submitting amcas/tmdsas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2008applicant

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the earliest date to submit the AMCAS and TMDSAS?

I know both will be open on about May 1.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the max amount of Letters of Rec (other than the required HPAC letter) for most Texas school? :scared:I had a friend applying a few years back whose application filed was threatened by the school admission's office. I don't want that to happen to me. Also, does anyone know about Interfolio? Is it more convenient than say my evaluators sending off the letters themselves (to the schools not TMDSAS or AMCAS)?

AMCAS is around June 1.

Starting this year AMCAS will be available in early May.

The first day to submit is the first day it is available to fill out.

What is the max amount of Letters of Rec (other than the required HPAC letter) for most Texas school? :scared:I had a friend applying a few years back whose application filed was threatened by the school admission's office. I don't want that to happen to me. Also, does anyone know about Interfolio? Is it more convenient than say my evaluators sending off the letters themselves (to the schools not TMDSAS or AMCAS)?

Letters must be sent to TMDSAS and are NEVEr sent to AMCAS.

Starting this year AMCAS will be available in early May.

The first day to submit is the first day it is available to fill out.

I called AMCAS. The application will be available around May 14th, and submission will open during the first week of June.

Alright then, I have another question for you. Considering the importance of LORs and the various weights of certain evaluators (i.e. HPAC over my History Prof), do you think I should send my "heavier" LORs...I have one from HPAC and one from my Chancellor..to TMDSAS so med schools can view them readily? :confused:

I also having several ED docs I work with writing LORs for me, those will be "snail mailed" in early June. I have something like 45+ letters going out, paying for normal postage is gonna be expensive already :eek:, should I get the certified postage for all 48 letters?

What was your experience with sending the letters directly to the med schools? I get worried that they may get lost in the mail :scared: and this time applying I want to leave little to chance.

Alright then, I have another question for you. Considering the importance of LORs and the various weights of certain evaluators (i.e. HPAC over my History Prof), do you think I should send my "heavier" LORs...I have one from HPAC and one from my Chancellor..to TMDSAS so med schools can view them readily? :confused:

I also having several ED docs I work with writing LORs for me, those will be "snail mailed" in early June. I have something like 45+ letters going out, paying for normal postage is gonna be expensive already :eek:, should I get the certified postage for all 48 letters?

What was your experience with sending the letters directly to the med schools? I get worried that they may get lost in the mail :scared: and this time applying I want to leave little to chance.

send your letters to TMDSAS and start an account at interfolio for the amcas schools. even though your HPAC will probably forward your letters, i've heard horror stories about people's stuff not getting sent out. interfolio does not have this type of track record. they are very reliable and quick, so i would get your HPAC and chancellor or whoever to send their letters there.

interfolio sends electronically to a number of schools as well.

EDIT: i'm confused. you have an HPAC, separate professors and a chancellor letter. i thought that all of this was supposed to be included in the HPAC letter?

Jolie South,

TCU's normal process only includes the HPAC letter from the Science dept. and PreHealth Advisors. The Chancellor's letter is something I acquired this last semester-apparently he doesn't usually write letter (that's why I want to send it to TMDSAS). Also, I work at the ED in the "scribe" program-(maybe you've heard of it?...) No matter, so the ED docs I work with will be writing me some LORs.

Jolie South,

TCU's normal process only includes the HPAC letter from the Science dept. and PreHealth Advisors. The Chancellor's letter is something I acquired this last semester-apparently he doesn't usually write letter (that's why I want to send it to TMDSAS). Also, I work at the ED in the "scribe" program-(maybe you've heard of it?...) No matter, so the ED docs I work with will be writing me some LORs.

ok, i understand now. i might try to make sure you don't go overboard with the LORs. quality is more important that quantity. if every one of your writers know you well and can write a very personal LOR, then ok. if they are just acquaintances or people that you have only worked with a few times, i personally would cut back a little.

also, TMDSAS will only accept and forward 3 LORs. if you want to submit more than that you will have to talk with individual schools and make sure that they will be accepted. the extra letters must be sent directly to schools.

how many do you plan on having total?

Members don't see this ad :)
how does interfolio work with TMDSAS?

they seem to want this form to be done: http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/TMDSAS%20Evaluation Form.pdf

k, needed to clarify that for my own knowledge.

sure, that's how i did it last year. it worked out fine. i don't think asking writers to send the letters to 2 places will put them out that much.

i just made sure to send the interfolio coverpage and the TMDSAS coverpage with instructions.

which cover pages are you referring to?

i don't if they're called that, but TMDSAS has an evaluation page or something that has your info on it (the one you linked to). your recommender can write a letter in lieu of using the form, but the form has to be sent in with your stuff for identification purposes.

when you enter a recommender into interfolio, they give you a sheet to e-mail/send to your recommender to include with their letter. it helps interfolio match up the letter with your account. your recommender can upload the letter via internet, fax it, or send it snail mail to interfolio.

gotcha. man, i hate reapplying. now i'm super paranoid about who i should get lors from

i can imagine, especially after the feedback that you got this year.

hopefully, it will work out. you also have more latitude with who you can include now that you're no longer in school. a work supervisor or something might be good.

the problem is that i've only had my new job for a month. i've been volunteering for ~4 months but i hardly interact with the guy who is supposed to write me a letter

when you enter a recommender into interfolio, they give you a sheet to e-mail/send to your recommender to include with their letter. it helps interfolio match up the letter with your account. your recommender can upload the letter via internet, fax it, or send it snail mail to interfolio.

Wait, so the process for Interfolio from the perspective of the letter writer is simply: write the letter, include the cover page, and send (via snail mail, fax, or uploaded doc[..that mean they need a scanner?]) to Interfolio. What about the "waive my rights to access the letter" confidentiality stuff? More importantly, what are my options on sending out letter on Interfolio? Do I pay for postage or anything like that or will TMDSAS and participating AMCAS schools simply gain access to my file?

Wait, so the process for Interfolio from the perspective of the letter writer is simply: write the letter, include the cover page, and send (via snail mail, fax, or uploaded doc[..that mean they need a scanner?]) to Interfolio. What about the "waive my rights to access the letter" confidentiality stuff? More importantly, what are my options on sending out letter on Interfolio? Do I pay for postage or anything like that or will TMDSAS and participating AMCAS schools simply gain access to my file?

when you have your interfolio account and want to add a recommender, they will ask whether or not you want to waive your right to see the letter. this info is included on the cover sheet. you are right on from the perspective of the recommender.

for TMDSAS, you writers will send the letters directly to TMDSAS so it's nice to include postage for them. you don't use interfolio for these.

for interfolio letters for AMCAS, you do have to pay $4 for electronical transmissions of your letters and i think $5 for snail mail. there are other more expensive options if you're really neurotic (i.e. overnight with tracking).

Jolie South,

Almost forgot to mention, the ER docs writing the letters (7) won't be sending all their letters to the same school. They all know me very well, I've worked with them going on 3 yrs now and, some are Alumni to specific schools in TX. I am just trying to figure the easiest to get my LORs sent off but also make the writers' life easy-I know they're always busy. In the end, I hope this Interfolio thing can work-thanks for the advice.

Jolie South,

Almost forgot to mention, the ER docs writing the letters (7) won't be sending all their letters to the same school. They all know me very well, I've worked with them going on 3 yrs now and, some are Alumni to specific schools in TX. I am just trying to figure the easiest to get my LORs sent off but also make the writers' life easy-I know they're always busy. In the end, I hope this Interfolio thing can work-thanks for the advice.

that makes things confusing. for your "extra" letters that you want submitted to texas schools but aren't sending through TMDSAS, you might want to send those to interfolio.

i would send the main required letters to TMDSAS since you can send a max of 3. the others you'll have to work out yourself.

Ok, I got my account. I think I'm good-I'll put my big boy pants on and get this all figured out-thanks Jolie South.

So TMDSAS doesn't work with interfoli.
This means that I need to provide each of my evaluators with TMDSAS evaluation forms. No biggie, one for 7 schools.

How does this work with AAMC evaluation forms and interfolio?
Most schools require that the evaluator attach a letter to their own forms. What do you all do about those?
Do you mail them separately to the professors?

Thanks

i meant for hitch to send the LORs directly to TMDSAS and interfolio (if applying to AMCAS schools). TMDSAS does not work with interfolio.

Eh? TMDSAS does work with Interfolio. All I sent them was my UT HPO packet containing 3 letters and that's all they needed. It worked just fine.

I'd ask your pre-med advisors exactly what your school prefers you to do. That'll be the easiest way to solve this problem.

Eh? TMDSAS does work with Interfolio. All I sent them was my UT HPO packet containing 3 letters and that's all they needed. It worked just fine.

I'd ask your pre-med advisors exactly what your school prefers you to do. That'll be the easiest way to solve this problem.

maybe if you have a committee letter. i used all individual ones and didn't want to risk them not know what to do with them or having them get lost. i had my recommenders send directly to TMDSAS with my coversheets.

maybe if you have a committee letter. i used all individual ones and didn't want to risk them not know what to do with them or having them get lost. i had my recommenders send directly to TMDSAS with my coversheets.

Right right. Still, if you haven't asked for your letters yet, Interfolio is the way to go. They actually give you a confirmation that they have a) received a letter from a letter writer b) sent it out to a schools c) the school received your letter. With TMDSAS, they actually tell you online if your stuff has been received or not, but some other schools don't give you that luxury.

Right right. Still, if you haven't asked for your letters yet, Interfolio is the way to go. They actually give you a confirmation that they have a) received a letter from a letter writer b) sent it out to a schools c) the school received your letter. With TMDSAS, they actually tell you online if your stuff has been received or not, but some other schools don't give you that luxury.

Oh thank god I am applying this summer with TMDSAS and I used Interfolio. As I was reading this thread my heart quit beating several times when I thought TMDSAS doesn't accept interfolio.

Thanks ^^

Okay so just to clarify, TMDSAS does work with interfolio right? One of my professors has left the country already for the summer, and I think her rec is going to be the strongest, so if it doesn't, I'm screwed.

Okay so just to clarify, TMDSAS does work with interfolio right? One of my professors has left the country already for the summer, and I think her rec is going to be the strongest, so if it doesn't, I'm screwed.

it works. i just suggested sending letters from your prof to TMDSAS to cut out the middle man since TMDSAS holds and distrubutes them for you. you should be ok.

Can someone confirm this general timeline:

1) Fill out AMCAS in May

2) In the meantime, have transcripts sent to AMCAS w/ the transcript request form from the AMCAS website

3) Submit AMCAS as early as you can (without worrying about when transcripts actually reach AMCAS)

4) Once AMCAS verifies all your transcripts, they will send you a confirmation

5) Then, you don't have to submit anything else, AMCAS is sent to schools

6) You get secondaries

7) Send LORs to schools that you are completing secondaries for

Anything I missed/anything important?

Can someone confirm this general timeline:

1) Fill out AMCAS in May

2) In the meantime, have transcripts sent to AMCAS w/ the transcript request form from the AMCAS website

3) Submit AMCAS as early as you can (without worrying about when transcripts actually reach AMCAS)

4) Once AMCAS verifies all your transcripts, they will send you a confirmation

5) Then, you don't have to submit anything else, AMCAS is sent to schools

6) You get secondaries

7) Send LORs to schools that you are completing secondaries for

Anything I missed/anything important?

8)pay secondary fees when you submit secondaries.

otherwise, sounds about right.

We really need a new Republic of Texas thread. So many of these Tx threads are scattered everywhere that some people might miss.

Is it open yet? AMCAS that is, I go to the site and it says the 2008 is only available. Am I missing something or is the AMCAS for 2009 not up yet?

Is it open yet? AMCAS that is, I go to the site and it says the 2008 is only available. Am I missing something or is the AMCAS for 2009 not up yet?

It's up.

i meant for hitch to send the LORs directly to TMDSAS and interfolio (if applying to AMCAS schools). TMDSAS does not work with interfolio.

This is wrong. You can send in your LOR's to TMDSAS through interfolio. You just have to physically type in the receiving institution and the address. I did this for last year's application and it went through just fine.

oops. Didn't mean to reiterate what had just been said. I just read the rest of the posts. sorry!

So I just sent 6 LORs to my top choice school using Interfolio...they were all strong Doc recs, am I crazy for this? Will a med school turn down an applicant for too many letters or, should I not give this matter much thought? My app was turned in 8 days after TMDSAS opened and my scores just came back so, I figured they should have the whole complete package for my application by tail end of this week. The school never posted a maximum on the amount of letters sent and I have several good letters (a few from alumni)-someone please help! This is keeping me up at night when I should be sleep but...it's my future. :scared: