Submitting a committee letter and an individual letter to schools who have a limit of 3 rec letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SonhosDaVida

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I submitted a committee letter and letter packet (combined together) and an individual letter to schools who only ask for 3-4 letters max.

My committee letter/letter packet has 5 letters in it. And I included an individual letter highlighting other qualities of myself.

Have I exceeded the rec letter requirement? Does this look very bad? Can I call AAMC to cancel the individual letter to those schools?

Members don't see this ad.

So I submitted a committee letter and letter packet (combined together) and an individual letter to schools who only ask for 3-4 letters max.

My committee letter/letter packet has 5 letters in it. And I included an individual letter highlighting other qualities of myself.

1) Have I exceeded the rec letter requirement? 2) Does this look very bad? 3) Can I call AAMC to cancel the individual letter to those schools?
1) No. A Committee letter with packet counts as one letter.
2) No.
3) You can't cancel an assigned letter through AMCAS.

Reactions: 1 users
1) No. A Committee letter with packet counts as one letter.
2) No.
3) You can't cancel an assigned letter through AMCAS.
Actually, while a committee letter/packet counts as one, it replaces all others, so, sending a committee letter/packet PLUS others is exceeding the limit. Schools that ask for 3 or 5 letters aren't looking for a committee letter than contains 5 letters plus a few more, just to make sure they have enough to read. :cool:

I have not seen a single school encourage us to supplement letter packets with more letters.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why is that additional letter not part of committee letter?

I added the extra letter because my committee letter was only my academic LORs.

the extra letter was not an academic one, and focused on other traits that I wanted admissions to see. @gonnif what are your thoughts. I am Portuguese and volunteered with the Portuguese immigrant population, so this letter came from this experience. It provided another side of me that wasn't present in the academic LORs.