success stories with RC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faefly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So today I took my first RC test. I couldn't finish it on time, I mean the last passage I couldn't finish reading it so I guessed on some questions and I didn't even get to answer the last 7 questions.

I ended up with 15, so yeah the title explains it all.

Were any of you scoring in the 15 range and then got better after taking more tests? and how much better.

My strategy was reading the full passage and highlighting key stuff, but that obviously did not work.:smack:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was the same way when I first started. The best thing to do is just read more. Find a book you like and also read the scientific American links that BC provides. The only way to get faster and comprehend more is to just read more. I started off at 15's and got up to 21's when I made my way to the full length practice tests. Unfortunately on the real thing I lost track of time and got a 19, but practice helps a lot. keep your head up

Reactions: 1 users
So today I took my first RC test. I couldn't finish it on time, I mean the last passage I couldn't finish reading it so I guessed on some questions and I didn't even get to answer the last 7 questions.

I ended up with 15, so yeah the title explains it all.

Were any of you scoring in the 15 range and then got better after taking more tests? and how much better.

My strategy was reading the full passage and highlighting key stuff, but that obviously did not work.:smack:

How long have you been practicing RC for, and how much time do you have until you take your exam? Since you've identified speed as your issue I'd suggest working on passages without using the highlighting technique which will save a bit of time, but the main thing to improve on is just going to be reading speed from here on out - what kind of RC practice do you do on a more regular basis (e.g. do you read science articles daily)?

I scored an 18 on my first full length BC test, I was terrified! I've always scored so low on reading (ACT, SAT, now this). Yesterday I scored a 25. I read and write down a couple words for each paragraph then at around paragraph 7, I'll start answering questions. When I can't answer anymore then I'll continue to read until I find it. I found myself getting very distracted, so when I would read SA everyday I would force myself to read as slow as possible to really grasp the purpose of each paragraph. The first test I forced myself to focus and scored a 21. Then a week later I scored a 23, then a 25. Just keep focus! Take a deep breath before and focus on the paragraphs! Nothing else matters at that moment besides what your topic is.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How long have you been practicing RC for, and how much time do you have until you take your exam? Since you've identified speed as your issue I'd suggest working on passages without using the highlighting technique which will save a bit of time, but the main thing to improve on is just going to be reading speed from here on out - what kind of RC practice do you do on a more regular basis (e.g. do you read science articles daily)?

To be honest, I used to read SA articles the first month I started, about 1-3 each day, then I stopped doing that when I started studying Biology as it took all my time.
But, I think you are right, highlighting does make me slower. I'll try not highlight next time and see how I fare.

I was the same way when I first started. The best thing to do is just read more. Find a book you like and also read the scientific American links that BC provides. The only way to get faster and comprehend more is to just read more. I started off at 15's and got up to 21's when I made my way to the full length practice tests. Unfortunately on the real thing I lost track of time and got a 19, but practice helps a lot. keep your head up

This is encouraging, I mean I wouldn't mind a 19.
I think I understood the articles I read very well, but the questions were a bit hard, and then I spent too much time on the first passage. What was your strategy, I tried to do search and destroy on my last passage but I couldn't do that.

I scored an 18 on my first full length BC test, I was terrified! I've always scored so low on reading (ACT, SAT, now this). Yesterday I scored a 25. I read and write down a couple words for each paragraph then at around paragraph 7, I'll start answering questions. When I can't answer anymore then I'll continue to read until I find it. I found myself getting very distracted, so when I would read SA everyday I would force myself to read as slow as possible to really grasp the purpose of each paragraph. The first test I forced myself to focus and scored a 21. Then a week later I scored a 23, then a 25. Just keep focus! Take a deep breath before and focus on the paragraphs! Nothing else matters at that moment besides what your topic is.

25 Awesome, I hope you get something like that on the real thing :)
The mapping technique is very good, it keeps me from getting distracted, but I am afraid I'll even get slower if I did that.
But I'll try it, and see maybe i'll do better next time.

25 Awesome, I hope you get something like that on the real thing :)
The mapping technique is very good, it keeps me from getting distracted, but I am afraid I'll even get slower if I did that.
But I'll try it, and see maybe i'll do better next time.
Give it a go! I tried highlighting and got an 18 because I felt like I was reading purposely to look for stuff to highlight. With mapping, you get to handwrite it and that alone may help you cement it in your head. Also, I strongly suggest answering questions as you go! It's way easier to locate a sentence containing the answer of your question when you just read it.

And thank you, I hope I score anything near a 25 on the real deal lol

Reactions: 1 user
I think I understood the articles I read very well, but the questions were a bit hard, and then I spent too much time on the first passage. What was your strategy, I tried to do search and destroy on my last passage but I couldn't do that.

I am absolute trash at SnD so my strategy was to get to a point where I could read and comprehend a longer passage in 7-8 min. This involved reading the longest articles I could find on SA and then taking a few hand written notes to summarize. Also reading a book that I liked helped to boost speed. You'll become faster without realizing it. Then when I got to practice tests, I was able to finish most articles in 7-8 minutes leaving 12 minutes to answer questions. Last tip is to not overthink the questions, trust your gut.

At this point, I think i've read enough on sdn against s&D to suggest that noone do it because RC tests can be random, like like every other aspect of this fuggin exam. S&D leaves too much to chance.

BYU4you Balanced RC Strategy | DAT Bootcamp

This guy's strategy seems to work really well. the best/consistent scores go to those that balance reading/skimming the passage in high detail, and attacking the question.
Ofc, this wouldn't be needed if peopel were able to absorb every detail like a sponge.

I started with a 15 as well, but i found out that the search and destroy method works well for me. Personally, I like the S&D because you read the passage as you are simultaneously answering questions and you can always mark the inference based questions for later and just answer the factual ones quicker. Eventually started scoring 20+ on the bootcamp test (not the best, but i'll take it). This section is all about timing, so you just need to look up different strategies and try them out and see what works best for you.

Search & Destroy Guide for DAT Reading Comprehension | DAT Bootcamp

I also used BYU4you's strategy and loved it. Ended up with a 23 on the actual test. For my practice exams I started with an 18, then went to a 20, 21, 22, and back down to a 21 (in that order). My biggest advice would be to look into the different strategies that are around SDN and pick one that you like and then just practice with it. You'll notice yourself having an easier time finding the answers and getting through the passage. Good luck! I am excited to see how well you do.

Don't worry I started with a 16 on Bootcamp as well. I absolutely think that Bootcamp is harder than DAT. In the end I averaged around 20 on Bootcamp, the passages are similar difficulty but the questions are way easier on the real thing. I ended up with a 29! You'll be surprised how much better you do on the real thing if you keep at it