Succeeding in Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neonam11

Hey, Baby!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was just wondering what some of your strategies are for becoming a successful, well respected pharmacist specializing in your field of expertise. I have a vague idea of what I want: since I have a pretty good feeling that being a pediatric pharmacist is what will make me happiest and feel most fulfilled, I will do a residency (hopefully at UCSF) in pediatrics once I graduate with my PharmD, work in a children's hospital as a clinical pharmacist, as well as teach at a local univeristy, and, hopefully, become a director at age 40 (I know that some directorships require an MBA, so I might go take some business classes to obtain that goal). Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds good to me! There seems to be a rather large number of vacancies in hospital pharmacy director positions...you probably don't need to wait that long (till your 40) to get there. Management experience (as a pharmacy supervisor) and/or an MBA probably helps, there are also specialized residencies in pharmacy administration, like at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
...but this wouldn't be terribly compatible with your desire to become a pediatric clinical pharmacist, since you might be taking a 2nd year specialty residency in pediatric pharmacy practice.

I've been leaning towards a drug information practice...doing one year of a pharmacy practice residency, then a second year drug information practice residency. I'm still leaving my options open, I may find something I'm truly passionate about before then...

I'm probably gonna be going to the ASHP midyear clinical meeting this December in New Orleans http://www.ashp.org/meetings/midyear/index.cfm?cfid=15202465&CFToken=42248343
to check out the "Residency Showcase" and meet with residency program coordinators. (and get a bagful of freebies and get stinkin' drunk ;) ) I hope I'll bump into some of you forum regulars there :)

Clinical pharmacy and hospital pharmacy management are two very different things. if you want to go into management, then you can just go straight to that, via some assistant directorships and similar positions. if that's what you truly want to do then then the residency is an unnecessary detour.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi neo my goals are similar to you.. i'm starting pharmacy this fall..would like to work in a hospital setting first..mostly geared towards clinical work and then later on move up to manegment..maybe getting an mba on the side.. i am also intrested in teaching at a college of pharmacy..

badxmojo,

Hey, are you planning on relocating to the west coast to practice because we just might have to compete for some of the positions? As Dubya would say, "bring it on..."

:p