Success stories from foreign dentists in U.S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Purple mint

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all congratulations to all those who got invitations for interviews and those who got accepted!! :clap: We all know its not easy to make it here without adequate preparation and hard work. Please do share your success story with us and inspire the students who follow you. Make sure you include your stats and experience too! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Well i know we have success stories of many seniors who have got into an international dds program..I hope we get to hear success stories of international dentists who have already graduated and have to search for a work visa and how things worked out for them..i know this is not what this thread was not originally intended to be but i guess we all would love to hear what happened after graduation for all those ppl who were on f1 visas..how did they manage..how were they able to pay back their loans and in how many years..stuff like that

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all - let me thank god for making me fortunate enough to be writing here.

After graduating dental school back home - decided to make the big move across oceans to chase my american dream. It was tough - very tough - culture shock, language difference, and never never ending financial struggle. Did odd jobs like cafetaria etc while I was preparing for boards, faced failures but those failures made me strong, took me about two years to get into school and that was the toughest time of life --- very very hard -- emotionally, mentally, finacially.. many times i thought may be i made the wrong decision to move here -- but hey - at the end, one lucky day -- i got a phone call that I am accepted -- it was very late in the admissions cycle while i was already sending applications for the next cycle and there i was --future dentist! Next was the struggle to find money to pay for it - some loans from home country - one semester from here (far off relative was gracious enough to co-sign) my classmates in dental school helped and friends who were working - they helped (God did send some very helpful people my way) borrowed money from where-ever I could and finally, finally finally - there I was -- American Dentist! I dont know about loans yet -- making my mpayments -- prolly it will be few years before i can be debt free -- but coming to jobs, it was not much difficult. got interviews from most of places i applied and most of them offered. Don't know of anyone from my class or other students I know from before - who had trouble finding work or work visa.

It was a challenging journey and the challanges are not over yet- but if I would be asked to do it all over again - YES, i would do it all over again. Met some wonderful people along my way - friends, colleagues, professors and learnt a great deal - about dentistry, about people, about patients, about life in general.

If I could give one advise to someone who is at the starting point : Believe in yourself and give it your very best - if its meant to happen it will - but if it doesn't happen - you should feel that yes, I indeed gave it all I ever could - may be it wasn't meant to be. Dont have that regret that oh I did not try!

Every school is different - focus on every school as a new challange, build your applications, take the boards as early as you can and talk to the people who are in school, most of them are very willing to guide you -- provided you do your homework. I know things are different now with scoring and all -- not sure if that makes it easy or tough -- but i believe for such compettive education - it never was easy and probably it never will be -- just see what is in your hands and go for it.

Good luck to each and everyone of you! :luck::luck:

Reactions: 1 user
THanx a lot dr 37...Can u plz tell me about how is the visa status like h1b etc for international students...

THanx a lot dr 37...Can u plz tell me about how is the visa status like h1b etc for international students...
I m sorry i m going a little off track...i ve admission and visa in hand for an MS in perio...but i ve heard really gruesome stories of h1 visa and thereof..so much so that i m in two minds whether to make the move coz if i take those loans and dont have a job to repay i ll be nowhere...coming back then, won't be an option:-(
the euphoria of getting admitted has died down looooong ago and i m still in my home country..
any suggestions..

@ luvnluc

Do yu mind sharing the gruesome stories yu have heard for H1 cause I am in the process all seems fine.

@ luvnluc

Do yu mind sharing the gruesome stories yu have heard for H1 cause I am in the process all seems fine.

I am talking about pple who have done their masters only. it is difficult to get jobs unless u do dds which i want to avoid...additional expense plus time...two ms periodontist from us returned to their home country due to lack of availability of jobs...any inputs?

First of all - let me thank god for making me fortunate enough to be writing here.

After graduating dental school back home - decided to make the big move across oceans to chase my american dream. It was tough - very tough - culture shock, language difference, and never never ending financial struggle. Did odd jobs like cafetaria etc while I was preparing for boards, faced failures but those failures made me strong, took me about two years to get into school and that was the toughest time of life --- very very hard -- emotionally, mentally, finacially.. many times i thought may be i made the wrong decision to move here -- but hey - at the end, one lucky day -- i got a phone call that I am accepted -- it was very late in the admissions cycle while i was already sending applications for the next cycle and there i was --future dentist! Next was the struggle to find money to pay for it - some loans from home country - one semester from here (far off relative was gracious enough to co-sign) my classmates in dental school helped and friends who were working - they helped (God did send some very helpful people my way) borrowed money from where-ever I could and finally, finally finally - there I was -- American Dentist! I dont know about loans yet -- making my mpayments -- prolly it will be few years before i can be debt free -- but coming to jobs, it was not much difficult. got interviews from most of places i applied and most of them offered. Don't know of anyone from my class or other students I know from before - who had trouble finding work or work visa.

It was a challenging journey and the challanges are not over yet- but if I would be asked to do it all over again - YES, i would do it all over again. Met some wonderful people along my way - friends, colleagues, professors and learnt a great deal - about dentistry, about people, about patients, about life in general.

If I could give one advise to someone who is at the starting point : Believe in yourself and give it your very best - if its meant to happen it will - but if it doesn't happen - you should feel that yes, I indeed gave it all I ever could - may be it wasn't meant to be. Dont have that regret that oh I did not try!

Every school is different - focus on every school as a new challange, build your applications, take the boards as early as you can and talk to the people who are in school, most of them are very willing to guide you -- provided you do your homework. I know things are different now with scoring and all -- not sure if that makes it easy or tough -- but i believe for such compettive education - it never was easy and probably it never will be -- just see what is in your hands and go for it.

Good luck to each and everyone of you! :luck::luck:
Hi, thanks a lot for sharing your experience with us.As it is now pass/fail system, Can you please advice over the study material needed to pass nbde part 1? And apart from GPA and board exam preparation what other things help in getting admission? does volunteering work help? plz guide me.
I will appreciate your help.
Thanks