Submitting AMCAS now or waiting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leagall

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently graduated UG. I applied to a bunch of jobs. I received an email stating I would know by the end of the week, whether I got the job I wanted. I would like to list this job on my AMCAS application if I get the job. However, I will only know for sure whether I got the job at the end of the week. Should I submit my AMCAS now (without listing the job) or wait until the end of the week to see if I got the job, so I can list it on my app? Would it make any different submitting AMCAS later on in the week as opposed to today?

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

I recently graduated UG. I applied to a bunch of jobs. I received an email stating I would know by the end of the week, whether I got the job I wanted. I would like to list this job on my AMCAS application if I get the job. However, I will only know for sure whether I got the job at the end of the week. Should I submit my AMCAS now (without listing the job) or wait until the end of the week to see if I got the job, so I can list it on my app? Would it make any different submitting AMCAS later on in the week as opposed to today?

Thanks a lot!

Definitely wait man...One week from now is still pretty early in the game

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks a lot!

I doubt the week is going to make a difference in your success this application cycle, but I think the bigger question is whether or not you'd even have anything to say about a job that you've only had for a week or less. At that point you wouldn't be able accurately describe what your responsibilities are let alone talk about what you've gotten out of it.

A lot of med schools have a secondary question that reads something like
"If you aren't currently in college, what are you doing?"
...more eloquently phrased, of course. If you talk about your job in these questions/send update letters to schools that don't ask that question, it will be somewhere in your application.

That being said, I would wait the week to include it on the primary because a week is not that long to wait.

I'm currently waiting to hear about a job that was supposed to be starting July 1. They started accepting applications June 15 and are interviewing the first week of August. Needless to say, I'm glad I decided NOT to wait. :|

I doubt the week is going to make a difference in your success this application cycle, but I think the bigger question is whether or not you'd even have anything to say about a job that you've only had for a week or less. At that point you wouldn't be able accurately describe what your responsibilities are let alone talk about what you've gotten out of it.

This.

Yeah, getting a job is not worth mentioning on an app. It's the work you do in that job that is worth mentioning. Also, if you plan on using this as one of your 15 activities, the general consensus on here is not to put future events.

I say submit the app. You will have nothing of real value to say regarding the job now, but maybe it can make for an awesome update letter in the future.