Submitting Primary without an MCAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

am9451

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!
I've read a few threads that recommend people sending in their AMCAS asap even if they're waiting on a MCAT score (I just took it yesterday).

Is this really advantageous? I was told that schools wouldn't look at AMCAS until they have your MCAT. I held off on polishing my PS until after MCAT so that I could study, anticipating that I'd have the whole month afterwards to really make it perfect.

Would it be wiser to finish up the PS in the next week or so and submit even though I don't have my score? I'm reasonably certain I did well enough, but I didn't think it would make a difference if schools wouldn't look until later anyway.

Do people send it in early even without an MCAT score just to get everything else verified? I'm a bit confused about how the process works.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!
I've read a few threads that recommend people sending in their AMCAS asap even if they're waiting on a MCAT score (I just took it yesterday).

Is this really advantageous? I was told that schools wouldn't look at AMCAS until they have your MCAT. I held off on polishing my PS until after MCAT so that I could study, anticipating that I'd have the whole month afterwards to really make it perfect.

Would it be wiser to finish up the PS in the next week or so and submit even though I don't have my score? I'm reasonably certain I did well enough, but I didn't think it would make a difference if schools wouldn't look until later anyway.

Do people send it in early even without an MCAT score just to get everything else verified? I'm a bit confused about how the process works.
Thanks!

If you were running toward the late side (August and beyond), it might be advantageous to have everything in to AMCAS earlier, so that stuff would be verified and get to the schools and be complete a few days earlier. The goal is to preserve your spot in the queue even if schools don't take much real action until the scores are in. In a rolling admission process, the more seats are being given out the longer you wait, so your odds of getting an ever decreasing number of seats is getting worse.

However since you took the test in june you will have your scores in a month and can apply then -- that's not particularly late and I would personally probably wait. That way if the scores are lousy you can hold off applying and if they are great you can customize the school choices a bit more.