Submitted 4 letters of recommendations to internship sites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I've submitted in total about 7 internship apps thus far. The first three were pretty hectic for me, I was editing my cv, essays, and cover letters all in the last day before they were due.

So anyway, some sites ask for three letters of recommendation. Because I have four, I figured I'd just submit them all, and if they don't read the 4th one, then no big deal.

I got advice from a friend on internship to only submit three unless they specifically say they're good with four. I am now only submitting three to each site.

Anyway, will I be at a disadvantage at the sites where I submitted four for not following the directions? Or will they simply not read the 4th letter?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I'm mildly annoyed when people don't follow instructions. But what would I know at that end? Maybe one of your writers was AWOL and you got a backup, then the first writer reappeared. It would be sort of silly to hold it against someone, but I also probably wouldn't read the fourth letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I'm mildly annoyed when people don't follow instructions. But what would I know at that end? Maybe one of your writers was AWOL and you got a backup, then the first writer reappeared. It would be sort of silly to hold it against someone, but I also probably wouldn't read the fourth letter.

Same.

Annoyed, but far from a death knell.

Same.

Annoyed, but far from a death knell.

Agreed as well. From what I've seen and heard, a fourth letter (when only three are required) essentially never ends up helping, but can sometimes end up hurting. Thus, there's not much, if anything, to be gained by sending one. However, as T4C said, it's not likely to be an application killer at most sites.