Submitted my app late.. how is my situation looking? (Texas resident)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clutch21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a Texas resident. I am a nursing major and I have decided to apply to texas medical schools (I applied to Texas a&m, Dallas, Houston, Gavelston, and El paso). I have a 4.0 cGPA and a 34Q on the MCAT (VR 8, PS 13, BS 13).

ECs- I have about a 120 hrs of physican shadowing experience. However, as a nursing major, I have roughly 700hrs of hands on clinical experience caring for patients. I am in a few clubs, am a manager of two sports teams, and tutor students part time in science pre-reqs. I have experience as a research assistant and have done research of my own (did not publish). I have about 150hrs of community service.

I am worried about two things. first of all, I submitted my application and score late. My primary app was towards the end of august and my secondaries were not submitted until about a week ago. I just recieved my MCAT score so that was not sent until a few days ago. Secondly, I am not finished with my pre-reqs. Since I am a nursing major, and the scheduling is very tight I have had to take most of my pre-reqs in the summer. I have to finish organic chem which I plan on doing this summer. I know I am allowed to have unfinished pre-reqs as long as I finish them by time of enrollment in med school. However, I assume that unfinished pre-reqs will hurt an applicant.

With all this said, what do you think of my situation and my chances? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I am a Texas resident. I am a nursing major and I have decided to apply to texas medical schools (I applied to Texas a&m, Dallas, Houston, Gavelston, and El paso). I have a 4.0 cGPA and a 34Q on the MCAT (VR 8, PS 13, BS 13).

ECs- I have about a 120 hrs of physican shadowing experience. However, as a nursing major, I have roughly 700hrs of hands on clinical experience caring for patients. I am in a few clubs, am a manager of two sports teams, and tutor students part time in science pre-reqs. I have experience as a research assistant and have done research of my own (did not publish). I have about 150hrs of community service.

I am worried about two things. first of all, I submitted my application and score late. My primary app was towards the end of august and my secondaries were not submitted until about a week ago. I just recieved my MCAT score so that was not sent until a few days ago. Secondly, I am not finished with my pre-reqs. Since I am a nursing major, and the scheduling is very tight I have had to take most of my pre-reqs in the summer. I have to finish organic chem which I plan on doing this summer. I know I am allowed to have unfinished pre-reqs as long as I finish them by time of enrollment in med school. However, I assume that unfinished pre-reqs will hurt an applicant.

With all this said, what do you think of my situation and my chances? Thanks!
Seems like your stats would be good for Texas Tech, and very competitive for TCOM.

Just out of curiosity since I am an RN as well....have you worked at all, or are you doing a BSN program?

EDIT: The reason I mention TCOM is looking at their previous application threads they were continuously sending out more interview invites throughout the year, as well as accepting numerous applicants off the wait list later into spring. An why not add Texas Tech if you are applying to UTMB/Northwestern etc which have similiar acceptance stats. You applying to Baylor + UH or just UH?

Thanks for the response! I am a BSN student at UT Austin. I plan on graduating with my BSN, then get my RN in May 2013. Nice to meet a fellow nurse in the forum :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response! I am a BSN student at UT Austin. I plan on graduating with my BSN, then get my RN in May 2013. Nice to meet a fellow nurse in the forum :)

Not bad! Btw exceptional MCAT...most people believe nursing to be an easy major. It is not easy to make A's in your clinical (med surg etc classes). With a 4.0 and your MCAT i'm not sure how you wouldn't be accepted.

Thanks! Yeah many people don't realize how time intensive nursing school is. It definitely takes a good amount of dedication and hard work. What is your situation right now? Are you planning on going back for the pre-reqs?