Submitting an "extra" LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foremma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

One of my programs (Counseling PHD) requires 2 LOR's but allows us to submit 3. The 2 that I submitted are very good letters. My 3rd letter - I am not sure the quality of it. I worked with the person in her lab for 1.5 years, but we had very limited interaction. I am sure she wrote a strong letter, but I don't know how strong it was. Obviously, this is playing odds, but I was wondering if I should stick with the 2 LOR's and not risk a mediocre letter, or go ahead with the 3rd. I know that the letter will not be damaging as we only had good interactions, but I am wondering if risking a letter that doesn't have much to say (beyond what a typical LOR would say) is worth it just to submit an additional one? FWIW, I do meet all the requirements for the school, so this would merely be supplemental...

Members don't see this ad.

If you think the letter might be blah or mediocre and you know your primary letters are very strong, then I would probably skip submitting the extra letter.

I am a fellow applicant though, so that is definitely just one person's opinion :)