Submitted 1 primary in '19, but formally withdrew the secondary before review. Question about this.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dielsalder34

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What happened was a school opened up mid cycle in March of 2019. I submitted a primary application to the school. Unfortunatley, my letter of reccomendation got delayed past the school's secondary review deadline. So I couldn't fulfill the school's requirement of letters from 2 science professors. I called the school, explained the situation, and requested for my application to be closed. However, since I submitted a primary I am technically a reapplicant for next cycle.

I will be applying broadly in the 2020 cycle and I know many schools ask if you have applied to any medical school in a previous cycle. They also often times ask how you have improved your application since the last cycle. This is a bit hard for me to answer since my application was never reviewed. Also there will only be a 2 month gap between the two applications. So both applications will be largely the same.

I think I have hurt my 2020 application and I was looking for some advice on how to address this. Thank you for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My guess is OP picked a dumper school while MCAT was being scored and dropped due to terrible MCAT.

To OP, you will be considered a reapplicant only at that one school. Every other school will still see an MCAT retake, but not the original application

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for the response. I will repost this above. What happened was a school opened up mid cycle in March of 2019. I submitted a primary application to the school. Unfortunatley, my letter of reccomendation got delayed past the school's secondary review deadline. So I couldn't fulfill the school's requirement of letters from 2 science professors. I called the school, explained the situation, and requested for my application to be closed. However, since I submitted a primary I am technically a reapplicant for next cycle.

I will be applying broadly in the 2020 cycle and I know many schools ask if you have applied to any medical school in a previous cycle. They also often times ask how you have improved your application since the last cycle. This is a bit hard for me to answer since my application was never reviewed. Also there will only be a 2 month gap between the two applications. So both applications will be largely the same.

I think I have hurt my 2020 application and I was looking for some advice on how to address this. Thank you for any help.

My guess is OP picked a dumper school while MCAT was being scored and dropped due to terrible MCAT.

To OP, you will be considered a reapplicant only at that one school. Every other school will still see an MCAT retake, but not the original application
Thanks for the response. It thankfully wasn't that bad lol. I have posted the situation above. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for the response. I will repost this above. What happened was a school opened up mid cycle in March of 2019. I submitted a primary application to the school. Unfortunatley, my letter of reccomendation got delayed past the school's secondary review deadline. So I couldn't fulfill the school's requirement of letters from 2 science professors. I called the school, explained the situation, and requested for my application to be closed. However, since I submitted a primary I am technically a reapplicant for next cycle.

This situation certainly does not help you, but I don't think it will drastically hurt your application either. You have competitive stats for a lot of schools. So, as long as your narrative and essays are written well and clear, you should be fine. May I ask why you decided to submit a primary so late into the cycle?

This situation certainly does not help you, but I don't think it will drastically hurt your application either. You have competitive stats for a lot of schools. So, as long as your narrative and essays are written well and clear, you should be fine. May I ask why you decided to submit a primary so late into the cycle?

A school opened near my hometown in March 2019. They reviewed applications for their first class between March 1st and March 30th. I hastily submitted an application. At the time of the submission, I didn't know that so many schools ask if you are a reapplicant to any medical school. I figured they only cared if you were a reapplicant to their own school. Submitting the application was an error on my part.

What happened was a school opened up mid cycle in March of 2019. I submitted a primary application to the school. Unfortunatley, my letter of reccomendation got delayed past the school's secondary review deadline. So I couldn't fulfill the school's requirement of letters from 2 science professors. I called the school, explained the situation, and requested for my application to be closed. However, since I submitted a primary I am technically a reapplicant for next cycle.

Whenever you do not know how to answer a question, take a step back and consider just truthfully explaining the situation. You can certainly give a streamlined version of the truth on paper and on interviews. Schools will see that you are technically a re-applicant, but will also be able to quickly read your short description of what happened. If you are otherwise an appropriate candidate for a given school, I doubt they would hold your re-applicant status against you.

Reactions: 1 users
Whenever you do not know how to answer a question, take a step back and consider just truthfully explaining the situation. You can certainly give a streamlined version of the truth on paper and on interviews. Schools will see that you are technically a re-applicant, but will also be able to quickly read your short description of what happened. If you are otherwise an appropriate candidate for a given school, I doubt they would hold your re-applicant status against you.

This is helpful thank you. I guess all I can do is be truthful about the situation and hope that my judgement isn't questioned for getting myself into this situation.

This is helpful thank you. I guess all I can do is be truthful about the situation and hope that my judgement isn't questioned for getting myself into this situation.
This is not that unusual. The new NYU-Winthrop opened up last minute, in March, with little warning, and if it was possible for new applicants to get their primaries in through AMCAS in time, I am sure there were plenty of them, given the offer of free tuition. And since they will only be accepting 24 students for their first class, and were looking for evidence of strong primary care experience, most of these applicants will be rejected and therefore will be considered "reapplicants" for 2019-2020, even if they only applied to this one tiny school. (Ever see what happens when a truck carrying money is defective and starts spilling its cash on the highway? That is what the NYU-Winthrop virtual admissions office looks like these days....) So you will not be alone, especially this next year...

Reactions: 1 user