Submit committee letter w/ another one on top of it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

over

Reaction score
My premed committee has a deadline next month to submit LORs. They only require one science which I got covered, but I think schools prefer two. This semester I have a professor whom I asked to write me one, but she said I need to complete her course first, which is fair. If I get one later, should I put her letter in addition to the committee letter?
I'm also applying DO, and I haven't got the chance to shadow a DO. If I find a DO to write me a letter should I add that too?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak on whether or not the letters themselves will help or be needed, but if you are worried about the idea of submitting a LOR in addition to a committee letter, don't be! I submitted a committee evaluation letter (which also contained the individual letters) and another LOR on top of it (I got a new PI after the deadline, similar to you). No school seemed to have a problem with it.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I can't speak on whether or not the letters themselves will help or be needed, but if you are worried about the idea of submitting a LOR in addition to a committee letter, don't be! I submitted a committee evaluation letter (which also contained the individual letters) and another LOR on top of it (I got a new PI after the deadline, similar to you). No school seemed to have a problem with it.
This^^^^. The general rule is that, when available, a committee letter is preferred, and a committee letter satisfies all other LOR requirements (other than at places like Harvard, where they also want a letter from each PI).

What you need to do is follow the specific guidance provided by each school you are applying to rather than generic guidance you receive from us. If a DO school happens to want a shadowing LOR, yeah, that will be extra, but shadowing LORs are generally worthless since the writer is observing you observing them, which generally doesn't provide a lot of useful insight to an adcom.

Reactions: 1 user