Submit primary early with late MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rajp98

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently scheduled for 6/30 MCAT, aiming for a 510+, however I took two of the AAMC practice exams and my score has not been in my target range.

AAMC FL 1 (6/5): 496 (122/123/124/127)

AAMC FL 3 (Yesterday): 501 (123/124/127/127)

At this point I'm going to postpone to 7/20. However, I'm looking to take a few days out rn and submit AMCAS. Even though my score wouldnt be back until 8/21, is this a good game plan? Any recomemndations?

Members don't see this ad.

Postpone it! Are you going for MD? If so, you definitely want to take a gap year and study more for the MCAT. Unless you really luck out (or get really unlucky), you will end up around your practice exam scores.

Postpone it! Are you going for MD? If so, you definitely want to take a gap year and study more for the MCAT. Unless you really luck out (or get really unlucky), you will end up around your practice exam scores.
Going for MD. I plan to take 7/20 and submit an app this cycle, really dont want to take a gap year. Im hoping I can increase to atleast 508 by 7/20. Doable?

Members don't see this ad :)
Going for MD. I plan to take 7/20 and submit an app this cycle, really dont want to take a gap year. Im hoping I can increase to atleast 508 by 7/20. Doable?

We can’t say. Don’t take it until your FLs are consistently at your goal. Kinda sucks that you only have one AAMC FL left.

I don’t think this will work out. I think you will need more than a month to get it to a 508+ looking at what you got on the first 2 AAMCs.

I have a similar plan as you, postponed my exam to July, and submitted my materials early to be complete late August, early Sept. However, I scored 512+ on my AAMC exams, except for 510 on AAMC FL 3 with 125 C/P score which is what I am trying to improve. I have also been scoring 510 on my Next Step exams. I believe a month of extensive practice can get me to that 128 on the C/P section, esp since I know where my weaknesses are (organic and metabolism). In your case, I feel like it will be a larger hurdle to overcome since your first two AAMCs are pretty low. It looks like you need a lot of content review in C/P, but also need lots of practice for CARS. CARS takes the longest to improve, and idk if a month will do that for you. Getting a 128/122/128/128 would still warrant a retake and you prob don't want to be in that situation. But if you're going to do it, really hammer through CARS and practice timing. JW passages are good and AAMC is obviously a must. And know your content for sciences! What messed me up on FL 3 was my content knowledge in those two areas more than experimental analysis (and also, bad sleep the night before :smack:). So, know where your weaknesses are and focus on that. Good luck!