Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Submit LoR after secondaries are in - worth anything?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by justapremed, May 26, 2008.

1. justapremed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would like to ask my research advisor for an LoR, but only after I've spent some more quality time in lab this summer. So if I get a letter from her by mid-Aug or late-Aug (which, ideally, would be way after my secondaries have already been submitted), would that be worth anything?

I only have academic professors' LoR's right now, the bare minimum for some schools, and I thought it would be nice to help someone else write me an LoR, but at this very moment, I don't think she could write me the best LoR, which makes me want to wait before asking her for one. But if it's not gonna help me any in the process, I wouldn't worry about it... Anyone know?

Also, does it add a LOT to my app if I ask someone from the hospital I volunteered at to write me a LoR? My only problem is, in all honesty, I didn't have much interaction with the MD's. I was in the ER and they were so busy that literally, there weren't enough of them. So my interaction mostly came from nurse technicians and some RN's. Would it help me to get a LoR from them if they could just write about how helpful and committed I was or something?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. justapremed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Anyone know?? :confused:

4. justapremed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    eek! seriously, no one? bumping one last time.

5. Tygacil

Tygacil Phar_MD
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think a lot of the decision rests on how strong your academic LOR are. If they are strong, then maybe its no big deal. If they're so-so, go ahead and get your researcher to write you one. As long as te adcoms have it before your interview, then it can only help you.

I wouldn't bother with the hospital LORs since you can't get an MD. Just make sure you have it down as an EC, which I'm sure you do.