Submitting AMCAS Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hospitaldoctor1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I submit my AMCAS application now, even if I do not take the MCAT until August, will I start receiving Secondaries before I take the MCAT?
Also, is there anywhere I can see Work/Acivity examples?

Members don't see this ad.

If I submit my AMCAS application now, even if I do not take the MCAT until August, will I start receiving Secondaries before I take the MCAT?
Also, is there anywhere I can see Work/Acivity examples?

You may get a handful of secondaries, those that do not screen. But your application won't be looked at until September, when your MCAT score becomes available.

I don't think there are work/activity examples per se.

You can get some secondaries before the mcat scores are posted. The bigger reason to submit early is so that your application is verified before your mcats are released (it takes AMCAS about 4 weeks to verify your app.) You can also get started on secondaries before you receive them because many of the prompts are posted here in the school specific threads. Of course, if you don't get a secondary from the school, then you'll end up having wasted your time :(.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you order/list your activities/work into AMCAS?
by importance to you? chronological by date?
What's the best way?
thanks

How do you order/list your activities/work into AMCAS?
by importance to you? chronological by date?
What's the best way?
thanks
You don't get the choice of how they are ordered. AMCAS lists them chronologically.

This thread should answer any other questions you have regarding activities/work.

Good luck

sorry
can you edit your work/activities once you enter them into the amcas application?.. but before submitting
what can you edit when you submit the amcas application?
thanks

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a question about submission. If I submit it now, it'll take about a month to be processed right? Since most schools won't give out secondaries until processing, does this mean I can add a school say two weeks later and not have a delay in receiving my secondary (as opposed to adding it now)?

sorry
can you edit your work/activities once you enter them into the amcas application?.. but before submitting
what can you edit when you submit the amcas application?
thanks

You can edit anything until you have submitted.

After submission, I believe the only things you can edit are LOR, add an MCAT, and Disadvantaged (someone +1 me on this please). Also, you can add more schools, but cannot remove.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a question about submission. If I submit it now, it'll take about a month to be processed right? Since most schools won't give out secondaries until processing, does this mean I can add a school say two weeks later and not have a delay in receiving my secondary (as opposed to adding it now)?

Yes. Edit: <deleted>. Also, note that some schools will send you the secondary before verification too.

Last edited:
So if I submit my application now, it will take 4 weeks to validate, correct? So I will receive secondaries within 4 weeks...
However, I want to prepare for the August 14 MCAT. I want to focus my time on studying. So it is to my benefit to start adding the majority of the schools that I want to apply to AFTER I take the MCAT, so I can focus on the secondaries after I take the MCAT?
Or is there a better way? Suggestions?
Thanks

Sorry about the previous post - I lost track of which thread I was on. There is nothing about this earlier in the thread lol.

So if I submit my application now, it will take 4 weeks to validate, correct? So I will receive secondaries within 4 weeks...
However, I want to prepare for the August 14 MCAT. I want to focus my time on studying. So it is to my benefit to start adding the majority of the schools that I want to apply to AFTER I take the MCAT, so I can focus on the secondaries after I take the MCAT?
Or is there a better way? Suggestions?
Thanks

Yes, it will take ~4 weeks. You will probably start getting a couple secondaries around 3 weeks, depending on which schools you apply to.

Basically, you can apply to one school in the very near future. Just to initiate the verification process. Doesn't matter what school. Then, when you get your MCAT score, add all your other schools. The schools you add later will get all your information in about 2 business days, so it is not a big delay.

One last quick question, sorry...
For experience type under acitivies/work... what is "Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere" include? What types of activities?
What types of activities does "Other" fall under?
Having an e-board position of a club falls under "Extracurriculars?"
Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad :)
One last quick question, sorry...
For experience type under acitivies/work... what is "Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere" include? What types of activities?
What types of activities does "Other" fall under?
Having an e-board position of a club falls under "Extracurriculars?"
Thanks a lot

Back in the day when I submitted my work and activities, I think I put my presidency in student union as a Leadership - not listed elsewhere.

Other is anything that you cannot fit into the other 15 categories or so.

An e-board position can be leadership or extracurricular. My student union could easily have been EC. Things are often overlapped, and schools know that. You can be captain of a team - but is that Leadership or Intercollegiate Athletics? So go with what you would like, and just maintain a nice balanced, presentation.

Also, for artistic endeavors...
i play the clarinet.. i play on my own during my free time
what would i put for organization name, contact name, title, etc....

Also, for artistic endeavors...
i play the clarinet.. i play on my own during my free time
what would i put for organization name, contact name, title, etc....

No organization name.
Perhaps someone instructed you how to play? Even if it was a while ago, put their name, and put title as Clarinet Instructor. Don't think you need much beyond that.

i already submitted amcas in mid june, but i want to submit to an additional school. if I certify and resubmit the application, does this change my submission date to the other schools? is the application sent to all the schools again? or just the school i added?

i already submitted amcas in mid june, but i want to submit to an additional school. if I certify and resubmit the application, does this change my submission date to the other schools? is the application sent to all the schools again? or just the school i added?

Adding schools does not affect the schools that have already received your primary. It is almost like submitting a new application, except re-verification is not required. The schools you add will get your information within ~2 business days.

I want to group two internships that I had for the work/activity section
these two internships were both shadowing experiences... by two different types of doctors... at two different times...
one doctor was a cardiologist, the other internal medicine
how would i group these two for one slot on the work/activity?
what would i put for the date, organization, contact name, title, experience name, city, etc
thanks

I want to group two internships that I had for the work/activity section
these two internships were both shadowing experiences... by two different types of doctors... at two different times...
one doctor was a cardiologist, the other internal medicine
how would i group these two for one slot on the work/activity?
what would i put for the date, organization, contact name, title, experience name, city, etc
thanks

Just an idea: group them under Community Service - Medical. I would title it as Clinical Shadowing - 2 Experiences... or something like that. Then, pick the more extensive experience and fill in the date/organization/name/city accordingly. And in the actual description, write about that first.

thanks
that makes sense
what should i do for the starting date, end date exactly?
should the starting date be for one internship, and the ending date for the other?
but that leaves a 2 year gap in between...
thanks

thanks
that makes sense
what should i do for the starting date, end date exactly?
should the starting date be for one internship, and the ending date for the other?
but that leaves a 2 year gap in between...
thanks

No, fill it out in correspondence with the name and contact info.

Then in the paragraph itself, indicate the dates of your second experience.

I submitted my primary late June and it's yet to be verified. I noticed however, that I accidentally designated an experience type for a medical position as Volunteering- not medical/clinical. Is this a big deal? I am a little upset because I spent a long time reviewing my app and just noticed