General Admissions & OTCAS Submitting hours after submitting OTCAS to admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calling4color

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I understand that observation hours cannot be updated after the OTCAS has been submitted. I am wondering if anyone has ever continued doing observation hours, and sent them in an email to admissions to let them know you have accumulated more hours. I am kind of on the low side of hours, and I would like to get more but I am submitting my applications in a few weeks. I will have 51 hours in an upper extremity rehab facility in which i saw hand therapy and shoulder, wrist, etc. I also have 5 hours in a school for special needs with extreme behavior disorders. I am not sure if my low amount of hours looks bad on my part, so I am hoping I can do more and add to my application by emailing them with more completed and verified hours.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You have plenty of hours in the one setting. If you have time to do more hours at a different setting, you might want to try another day or two of shadowing. Can you try to squeeze in a few more before you submit your application in a few weeks? I think, generally, that accumulating ~~all the hours!!~~ isn't so much the goal as being able to actually see OT in action with your own eyes, so you know what you're getting yourself into. And since OT works in so many settings, seeing a couple more settings (if only for a few hours) might be beneficial in demonstrating that you've done your research on the profession.

If it's not possible to shadow any more before you submit, I would 100% forward any extra hours to the schools you're applying to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I understand that observation hours cannot be updated after the OTCAS has been submitted. I am wondering if anyone has ever continued doing observation hours, and sent them in an email to admissions to let them know you have accumulated more hours. I am kind of on the low side of hours, and I would like to get more but I am submitting my applications in a few weeks. I will have 51 hours in an upper extremity rehab facility in which i saw hand therapy and shoulder, wrist, etc. I also have 5 hours in a school for special needs with extreme behavior disorders. I am not sure if my low amount of hours looks bad on my part, so I am hoping I can do more and add to my application by emailing them with more completed and verified hours.

Thanks
Not sure where you're applying to but I know UTHSCSA prefers variety to quantity. So if you're doing another setting then go for it but if you're just adding hours to the same area I wouldn't worry about it too much. But that's just my opinion...

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

Thanks

What section did you list hand and upper extremity specialization under as an obs. experience on OTCAS? Would it just be under rehabilitation? I've observed in this setting as well but I'm not sure how to document it on OTCAS.

I just put rehab and then for patient diagnoses i clicked other!