Submitted my Letter of Intent too early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssycv1

Reaction score
I interviewed at my top-choice school on 11/5 and their first round of decisions won't come out until January. I expressed to my interviewers that their school has been my dream school for a long time, and yesterday I submitted a combined update letter + letter of intent (LOI) to the admissions office. Most of the letter contains updates since my secondary app, but I did mention that I would attend the school if accepted. I didn't realize that most people submit LOIs only after they are officially put on a waitlist, so now I am worried that submitting my LOI so early (less than two weeks after my interview) might be viewed unfavorably/hurt my chances...? Would appreciate any insight into this!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at my top-choice school on 11/5 and their first round of decisions won't come out until January. I expressed to my interviewers that their school has been my dream school for a long time, and yesterday I submitted a combined update letter + letter of intent (LOI) to the admissions office. Most of the letter contains updates since my secondary app, but I did mention that I would attend the school if accepted. I didn't realize that most people submit LOIs only after they are officially put on a waitlist, so now I am worried that submitting my LOI so early (less than two weeks after my interview) might be viewed unfavorably/hurt my chances...? Would appreciate any insight into this!
I didn't apply this year, but I honestly think you have nothing to worry about. The conversation typically revolves around whether they help, and the generally accepted answer is that they do nothing unless and until the school has expressed some interest by placing you on the WL. Then, if they care about yield, a LOI could make a difference.

Before you know whether or not you are R, it's pointless because telling them you love them is irrelevant if they have no interest in you. On the other hand, there is no reason to think they would be offended or hold your love against you, so I don't how it will hurt. Sure, it makes you look a little desperate so soon after the interview, but, again, if they want you they will be happy you are so into them. Also, it's only reinforcing what you said during your interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't apply this year, but I honestly think you have nothing to worry about. The conversation typically revolves around whether they help, and the generally accepted answer is that they do nothing unless and until the school has expressed some interest by placing you on the WL. Then, if they care about yield, a LOI could make a difference.

Before you know whether or not you are R, it's pointless because telling them you love them is irrelevant if they have no interest in you. On the other hand, there is no reason to think they would be offended or hold your love against you, or I don't how it will hurt. Sure, it makes you look a little desperate so soon after the interview, but, again, if they want you they will be happy you are so into them. Also, it's only reinforcing what you said during your interview.
thank you so much for the response! your analysis makes a lot of sense and definitely helps calm my nerve haha

Reactions: 1 user
1. You had other significant updates to write about.
2. You do intend to attend if offered
You did well by combining the two before they make a decision on you. Now, they have what they already had plus these two points to make a decision on you.
On the flip side, you have already sent it. Nothing you can do even if someone on this forum tells you that it will hurt. So, suggest unwatching this thread and chilling.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users