hoosier17

5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I was wondering if submitting the primary application on June 1st will make a difference or have any benefits if my MCAT test dest is later in June, July, etc. and won't be received until later in the month or August?

Thanks for your help!

Frazier

Emergentologist
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2009
US
I was wondering if submitting the primary application on June 1st will make a difference or have any benefits if my MCAT test dest is later in June, July, etc. and won't be received until later in the month or August?

Thanks for your help!
june 1st compared to june 2nd, 3rd, etc? No, no benefit.

june 1st compared to july 1st? Yes, benefit.

You will be verified and ready to go once your scores come in.

alerk323

5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2011
Status
Medical Student

Thanks for your help!
June 5th first day to submit this year

Oct 13, 2009
Status
Medical Student
It'll be verified more quickly if you submit on the 1st day (~1 day turn around). If you submit in late June to July, it can take up to ~1 month to be verified.

That being said, schools won't process your application until your MCAT scores come in.

God Complex
10+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2008
The Slab
Status
Medical Student
Try to get it in early, but keep in mind that apps go out around june 25th (at least last season). Start wisely pre-writing your secondaries now (they do not change year to year often), because the true race is to complete status. Especially since 60% of people or so get their apps out in June. You'll want to get your completed application towards to beginning of the queue when they are more generous giving out interviews.

FalconSlice

Intersection of CutCo, EdgeCom and InterSlice
7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2012
Status
MD/PhD Student
Try to get it in early, but keep in mind that apps go out around june 25th (at least last season). Start wisely pre-writing your secondaries now (they do not change year to year often), because the true race is to complete status. Especially since 60% of people or so get their apps out in June. You'll want to get your completed application towards to beginning of the queue when they are more generous giving out interviews.
AMCAS goes out June 29th this year as the earliest

Jul 4, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Just an FYI; I believe AMCAS does not need a MCAT score or your letter of recommendation packet in order to begin processing your primary- they only need your official transcript.

Feb 23, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
That being said, schools won't process your application until your MCAT scores come in.
For some schools, they will send you the link to complete their secondary once your priamry is verified&transmitted (even before your MCAT score comes). So at least then you can start entering your secondaries during the month that you wait for the MCAT score, to have your application fully complete as soon as the schools get your score.

The timeline I'm envisioning in would be:
- Submit primary June 5th (with transcripts already sent)
-- Application is verified within the week
- Study for the MCAT & and finish pre-writing any secondaries
- Primary is transmitted to schools (without MCAT score) late June
- Start receiving emails to complete secondaries
- Take MCAT early July
- Take a break
- Submit secondaries to school
- MCAT score comes in early August (add additional schools to primary if necessary)
- Complete at all schools where secondaries were previously sent

Being totally complete early August seems pretty good.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Just an FYI; I believe AMCAS does not need a MCAT score or your letter of recommendation packet in order to begin processing your primary- they only need your official transcript.
they may be able to begin processing, but itll definitely not be "complete" until the mcat comes in. I think this is what you were saying but just wanted to make sure

theseeker4

PGY 3
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2011
Suburban Detroit, MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
they may be able to begin processing, but itll definitely not be "complete" until the mcat comes in. I think this is what you were saying but just wanted to make sure
True, but once the scores do come in, the app will be complete and sent out. If the transcripts arrive at the same time as the scores, OP is looking at several weeks before the app is complete.