Submitting application before or after mcat released?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zdoc9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first mcat score won't be released until July 10th. Should I wait to submit my application until I receive my score, or should I get it in as soon as possible in June? (My GPAs not all that great, and I'm relying heavily on my mcat score). I also saw in the amcas manual that processing can take up to six weeks... so does this mean that schools won't receive my application until 6 weeks after I submit it to amcas?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My first mcat score won't be released until July 10th. Should I wait to submit my application until I receive my score, or should I get it in as soon as possible in June? (My GPAs not all that great, and I'm relying heavily on my mcat score). I also saw in the amcas manual that processing can take up to six weeks... so does this mean that schools won't receive my application until 6 weeks after I submit it to amcas?
Apply to one throwaway school. Wait for your score to apply to the rest.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to one throwaway school. Wait for your score to apply to the rest.

does this mean our one school we apply to early before the score comes out is one we do not really wish to attend, just in case? or can it still be one of your top choices, and applying to it first without the score will not affect it? sorry for the dumb question, just want to gauge what you mean by "throwaway school".

does this mean our one school we apply to early before the score comes out is one we do not really wish to attend, just in case? or can it still be one of your top choices, and applying to it first without the score will not affect it? sorry for the dumb question, just want to gauge what you mean by "throwaway school".
Ideally it's one you don't want to attend. Let's say you apply to your top choice and your MCAT does not fit the bill for MD. Obviously you get rejected. You have to take a year to study and reapply again. Then you are a reapplicant to your first choice school, which isn't as good as being a first time applicant to a school.

It is one that you would be happy not to go to. That way if your MCAT is way lower than you expect, you can bail on this cycle without becoming a re-applicant next year at the schools you care about.

Ideally it's one you don't want to attend. Let's say you apply to your top choice and your MCAT does not fit the bill for MD. Obviously you get rejected. You have to take a year to study and reapply again. Then you are a reapplicant to your first choice school, which isn't as good as being a first time applicant to a school.
You sure type fast!

It is one that you would be happy not to go to. That way if your MCAT is way lower than you expect, you can bail on this cycle without becoming a re-applicant next year at the schools you care about.

I would assume this whole strategy is risky for this very reason, bc you will be a reapplicant regardless if the mcat doesn't pan out. I always thought being a reapplicant next cycle is an all or nothing deal, meaning AMCAS submitted and not accepted = reapplicant anyway. I guess it does matter which school I apply to first. Thank you for the heads up!

I would assume this whole strategy is risky for this very reason, bc you will be a reapplicant regardless if the mcat doesn't pan out. I always thought being a reapplicant next cycle is an all or nothing deal, meaning AMCAS submitted and not accepted = reapplicant anyway. I guess it does matter which school I apply to first. Thank you for the heads up!
You are only required to report a re-application to schools to which you have submitted a primary.
That's a whole lot fewer explanations if you can avoid it.
Some schools still ask if you have ever applied anywhere but this is uncommon.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are only required to report a re-application to schools to which you have submitted a primary.
That's a whole lot fewer explanations if you can avoid it.
Some schools still ask if you have ever applied anywhere but this is uncommon.

that is fantastic information to know, just in case. your input has been invaluable, as usual! Thank you!

Why is it bad to be a re-applicant?