Submit ERAS with 1 LOR missing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedPeony

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 3 letters in, but my 4th (which is the only one in the specialty I'm applying to) has not been completed yet. Should I submit my application yet or wait until that one is in? I'm not clear on what happens when my last LOR is handed in (hopefully soon). Will it automatically go to programs I assign it to, or do I have to officially update my application if I've already submitted? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if once assigned the letter will automatically be sent once uploaded. Maybe someone else could answer this?

But I think in general people say submit the application regardless of LOR status.

You can't assign a LOR that hasn't already been uploaded - so once it is uploaded, you will have to go in and assign it to programs...that is my understanding!

So, just to clarify, if you submitted your application without having all your LoRs, then they get uploaded, you just have to assign them and that's it? Do you have to re-submit your application or anything like that? Will they automatically send the new LoR to all programs/will the programs know new LoRs are available?

Yes, that's it. They will automatically appear in your application. If a program is filtering for applications with > some number of letters, once your application has that number it will appear for review. And we can run a report on any application activity (i.e. additions / changes) over a period of time. So there is no need to contact programs about updates.

Reactions: 1 users