Substance Abuse Among Physicians/Med Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you feel about substance abuse such as alcohol and drug addictions as a physician and/or med student? What type of intervention should be taken in this type of situation? I experienced this type of behavior working with a physician last week. It was very uncomfortable and I am not sure how to deal with the issue.

Members don't see this ad.

what was the substance?

The substance was pain killers

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course, it depends on whether the physician had a legitimate reason for using the painkillers. If you feel it was inappropriate, however, it probably is worth reporting.

There are organizations specifically geared toward this type of problem. I don't know what state you are from, but in New York State you can report--anonymously--to the Committee for Physician's Health. This is an organization geared towards helping physicians with substance abuse. You, the reporter, are anonymous, and the organization does NOT report the physician to the Office of Professional Medical Conduct unless they are considered to be an imminent danger to the public, noncompliant, or treatment doesn't alleviate their impairment. That is, they give the physician a chance to turn their life around prior to instituting license suspension or other drastic measures.

It is important that you do something about this if you feel the physician is acting improperly. I don't know your state rules, but in New York state I think you can actually be held responsible if you know someone is guilty of professional misconduct (which substance abuse on the job most certainly is). I know that you are on the low rung of the totem pole (aren't we all?), but this can be taken care of anonymously.

Good luck.

Physicians may have substance abuse,but dont care!Its their personal matter.Care only when it affects his/her performance with patients.

How can you say it is their personal matter? Don't you think as a collegue (If I were a physician) you should help someone from destroying themselves and their family. It is not ALL about patient care.

suzy

chill out. i agree with the above posts that if the physician's performance isn't impaired, you should no more tackle his subtance abuse problems as you would someone at a bar, on the street, etc. you're being very vague on what the physician's "abuse" was. if he's popping a ton of percocet before he goes into surgery, well, then by all means, something has to be done. but before you go on all self-righteous about "his family, dah dah dah" think about how your lack of a desire to mind your own business could take away this man's livelihood. i'm sure his "family" wouldn't appreciate that. i suggest you talk to him personally if you care that much. if you're too afraid to confront him face to face, then i'd say your conviction doesn't match your profound sense of self-righteousness.

You had better be REALLY FREEKIN CERTAIN there is abuse of a narcotic before you "blow the whistle" on somebody...especially an attending physician! Remember, if you aren't a close friend or relative, it is likely you don't even know a 1/4th of the story. And you may be WAY off on your assumptions.

A-men!!!!!!!!

Mmmm... percocet! I was given percocet after surgery and loved it. I can see how someone can easily become addicted to it.

My father: "SwampMan, you should stop taking those pills if you are no longer in pain!"

SwampMan: "No, dad. These are like antibiotics...you have to use them all!" :D

About the initial subject: How do you know he's abusing pain killers?

Do many med students/ residents use presciptive stimulents to stay awake? Has anyone come into contact with any doctors that do this? If so, do you think it would affect their performance negatively?

One of my psych teachers told us that her dad was an alcoholic cardiac surgeon. He's doing pathology now instead so he isn't working on live people anymore. Those were her exact words.

(btw, she said he began drinking because he wanted to be an engineer, but his parents made him become a dr and he was never happy.)

The website to go to report impaired physicians differs from state to state, but here is a page with links to the state boards/licensing organizations:
<a href="http://www.docboard.org" target="_blank">http://www.docboard.org</a>
I don't know what most states websites have, but I know that some have "physician complaint" forms that you can fill out, and others have numbers to call or addresses to write to. Most states have rehab programs for doctors to get involved with. If the doctor truly is impaired, you would not only be helping his/her patients, but you would also be helping the physician as well because you could be saving his/her life. I think that you should report it, if it turns out to be legitimate, they shouldn't have a problem defending themselves and taking it off their record. They don't just go out and arrest the physician based on one complaint, they will launch an investigation if the complaint seems valid and the truth will come out then. Oftentimes, states will have programs that will allow physicians to regain their licences after they have become rehabilitated. What was the physician's specialty by the way? We learned that the two most prevalent substance abusers are anesthesiologists and psychiatrists. Physicians actually abuse substances at a rate substantially higher then other professionals.

If the substance abuse disturbs the family,it will be controlled by the members itself,as a collegue u need not care about that

•••quote:•••Originally posted by AbdulLatheef:
•If the substance abuse disturbs the family,it will be controlled by the members itself,as a collegue u need not care about that•••••Alright, I didn't want to say anything before, but I suspect that the people here speaking out against suzy doing anything about this physician are either not actually not in the medical profession, or they have no business being in the medical profession. What kind of advice is that? Family members have no control over an addict. As a physician, it is your duty to at least try to intervene, whether it be towards your patient or your colleague. Physician drug addicts do harm themselves, there have been a number of high profile cases involving drug overdoses involving physicians. Just because someone is a physician, doesn't mean that he or she is any better at managing their problem then someone off the street. Physician addicts can harm their patients. If you would intervene and try and stop someone from driving drunk, I would hope that you would also intervene someone from performing surgeries or even seeing patients drunk because the same bad outcome can easily occur, people can get killed. It's much more difficult when you are just a medical student, but you don't have to confront anybody like that other poster said. Mentioning that you observed something to another attending, perhaps an administrator or the dean of student affairs (a very useful, and protective person for students at my school) or contacting the board anonymously works just as well. And it's just like I said before, if you think that you saw something that looks suspicious, and it's suspicious enough for you to post something in the forum about it, you might as well talk to someone that can do something about it. If he really wasn't abusing any substances, the truth will come out. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty in this country. I hope that you are still checking this forum for responses to your posts despite what some other people in this forum have posted here, remember that anybody can post here and the people that posted that other hostile stuff here are probably high school students or pre-meds. I would have posted earlier but I incorrectly assumed that you were going to get better professional advice from other members of this forum.

Here is the AMA report from 1991 on this topic

<a href="http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/upload/mm/369/report_39.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/upload/mm/369/report_39.pdf</a>

More state specific info for you (I see that you are in TX)

<a href="http://www.texmed.org/cme/phn/aap/impaired.asp" target="_blank">http://www.texmed.org/cme/phn/aap/impaired.asp</a>
<a href="http://www.texmed.org/cme/phn/ifp/introduction.asp" target="_blank">http://www.texmed.org/cme/phn/ifp/introduction.asp</a>

The AMA recommendations are summarized below.
I hope this helps you in what must be a very difficult situation. Take heart in knowing that you are not the first to face this, nor will you be the last.

A version of this Report was published as "Reporting Impaired, Incompetent or Unethical Colleagues" (J Miss St Med Assoc. 1992 May; 33(5):
176-7 ? 1992, All rights Reserved.
Summary-Guidelines for Fulfilling Reporting Obligations
The Council on Ethical and Judicial Affairs has developed a series of guidelines to assist physicians in
fulfilling their ethical obligation to report the potentially injurious conduct of colleagues.
Physicians have an ethical obligation to report impaired, incompetent, and unethical colleagues.
Physicians should be familiar with the reporting requirements of their own state and comply accordingly.
1. Impairment
a. Impairment should be reported to the hospital's in-house impairment program, if available. If no
in-house program is available, or if the type of impairment is not normally addressed by an
impairment program, e.g., extreme fatigue and emotional distress, then the chief of an appropriate
clinical service, the chief of staff of the hospital, or other appropriate supervisor ( e.g., the chief
resident) should be alerted.
b. If a report cannot be made through the usual hospital channels, then a report should be made to an
external impaired physician program. Such programs typically would be operated by the local
medical societies or state licensing boards.
c. Physicians in office-based practices who do not have clinical privileges at an area hospital should
be reported directly to an impaired physician program.
d. If reporting to an individual or program which would facilitate the entrance of the impaired
physician into an impaired physician program can- not be accomplished, then the impaired
physician should be reported directly to the state licensing board.
2. Incompetence
a. Initial reports of incompetence should be made to the appropriate clinical authority who would be
empowered to assess the potential impact on patient welfare and to facilitate remedial action, e.g.,
the chief resident, the chief of an appropriate clinical service, the chief of the hospital staff, or the
medical director of a group medical practice.
b. The individual who receives a report of incompetence should, in turn, notify the hospital peer
review body where appropriate. Physicians who receive reports of incompetence have an ethical
duty to critically and objectively evaluate the reported information and to assure that identified
deficiencies are either remedied or further reported to the state licensing board.
c. Instances of incompetence by physicians who have no hospital affiliation should be reported to
the local or state medical society.
d. Continued behavior that is potentially injurious to patients must further be reported to the state
licensing board.
e. If the incompetence is of a sufficiently serious nature as to pose an immediate threat to the health
of the physician's patients, then it should be reported directly to the state licensing board.
1. Unethical conduct. Unethical behavior (which does not fit into the category of either
incompetence or impairment) should be reported in accordance with these guidelines:
a. Unethical conduct which threatens patient care or welfare should be reported to the appropriate
authority for a particular clinical service, i.e., the chief resident, the chief of an appropriate
clinical service, or the chief of the hospital staff.
b. Unethical behavior which violates the provisions of the state licensing board should be reported
to the state licensing board.
c. Unethical conduct which violates criminal statutes should be reported to the appropriate law
enforcement authorities.
d. Examples of unethical conduct which do not fall into the above three categories, or unethical
conduct which has not been addressed through other channels should be reported to the local or
state medical society.
4. Where the impairment, incompetence, or unethical behavior of a physician continues despite the
initial report(s), the reporting physician should report to a higher or additional authority. In order
to aid physicians who report inappropriate behavior of colleagues in carrying out this obligation,
the person or body receiving the initial report should notify the reporting physician when
appropriate action has been taken.
5. Physicians should work to assure that state laws provide immunity to those who report impaired,
incompetent, or unethical colleagues.
6. In certain circumstances, an anonymous report may be the only practical method of alerting an
authoritative body to a colleague's misconduct. Anonymous reports of misconduct should receive
appropriate review and confidential investigation by authorities.
7. Principles of due process must be observed in the conduct of all disciplinary matters involving
physician participants at all levels. However, the confidentiality of the reporting physician should
be maintained to the greatest extent possible within the constraints of due process, in order to
minimize potential professional recriminations.
8. The medical profession as a whole must correct the misperception that physicians are not
adequately protecting the public from incompetent, impaired, or unethical physicians by better
communicating its efforts and initiatives at maintaining high ethical standards and quality
assurance.

Ckent,

You will notice that abdul is only 19 years old and he is a medical student in India and he also believe women are inferior to men. So you know, just ignore the little brat!

Suzy's question is a very sticky wicket indeed. But I see that CKent covered the topic amply. It brings to mind a very famous NY case back in the late 1970s about twin OBGYN physicians who were known substance abusers, operating under the influence (even shaking during the procedure!), and no one reported them. They both died of drug overdoses and then and only then did the news hit the papers. I was looking on the web for the original articles but it's far too dated. I remember it because they were twin MDs, which in itself is an oddity.

Even reporting it anonymously as others have suggested, I'd want to be more certain about the details of this physician's abuse, as other posters have already noted.

It definitely is something to think about.

Nu

PS I hadn't seen Surg's input on Page 2 of this thread when I originally let this fly. I think the AMA's guidelines should be very instrumental in helping Suzy out of this dilemma.