Submitting secondaries in November late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this thread has been posted many times before but I'm getting a bit paranoid here. :(

I got secondary invites from these schools: ATSU, PCOM, KYCOM, Nova, MU-COM, LMU-DCOM, and CUSOM. Unfortunately I can't complete those secondaries until mid-November since I'm still waiting on my MD letter of recommendation.

My question is if its too late to send in secondaries around that time? My stats are 26 mcat (12P, 6V, 8B), cGPA/sGPA: 3.96/4.0 with average EC.

Much appreciated for any advice :(

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a DO letter? If so I would send in secondaries ASAP and then just update the schools once your MD letter gets in.

Your mcat is decent but it is unbalanced which may raise some eyebrows. GPA is Great! If you submitted in June or July I would say you have a pretty good shot getting in somewhere but in your case you won't get your stuff in until mid November it's a crap shoot. I would think you would land at least 2-3 interviews and then the rest is up to you.

I think timing is everything with this whole crazy process, so do everything and anything you can to get those secondaries in sooner than later.

Do you have a DO letter?

Unfortunately I don't. I tried contacting many DO doctors in my area for a shadowing opportunity but received no love from them :(

Your mcat is decent but it is unbalanced which may raise some eyebrows.

English is not my first language so of course I failed the verbal section horribly. In fact, I've only been here to the US for 5 years.

I'll try submitting all those secondaries ASAP but there is nothing much I can do regarding the physician letter. I asked my MD for that letter 2 months in advance but apparently he's too busy to pay attention :(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Problem with the MCAT is that the OP scored low in the two sections that actually matter for medical school IMO. The only section that OP did well in is physical sciences, one of the least useful topics in medical school.

However, that being said, some schools won't care.

I would still complete the secondaries as quickly as I can, and then don't worry about the MD letter. Some schools don't require it.

OP, are you an international applicant? Do you have a green card or US citizenship?

With your stats you will be fine even being complete in November.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I would still complete the secondaries as quickly as I can, and then don't worry about the MD letter. Some schools don't require it.

6 of those schools require a physician letter (either DO or MD) in order to complete the application. In other words, without the letter I'm screwed...

Do you have a green card or US citizenship?

I've recently acquired my US citizenship. So that's one less thing to worry about.

With your stats you will be fine even being complete in November.

Thanks Island. That's really reassuring.