Submitting transcript without spring grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sandman45

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I've been searching for quite some time, but can't seem to find a definitive answer. I'm a senior in a quarter system and am looking to apply this upcoming cycle. I want to apply as early as possible, but my Spring grades do not come out until late June.

Would it be worse to submit my apps in late June with Spring grades, or early June without Spring grades? And if I submitted early, do schools often ask for updated transcripts?

Thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like it's a matter of personal preference.

From AMCAS:

Should I wait to send my transcript(s) until my Spring quarter or Summer session grades are available?
If you want grades from your last quarter or session to be calculated into your AMCAS GPAs, they must be:

entered correctly in the Course Work section of your application, and

reflected on your official transcript.

So, if those grades are not available when your transcript is received by AMCAS, they will not be included in your AMCAS GPAs. In this situation, your AMCAS GPAs will NOT be recalculated even if your registrar sends an updated transcript.

If your grades from spring are going to be on par with the rest of your grades, it shouldn't really make a difference.

If you submit without the grades, then you need to send updates to each school where you applied. That could get expensive depending on how much your school charges and how many schools.

I personally waited. Everything else was ready to go. I submitted earlier, but my file was not verified until all transcripts were in. I was put in a holding pattern in the system. But once the last transcript was there, I was bumped to the top of the queue for verification.

Good luck.

dsoz

Members don't see this ad :)
If you submit without the grades, then you need to send updates to each school where you applied. That could get expensive depending on how much your school charges and how many schools.

I personally waited. Everything else was ready to go. I submitted earlier, but my file was not verified until all transcripts were in. I was put in a holding pattern in the system. But once the last transcript was there, I was bumped to the top of the queue for verification.

Good luck.

dsoz

+1 I am also on the quarter system and I chose to wait until my grades were out. Personally, I really wanted those classes to be on my application, but if you feel like you have a solid transcript already then you could send it in without the grades. Up to you really. I will say that I don't feel like adcoms care as much about grade updates as they do your initial grades/ GPA, since that is their "first impression" but I could be totally wrong about that too :D

wait...hold on. i too am planning on submitting my transcript before my spring grades come up. i am sitting on a 3.53 right now with a 33(10vr11bs12ps) and im pretty sure it wont get any better than that. i was planning on sending them my transcript before the offchance spring really wrecks my gpa. do i actually have to update my transcript? i kinda just want to lowball this quarter

@phama - From what it sounds like, I think you only have to update certain schools you apply to, not AMCAS, if they ask you for an update. I believe this is often asked for in secondaries or interviews, but I'm not sure how common this is. Anyone else know?

I'm in the same position. So is it necessary to send updates to schools once Spring grades are out? Or can we just have the ADCOMs base their decisions on what we initially send out and then send a transcript update to the school we (hopefully) plan to attend?

I'm in the same position. So is it necessary to send updates to schools once Spring grades are out? Or can we just have the ADCOMs base their decisions on what we initially send out and then send a transcript update to the school we (hopefully) plan to attend?

Does anyone know what the answer is? If I submit without spring grades, do I have to send an updated transcript to every single school I apply to or ultimately the school I get accepted to? Or is it optional to send updated transcript? Also, would I enter in my spring grades and check off the box at the bottom that says "Current/Future"?