Submitting CS results in October (2016 Match)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biggee003

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It might be too early to be worrying about this, but it is almost confirmed I will not be able to take by CS exam by July-11th, 2015 to get my results before September-15th. Earliest the scores will be available is Oct-7th. Any insight as to if it's advised to submit applications on the Sep-15th or wait until the scores are available?

Thanks !!!

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely submit your application on Sept 15th! Then you'll send your score report when you get your cs grade. It is crucial to submit your app on time.

Absolutely submit your application on Sept 15th! Then you'll send your score report when you get your cs grade. It is crucial to submit your app on time.

Thanks for the reply. If the program prefers to see your CS results will they have wait for my scores to be submitted before they review the application? Or will they reject my application based on the fact I don't have my CS results.

Thanks for the reply. If the program prefers to see your CS results will they have wait for my scores to be submitted before they review the application? Or will they reject my application based on the fact I don't have my CS results.
They simply won't see your application until your CS is available. They won't reject you.

Reactions: 1 user
It might be too early to be worrying about this, but it is almost confirmed I will not be able to take by CS exam by July-11th, 2015 to get my results before September-15th. Earliest the scores will be available is Oct-7th. Any insight as to if it's advised to submit applications on the Sep-15th or wait until the scores are available?

Thanks !!!
If you're an AMG, this is such a non-issue. So long as your scores are in by Dec (ranking for most and even just prior to residency for some). Either way, as others have suggested, submit your application on time.

I applied with only Step 1. CK and CS came in after I'd already wrapped up interview season. You'll be fine.

Thank you for the replies everyone.

I forgot to mention in my initial post, I'm an American IMG, i.e. a Caribbean MS-IV.

Sounds good, after reading various posts from the past, I couldn't get a clear answer. It is somewhat promising to know that the programs won't simply reject you, and will review the application once it's complete.

Thank you for the replies everyone.

I forgot to mention in my initial post, I'm an American IMG, i.e. a Caribbean MS-IV.

Sounds good, after reading various posts from the past, I couldn't get a clear answer. It is somewhat promising to know that the programs won't simply reject you, and will review the application once it's complete.
This is because there isn't one. The difference between submitting 9/15 with everything other than a CS pass and submitting 10/15 with everything is probably minimal in the grand scheme of things. But as has been noted, programs that screen you out based on being an IMG and not having CS just won't see your app prior to CS being available, but programs that don't screen based on that criteria will only see your app if you submit it.

So don't try to game the system, you can't know which programs are in which camp. Get your app done on time and submit early. Take CS as soon as you can (and are ready, because the only thing worse than a missing CS result is a CS failure). See what happens.

It's a lot of work to actively reject applicants based on not having a CS score available, requiring manual review of each app for IMG/AMG/DO status and availability of a CS score (or at least, it used to be, perhaps aPD could fill us in on how the new web-based system handles this differently). So most programs will just implement the automated screens.

@gutonc.. Fair enough. Thank you for the insight.

It is not possible to determine which programs follow what sort of screening process. Based on what I have gather thus far, it appears that submitting the applications on time is more important than submitting it almost a month in to the application process.

Will wait and see if a PD can shed some light on this issues. I'm sure as we get close to the application, more and more students will see themselves in a similar situation.

As mentioned above, you might as well submit on 9/15 and update when your CS is available. There are three types of programs:

Programs that want CS in September -- you will get rejected no matter what you do.
Programs that review applications as CS becomes available -- you will have the same result whether you apply on 9/15 or 10/15.
Programs that don't care about CS for interviews -- you will have a better chance with 9/15 submission.

Programs that want CS won't reject your application if it's missing -- they will simply screen it out.

Thanks !!!

My CS results came out around that time in October. I had submitted more or less all my apps before then, and had two or three invites in the few days before I got my CS score report back (Step 1 and Step 2 CK scores were already in by that time). Just don't forget to re-submit your USMLE transcript on ERAS when you get a new score report since the updated info is automatically sent on to programs to which you applied

My CS results came out around that time in October. I had submitted more or less all my apps before then, and had two or three invites in the few days before I got my CS score report back (Step 1 and Step 2 CK scores were already in by that time). Just don't forget to re-submit your USMLE transcript on ERAS when you get a new score report since the updated info is automatically sent on to programs to which you applied

Thanks for the update. I hope to find a spot for CS before the deadline to get my results in time.

Thanks !!!
I have something similar to my friend here. Im US IMG student. The different of my case is that im already registered for my ERAS and I was waiting only for my CS score. I passed my step 1 and step 2 CK in the first attempt and my results of the CS came back this past Wednesday but fail ICE subcomponent. So my question is this do I wait until I have my CS results , earliest score will be on OCT 7, or just sent my application on sept 15 to the programs that will include the USMLE transcript including the fail of CS, and then when I Have my CS score resended again to the programs?? I need help I don't no what to do.

I have something similar to my friend here. Im US IMG student. The different of my case is that im already registered for my ERAS and I was waiting only for my CS score. I passed my step 1 and step 2 CK in the first attempt and my results of the CS came back this past Wednesday but fail ICE subcomponent. So my question is this do I wait until I have my CS results , earliest score will be on OCT 7, or just sent my application on sept 15 to the programs that will include the USMLE transcript including the fail of CS, and then when I Have my CS score resended again to the programs?? I need help I don't no what to do.
I know this is super late and you're probably a resident now, but what did you end up doing? I'm in the same situation now

It is so competitive that you will be screened out without a complete application, especially CS. As @aProgDirector would say, you have nothing to lose by applying without your CS and update results later, beside money and pride. Best of Good luck.