Submit AMCAS: wait until Spring Quarter grades come in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silverlining1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a bit of a dilemma regarding when to submit my AMCAS. I would like to get it in as early as possible of course, but my Spring Quarter grades will not be available until June 19. I am wondering if I should submit the AMCAS as soon as I can and just update the schools later with my new grades, or if I should wait until after the Spring grades are available. Some things that I am considering:

-I have taken only 2 classes per quarter for Fall and Winter this year. This is because I have been studying for the MCAT, but I also TA'd 2 classes, did a lot of volunteering, and started working on my honors thesis. So, I haven't been slacking, but I haven't taken a lot of class. I did pull straight A's during these past 2 quarters, which brought up my GPA.
-I am back up to 4 classes this quarter. I am thinking that maybe I should wait for these grades so that I can show the schools some more upper division bio classes and show them that I can take a full course load. However, I am not confident that I will get straight A's.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on whether I should apply before or after the spring grades come out. I actually asked this in another thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=388899 but it was kind of hidden, so I got few responses, and I would appreciate more opinions. Also, my MDapps is here http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=7159 if that helps put perspective on what kind of applicant I am. By the way, the MCAT score is the highest combined from practice; I just took the MCAT 2 days ago and will have the score in a month.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I don't think the June 19th submission will hurt you. You will still be WAY ahead of the curve. I would bet you still get verified pretty quickly.

The question is, would this extra grouping of classes hurt or help your GPA which is what a lot of the initial screening will be based on.

If you think it will help, by all means wait. If you think it will hurt, I'd submit early and then update with the coursework and mention it on secondaries.

Well, I don't think the June 19th submission will hurt you. You will still be WAY ahead of the curve. I would bet you still get verified pretty quickly.

The question is, would this extra grouping of classes hurt or help your GPA which is what a lot of the initial screening will be based on.

If you think it will help, by all means wait. If you think it will hurt, I'd submit early and then update with the coursework and mention it on secondaries.
More likely than not, it will hurt my GPA but not significantly. I anticipate A's and B's, but I will work towards all A's. It seems that you're implying that it doesn't matter that I will be taking more classes this quarter including upper division bio, while I had a lighter courseload earlier in the year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would very much appreciate more opinions.

What is the timetable on updating schools if we choose to send in our transcripts early? If we anticipate our spring grades to hurt our GPA, should we update after submitting secondaries, after interviews, after acceptances, or what? Basically, I'm wondering how long we can delay updating. And what exactly is "updating?" Do we just request for an updated transcript to be sent directly to the med schools?

I didn't read everything, but you should wait and submit your grades to AMCAS and not to schools individually later. June 19 is still VERY early, and the schools are much more likely to notice the grades on your AMCAS and likely to overlook additional information.

So, I had a similar dilemma except in my case it would have helped my GPA to wait until Spring quarter grades were out. If it will at all do any damage to your GPA, I say you are better off submitting it before those grades are on your transcript. If you want to update them later with your grades, that's fine, but it won't be re-calculated into your GPA, it will just serve as an update. Also, you will be submitted the AMCAS earlier which is another added bonus. If you explain your lighter course load in your personal statement or in some other form, I think you're fine, especially since you were TA-ing and working on your thesis.

Just my .02 :)

I've got a bit of a dilemma regarding when to submit my AMCAS. I would like to get it in as early as possible of course, but my Spring Quarter grades will not be available until June 19. I am wondering if I should submit the AMCAS as soon as I can and just update the schools later with my new grades, or if I should wait until after the Spring grades are available. Some things that I am considering:

-I have taken only 2 classes per quarter for Fall and Winter this year. This is because I have been studying for the MCAT, but I also TA'd 2 classes, did a lot of volunteering, and started working on my honors thesis. So, I haven't been slacking, but I haven't taken a lot of class. I did pull straight A's during these past 2 quarters, which brought up my GPA.
-I am back up to 4 classes this quarter. I am thinking that maybe I should wait for these grades so that I can show the schools some more upper division bio classes and show them that I can take a full course load. However, I am not confident that I will get straight A's.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on whether I should apply before or after the spring grades come out. I actually asked this in another thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=388899 but it was kind of hidden, so I got few responses, and I would appreciate more opinions. Also, my MDapps is here http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=7159 if that helps put perspective on what kind of applicant I am. By the way, the MCAT score is the highest combined from practice; I just took the MCAT 2 days ago and will have the score in a month.

Thank you!

Wait till the 19th. Thats still very early and you won't be at any disadvantage at all for waiting. It will save you the work of having to update all the schools you applied to when you get your grades 19 days later.