get 1 from 4-yr uni...which i am planning to get during summer like i said before...that is why i wont get my 5th LOR until august....

what do you guys think about that? if it does not matter then i will go talk to my chem teacher at VCC & get a letter from her...that way my application procedure wont be delayed.

thanks in advance!!

didnt i hear something somewhere about aadsas changing the number of lors they will process??? its still 5, right?

about that transcript matching form... omg.. what if you order your transcript online to be directly sent to AADSAS..which is what my school does, how the heck I will get them to use that matching form? That is insane!

Your school probably has a "special processing" option. (I had transcripts from four schools and all four had this check box). You check the box, mail the Registrar the AADSAS form and you are good to go.

im not retaking dat until august, guess I have to have two sets of DAT scores sent to the schools....my old scores when I send in aadsas, and my new scores after I retake the DAT.....how much does that suck.........will the schools I'm applying to still need me to send them my old scores if I indicate on my application that I'm retaking in August?...or do you think that would just make my application incomplete for too long, especially after who knows how many weeks it will actually take the ADA to get my new scores to the schools, it could end up being the end of sept. by the time they actually receive my updated scores......what do u guys think? I'm thinking i'll have to have them sent twice, which will basically cost me twice as much $$.:thumbdown:

thanks

Regardless of whether you send an old copy or not, they will automatically put your application on hold once they read that you are planning to re-take the DATs. So even if you send your old DAT scores, but put that you're re-taking it, they will not evaluate your old score.

Regardless of whether you send an old copy or not, they will automatically put your application on hold once they read that you are planning to re-take the DATs. So even if you send your old DAT scores, but put that you're re-taking it, they will not evaluate your old score.

So I'm thinking I should not indicate on my application that I'm retaking the DAT, simply so my application does not get put on hold.....after I retake the DAT, I can send the scores out and they can update my already active and complete application.....man, i'm really not sure what to do here...i could use some help.

thanks

Hey Sir Shag,

Im in the same hole ur in. Im retaking my DAT late june/early July and dont want my apps to be on hold til maybe august. I too d/n know whether I should put my old scores and indicate Im retaking or not do anything at all and wait and retake then update my apps. HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!

Hey Sir Shag,

Im in the same hole ur in. Im retaking my DAT late june/early July and dont want my apps to be on hold til maybe august. I too d/n know whether I should put my old scores and indicate Im retaking or not do anything at all and wait and retake then update my apps. HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!

Sry to hear that. You know when I think about it, nothing is really set in stone...I'm pretty sure I'm retaking the DAT but not positive...One thing I do know for sure is that I def. won't have the money to pay the DAT application before may 15th - june 1st (when I submit my AADSAS). So I guess if i haven't even applied to take the DAT before I submit AADSAS then I can, in my own messed up way, justify not indicating on my AADSAS that I'll be retaking the DAT. Previous debates on this topic have centered simply on a moral basis, but now there is a very logical reason not to report such intentions, I dont want my app. to be on hold......besides, the scores I have now aren't too bad, they are just old. Any advice or opinions are welcome here.

Thanks

If I had my AADSAS app in on May 15th but only specified one school to send it to, they would go ahead and process it in their normal 6-8 week timeframe. My question is this: if after I hear about my Early Decision Program in June(and say for example-sake its a no) I have AADSAS send the app to other d-schools in addition to the one previously specified... do I have to wait another 6-8 weeks for the app to "process" or is it already "processed" from the first school and they just have to send it to different schools? Unfortunately this is the situation I'm stuck with... Any ideas?

If I had my AADSAS app in on May 15th but only specified one school to send it to, they would go ahead and process it in their normal 6-8 week timeframe. My question is this: if after I hear about my Early Decision Program in June(and say for example-sake its a no) I have AADSAS send the app to other d-schools in addition to the one previously specified... do I have to wait another 6-8 weeks for the app to "process" or is it already "processed" from the first school and they just have to send it to different schools? Unfortunately this is the situation I'm stuck with... Any ideas?

As long as you don't make any changes to your application, which takes time for them to incorporate, it shouldn't take that long (<2 weeks) to have your application resent to additional schools. What's this "Early Decision Program", though?

Its through my state school, U of MN. It allows you to apply early through their admissions office, but decisions aren't being released this year until on or after May 30 (after many people will have already submitted AADSAS). One of the catches of this program, though, is that you have to be committed to ONLY the U of MN unless you are rejected from the early decision program... which is why, if it doesn't work out, I will have to add more schools to my AADSAS after I hear about early decision.