Success of PGY2 with break Post-PGY1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Papichulooo_92

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wanting to invoke conversation and hear from those who has completed a PGY1 and then went into the workforce -- but then went back to pursue a PGY2.

Specifics around the amount of time you spent before applying, the area of pharmacy you went into post-PGY1 versus the practice area you applied to for PGY2, and the success rate.

I am currently about two years out from PGY1-residency and it still haunts me that I have not went back and tried to re-pursue a PGY2. I personally did attempt when I was a resident, but obviously did not work out and had to enter the work force. I am currently in a practice area that I do enjoy. So then I was wondering if it is even worth going for the PGY2 if I am where I want to be? minus the ASHP stamp of approval/certificate.

Curious to hear the thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I am between a few. I like the CC, EM, ID realm. But I do see Admin as a potential candidate.
I feel like having a broader range will obviously increase my chances of matching but being not committed to one specialty may look like i am unsure/unfocused.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone that has done this and was able to work in the specialty position, but that was many years ago. I'd say if you are financially stable and are comfortable knowing that you will have to reapply for jobs after you complete PGY2, then go for it. Just remember that even though you complete PGY2, you could ultimately end up with a staffing job or something similar to what you do now. You mentioned several different specialties so unless you have a full blown passion for one of those, i wouldn't risk quitting your current position because you'd end up searching far and wide to work in that niche position (possibly in a city you don't even want to live in).

Reactions: 1 user
Personally, I am between a few. I like the CC, EM, ID realm. But I do see Admin as a potential candidate.
I feel like having a broader range will obviously increase my chances of matching but being not committed to one specialty may look like i am unsure/unfocused.
ID is very interesting, but there are less ID jobs than CC and EM. However, ID is important for every area of pharmacy, so you could work other areas with ID residency. PGY2 is great for people who are willing to move to find the right job. But there may not be openings in your preferred location.

The other thing with strictly clinical work is that it seems like those positions can be cut more easily than distributive or staffing roles. They can always do without a pharmacist on rounds but they can’t do without a pharmacist dispensing and preparing IVs, verifying orders, etc.

ID is very interesting, but there are less ID jobs than CC and EM. However, ID is important for every area of pharmacy, so you could work other areas with ID residency. PGY2 is great for people who are willing to move to find the right job. But there may not be openings in your preferred location.

The other thing with strictly clinical work is that it seems like those positions can be cut more easily than distributive or staffing roles. They can always do without a pharmacist on rounds but they can’t do without a pharmacist dispensing and preparing IVs, verifying orders, etc.

I think our POV may differ just a little. I believe CC has the largest market but the most saturated! But it would be the most versatile of the 3. You are able to support roles such as EM, various times of ICU's, and sometimes ID depending on your subspecialty.

I believe EM is a new growing field. For years providers always operated their ED without us so they feel* competent and comfortable practicing because they yet to really see what we have to offer. But in terms of hospital operations, I've seen SO many times were the EM role is viewed as "optional". Where if there was staffing or budgeting issues, the EM role is the first to be pulled -- which i never agreed with.

For ID, I think this role is becoming mandatory by hospital standards due to needing an ASP champion for quality standards/measures. But yes, its hard to find still.

And playing devils advocated, why even do a residency if dispensing/preparation is the only real required job necessary in a hospital?!

I think you need to reflect on your "why" for applying to a PGY2- are you unable to compete with more qualified candidates for your desired job? Do you want to work in academia? What's preventing you from working in these areas with your PGY1 training and work experience? You'll need to reflect on these questions as they more or less will come up during interviews.

I understand applying to both ED and CC programs, but ID and Admin are their own realms and if you're undecided whether you want to be an ID pharmacist or ops manager/DOP then it would be a waste.