Submitting transcrip -- Double major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angel Wings

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't find a previous post concerning this, but I apologize in advance if this questions is somewhat "n00bish".

I am currently considering double-majoring, but I haven't completely decided yet. Right now I am declared double-major so it will appear on my transcript. However, if I decide to drop the second major by the end of this summer, is it acceptable/possible to just e-mail the school about this change and if so does it look bad if I just drop a major just before senior year?

Thanks!

EDIT: Unrelated to the above question, but I was wondering if someone could clarify how the study abroad credit works out. I studied abroad at Waseda University through a program at Portland State University (but Portland State University is not the college I'm attending). The credit does appear on my University of Iowa transcript (but it doesn't say it is an official study abroad program, I think, because I didn't want to pay the extra $$ for that), but do I still need to get a transcript from Portland State? And don't check the "Study Abroad program through this U.S. college, not affiliated with a foreign school." box, right (since I technically studied at Waseda)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
AMCAS wants to see you list all the courses you have taken and include a grade with it. If those study abroad credits are in your U of Iowa transcript, I would imagine that's all you need.

As for the double major issue, the simplest thing is to decide whether you want to double major before submitting the AMCAS. E-mailing schools individually if you change your mind is tedious, and all in all, very annoying. If you want to play it safe, list one major in your AMCAS. From what many others have said, double majors don't really help as many would believe in getting admitted - majoring in something you genuinely have a passion for is what is more important.

I didn't find a previous post concerning this, but I apologize in advance if this questions is somewhat "n00bish".

I am currently considering double-majoring, but I haven't completely decided yet. Right now I am declared double-major so it will appear on my transcript. However, if I decide to drop the second major by the end of this summer, is it acceptable/possible to just e-mail the school about this change and if so does it look bad if I just drop a major just before senior year?

Thanks!

EDIT: Unrelated to the above question, but I was wondering if someone could clarify how the study abroad credit works out. I studied abroad at Waseda University through a program at Portland State University (but Portland State University is not the college I'm attending). The credit does appear on my University of Iowa transcript (but it doesn't say it is an official study abroad program, I think, because I didn't want to pay the extra $$ for that), but do I still need to get a transcript from Portland State? And don't check the "Study Abroad program through this U.S. college, not affiliated with a foreign school." box, right (since I technically studied at Waseda)?

How can you major in something over a period of a year anyways?

Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS wants to see you list all the courses you have taken and include a grade with it. If those study abroad credits are in your U of Iowa transcript, I would imagine that's all you need.

As for the double major issue, the simplest thing is to decide whether you want to double major before submitting the AMCAS. E-mailing schools individually if you change your mind is tedious, and all in all, very annoying. If you want to play it safe, list one major in your AMCAS. From what many others have said, double majors don't really help as many would believe in getting admitted - majoring in something you genuinely have a passion for is what is more important.

Well, they are not officially study abroad credits because I didn't want to pay the fees for that. It appears on my transcript more like my the college classes I took in high school (thus, my confusion...). Basically, it doesn't say I studied abroad at Waseda University; the credits come from Portland University and PSU was the university I needed a transcript from to get credit at my university.

As for the majors issue, I don't really care about having a double major on my transcript. It's more like, I've kind of lost interest in my primary major and may end up just doing my secondary major. But thank you for the advice:thumbup:; it is probably best to just make up my mind right now instead of dealing with the hassle later.

chessknt87 said:

I originally intended it as a minor, so I have most of the credits for it already.

I just sent you a PM...as to your first question, don't sweat the dropping a major business - med schools will not care.

It's possible, especially in your final year. Once you have all the exit requirements (gen ed. requirements) and the prereqs in your first three years, then all you need is the upper-level courses and electives. You just have to play it smart.

I just sent you a PM...as to your first question, don't sweat the dropping a major business - med schools will not care.

Thanks so much for the PM and the encouragement :)!

It's possible, especially in your final year. Once you have all the exit requirements (gen ed. requirements) and the prereqs in your first three years, then all you need is the upper-level courses and electives. You just have to play it smart.

Most majors at my school arent possible to complete in that time frame unless you have taken all the schools specific prereqs and there are no UD series classes. Requires more prep then playing smart, which it sounds like the OP has prepped for this.