Apr 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I would love to hear any success stories with people with average stats who matched into Ophthalmology. By average I mean about a 225 Step 1, good letters of rec (but not from a "big wig"), and one or two research publications but nothing big.

I ask this because I probably will be one of these average applicants. I hope to do really well on step 1, but it would calm my nerves to hear about people with average stats getting in. I read posts on here all the time of PhD's with 10 publications and 250 Step 1 and LOR from the God of Ophthalmology that stress me out.

Sorry for taking over the Ophthalmology forum. I'll try to stop. But we need some more action on here!

Feb 18, 2010
Status
I know of someone who got into a residency with an under 200 board score. There are many people who get in on low scores. The SF match doesn't publish the range of scores of people who have matched. There are applicants who can enter dermatology, neurosurgery and plastic surgery with <200 usmle step 1 scores in 2009 - very very few people, but I kid you not they got in, just check the NRMP match. Ophthalmology is as competitive or less competitive than these fields.

Things happen. People get low scores. Many people do not get in, but people do. It's medicine - if you are passionate enough, it will show somehow. If not, there are other ways to fulfill your dream. It's nothing against you because I'm the exact same way. But we medical students come on these websites so often wondering if others comparable to us have made it. But instead of wasting our time thinking of these success stories, perhaps we should just be our own.