Submitted secondaries in September, when should I expect to get interviews by?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coralreef17

Reaction score
I retook the mcat in July and improved my score to 515 (old score was 507). Because of this I only submitted my application in August and then got in secondaries in September. It's now almost Thanksgiving and I still haven't gotten any interview invites yet. Should I be worried? Or is there still a chance that schools will get to my application and want to interview me? For reference I had a 3.5 cGPA at a "top ten" college and I'm white.

Members don't see this ad.

Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

Schools stratify the apps as they come in and don't send out secondaries or IIs merely in chronological order.

Secondaries are often a tax on the hopelessly naïve, if not pathologically optimistic.

It's a seller's market for med schools. SDNers should never assume that they will get IIs. I am hoping you're just naive about this process and do not have a "I'm God's gift to Medicine" mindset (which a lot of SDNers have, alas).

It's late in the cycle for MD, but still OK for DO. With a median score of 511, being a 2x MCAT taker, and a GPA that is 0.2 points < national average for acceptees, you need to have DO schools on your list

Reactions: 1 user

Schools stratify the apps as they come in and don't send out secondaries or IIs merely in chronological order.

Secondaries are often a tax on the hopelessly naïve, if not pathologically optimistic.

It's a seller's market for med schools. SDNers should never assume that they will get IIs. I am hoping you're just naive about this process and do not have a "I'm God's gift to Medicine" mindset (which a lot of SDNers have, alas).

It's late in the cycle for MD, but still OK for DO. With a median score of 511, being a 2x MCAT taker, and a GPA that is 0.2 points < national average for acceptees, you need to have DO schools on your list

I wasn't asking about secondaries, I was asking about interview invitations. I've already gotten secondaries from almost all of the schools I applied to and already submitted them. I didn't apply to any DO schools. I specifically asked about MD interviews and how late they give interview invitations.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't asking about secondaries, I was asking about interview invitations. I've already gotten secondaries from almost all of the schools I applied to and already submitted them. I didn't apply to any DO schools. I specifically asked about MD interviews and how late they give interview invitations.
You might get an interview tomorrow, you might get an interview in March , or never

Last edited:

Calm down. Lots of people are under stress this time of year. @Goro answered your question about II in the same sentence as he mentioned secondaries.

You might still get interviews if you applied to a well developed list of schools. You could be notified between today and next March. Understand that your GPA is below average and many(most ) schools will average your MCAT. AMCAS rec that schools average scores. In the meantime, keep improving your application in case you have to reapply next cycle. I know you are against DO so I guess there is no sense in encouraging you to at least research about the DO programs.

Reactions: 1 users