Subpoena from attorney, but not your patient

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yaiba48

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I’m currently a PGY-3 FM.

Has anyone ever received a subpoena requesting medical record from an attorney and knows how to response to it? Especially if it’s not even your patient?
I received one and looks like I have never seen this patient before. No record of the patient in the clinic or at any hospitals that I rotated through.
I contacted the attorney office and Let them know this is not my patient.
Anything else I need to do?
Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Hand the letter to the admin person in your office to forward the request to your hospital records department.

Calling the attorney office was above and beyond. In the future when you get records like that, drop them with the admin/records/office manager to verify record release is on point and deal accordingly.

Reactions: 4 users
Hand the letter to the admin person in your office to forward the request to your hospital records department.

Calling the attorney office was above and beyond. In the future when you get records like that, drop them with the admin/records/office manager to verify record release is on point and deal accordingly.
Appreciate your answer. My first time receiving this and the patient was not even mine so unsure how to response.

Members don't see this ad :)
Appreciate your answer. My first time receiving this and the patient was not even mine so unsure how to response.
That’s the office manager’s job to figure out with your attending

Thanks. I let me PD know it looks like I’m just gonna day I’ve never treated this patient before. Thanks for all the responses!

Thanks. I let me PD know it looks like I’m just gonna day I’ve never treated this patient before. Thanks for all the responses!
You shouldn’t “say” anything to a lawyer without hospital legal

Reactions: 1 users