Submitting AMCAS mid-August too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sach

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it too late to submit AMCAS application in mid-August?

Members don't see this ad.

It reduces your chance of acceptance considerably. But it's not 'too late', if your record were strong enough you would still be offered a spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to include summer grades to boost my GPA.

I want to include summer grades to boost my GPA.

yes you should try to have your summer grades included, if you think this will help your application. I think mid-august is fine then, but try to submit it right at that moment u get your summer grades. Also make sure to do well in these courses as they will show up under senior year GPA.

I told him to get it in the day the AMCAS starts taking apps. Have the transcripts and letters sent the day AMCAS starts taking those. (a couple of weeks before the online app system opens)

You can send in updates later, and AMCAS will update your profile, including your GPA.

I told him to get it in the day the AMCAS starts taking apps. Have the transcripts and letters sent the day AMCAS starts taking those. (a couple of weeks before the online app system opens)

You can send in updates later, and AMCAS will update your profile, including your GPA.

AMCAS will update my profile with my GPA? I never heard of this????

I'm not entirely sure, to be honest. I know this does happen for TMDSAS, because I did send an updated transcript and my GPA changed.

how much would the summer grades really help you? submitting mid august may mean you are verified in early/mid sept...schools will now know of you until then. and then you need to worry about secondaries as well while you are taking classes? for me, the chance of summer grades helping is not worth the chance that schools will only know that i am interested until mid sept

how much would the summer grades really help you? submitting mid august may mean you are verified in early/mid sept...schools will now know of you until then. and then you need to worry about secondaries as well while you are taking classes? for me, the chance of summer grades helping is not worth the chance that schools will only know that i am interested until mid sept
Very good point. What kind of stats are we looking at here?

Mid August is definitely late for submitting AMCAS. Do not hold the app for summer grades.

Keep in mind that it takes quite a while for AMCAS to verify your application and check all your grades. Possibly 4 to 6 weeks. If you submit early, your application will be processed faster because they will be dealing with fewer applications.

You won't be able to complete your file at any schools until AMCAS verifies your grades. While you wouldn't be obscenely late, your interviews might come pretty late in the cycle.

I am looking to improve .05 in GPA. I guess it is not worth it...

Members don't see this ad :)
No, its not. The benefits of getting your application out early far outweigh 0.05.

yep...I listen to Bacchus. I was late(r) in the process (by my own doing). I am still having alot of success in getting interviews at amazing medical schools...BUT I AM STILL INTERVIEWING this late in the process (towards the end of the interview season)....The fewer the seats the harder it is to get that coveted acceptance letter.

I already thought you were a medstudent, Riceman, haha.

ha...I was supposed to apply last year for 2012, but I had to withdraw from the app process before my AMCAS was verified...so...nope...I'm with y'all...and I still dont know where I am going

Yes, I think so. Ideally, you want your secondaries done by august and to start interviewing in September.

Take it from someone who applied "late" (August) last year and early this year (June 6, first day). Last year one interview... this year 3 interviews (and another I turned down), 2 waitlists and an acceptance.

I think it depends on your particular situation. I submitted my AMCAS in August, was complete at schools in October, received 6 interviews, and so far have 2 acceptances (still waiting to hear back from the other 4 schools).

Haha, could be worse. You could have been an EDPer that got deferred and couldn't send any apps to any school until October.... like me.

Finish as much of your secondaries as possible. If you're complete everywhere by mid/late September you're still fine. You're late in the cycle and it reduces your chances by a bit, but if your application is strong you'll get offers.

This doesn't really apply to you, but it just reminded me of someone with great stats who submitted their primary the last possible day!! I don't think things are going well for him.

Just to re-iterate. Don't wait.

But do: Send an updated transcript to AMCAS and to the schools you applied to. If you can pull a 4.0 Even better.

Getting in early this year has been a life-saver for me. And even though I was complete at 33 schools by early september at the LATEST (July/August for most) I am still interviewing too.

Get 'r dun.

obviously the earlier the better, but I think the SDN panic attack about finishing all of your secondaries by August isn't as big a freak out as we make it to be. Most of my friends finished all their secondaries by September/October and were just fine. If you can submit and be verified before July/August of course you should go for it, but if for some reason you can't it isn't the apocalypse.

So you can submit things to the AMCAS before the app even opens? where can I get more info on the timeline of events?