Success Story: All Ye Who Enter (don't) Abandon All Hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeachBlondie

Put some tussin on it!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Check my stats: I've been on SDN since before Barrack Obama ran for President... Hell, I've been around so long that people have recognized me in public and have called me out by my SDN handle (really -- like, a lot).

I've moved across the country, taken countless classes, pulled 70-hour weeks for years at a time, and had my fair share of let downs -- all in pursuit of this crazy idea of being a doctor.

Finally, I get to post my success story. And, with recent circumstances surrounding AACOMAS policy change, I thought some of you might benefit from hearing some good news from someone who made it through to the other side...

---------

Long, long ago, I was sportscasting. It seemed like the most obvious route -- I was an athlete all my life, and was a ham in front of the camera. Before graduating from my undergrad institution, I got a call from the NFL network....... and at the moment in which I should have been celebrating my achievements, I felt empty.

I knew, in my heart, sportscasting wasn't "it". I was a science nut, I am curious to a fault, and I desperately wanted to self-actualize. So, I said no. I politely declined what many would murder for. And then went into a period of, "Well, now what?". After a ton of reflection, I came across medicine and never looked back.

Around the same time, my father was diagnosed with cancer. And things got real aggressive, and real serious, real quick. I was packing open surgical sites, checking him for infection, and managing a good deal of his care (both medical and emotional). Things got so bad that the surgeons had to remove his entire arm--up to the shoulder--to save his life. So, I moved an hour away from my undergrad, into his house, to help. All hands on deck (minus his one hand....because it's gone now... Ha! ..Well, these jokes are funny to my dad and I). I found out from an admissions dean that I should consider doing a post-bacc and spare my non-traditional major. So, I took another year to finish my degree, get involved in the pre-med scene, and apply to post-baccs.

With my dad finally (and thankfully!) in the clear, I was accepted to Harvard's post-bacc program. So, I took every penny I had, jumped on a plane, and moved to Boston with a couple of suitcases. Now, we were told to only commit to a limited number of hours for extra-curriculars because the coursework was so demanding. But, I had to pay for tuition, rent, and...you know...food. So, I applied to over 100 (yes, really... Boston is saturated with pre-meds) research positions and was able to land one at MGH. I worked 50 hours per week, and took 2 classes per semester, for the two-year duration of the program. Now, the attrition rate in the Harvard program is.... astronomical. It is incredibly, incredibly tough. I would get home at 10:00-11:00pm, study, and get up at 6:00am for work. Monday through Friday. The result? B's. Lots and lots of B's. Which, considering how many people dropped out of the program, I was pretty proud of.

With the pre-reqs under my belt, it was time to take the MCAT. I had studied my hindquarters off, scheduled a test date, and BOOM... dad had a heart attack -- tissue was so damaged, he needed open-heart surgery. So, two weeks before the test, I cancelled and flew 2,000 miles back home. Couldn't schedule the test again for months. Things got better, I flew back to my house, and resumed studying (still researching full-time). On my practice exams, I was pulling--on average--a 35. Test day came, test felt great, and I ended up with a 30. Respectable, but not high enough to make up for allllll the B's at Harvard. Ugh. More hurdles.

I applied anyway. All allopathic (by this point, I had years of research and publications -- thought it would be something they were into). I got an interview, interviewers loved me, and I was waitlisted -- Dean of Admissions didn't like my GPA. Summer came and went, and I wasn't pulled into the class. I knew that my academics needed help; I had to prove that the B's in my pre-reqs were a product of circumstance. I decided that undergrad classes wouldn't make a dent in my GPA (I had so many credits), and applied to a heavy-science Master's program (with cell bio, neuro, biochem, the works!). First several classes (still researching full-time), I earned A's. I was advised by the school in which I was waitlisted to apply again; that THIS TIME, my chances would be more favorable. I got the interview, had an interviewer shake my hand and say (verbatim), "You're going to make an excellent doctor", and.........waitlisted again. Waited and waited and waited.... nothing. Didn't get pulled for a second year.

(Cue moments of frustration and anger)

I said, you know what? I'm trying to be a doctor. I don't care what the initials behind my name are. Maybe osteopathic schools would be more willing to give me a chance. So, as I'm finishing my Master's, I apply to 4 schools, become complete at 2, interview at one, and was accepted a couple of weeks later.

After the ongoing medical saga with my dad, the sleepless nights, the long hours at work, studying for exams on the subway or plane or in the back of an Uber, being told "no" for two consecutive cycles, being told that I should probably rethink my path, years and years and years just to get to apply, being so exhausted that I would catch any circulating cold or flu.... I picked up my phone to:

"Hey, BeachBlondie! Did you get your acceptance letter??"
- '....I'm sorry, what?'
"Ohhhhhh, you didn't get the email yet....... Well, you're accepted!!"

The shock. The pride. The humility. It has made these last....shoot....8 years of preparation worthwhile.

3.36c/3.10s/4.0g/30

If I have the capacity to reinvent, fail, struggle, cry, rant, and succeed, then so do YOU. You, reading this, have the ability to achieve this impossible and beautiful dream, if you have the rocks to get through the toil and refuse to be deterred by moments of adversity.

If my story helps to inspire one person, then I'm glad to have posted it.

May 2017 bring much fortune and fortitude. I wish you all the absolute best of luck.

Yours faithfully,

BeachBlondie

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 47 users
You did 8 years worth of post-bac work??? O.O

Congrats BeachBlondie. You're a warrior

Last edited:
You did 8 years worth of post-bac work??? O.O

Congrats BeachBlondie. You're a warrior

Haha nonono. Including finishing my non-traditional degree, applying to post-bacc, my dad's issues, completing post bacc, MCAT, two cycles of being turned down... you get it -- it all adds up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!
Your story is so inspiring. You deserve it!

Awesome story man!
All that hard work and struggle paid off
You're going to be an excellent doctor

You, sir, are an inspiration to us all!

Jesus Christ 8 years wow. Remind me never to complain ever again on sdn lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I love underdog stories. Congrats; your perseverance is incredibly admirable.

Sorry if I missed it, but where will you be attending OP?

Congratulations! Future classmates at NOVA!

Congrats BeachBlondie. I am sure you are going to be a great doctor and your future patients will be really blessed to have you as their doctor.

On a side note, do you follow the NFL by any chance? I am just wondering because you said your were an athlete and were offered a job from the NFL Network.

I would give up my first born child to have a career on NFL network. Thats amazing

Check my stats: I've been on SDN since before Barrack Obama ran for President... Hell, I've been around so long that people have recognized me in public and have called me out by my SDN handle (really -- like, a lot).

I've moved across the country, taken countless classes, pulled 70-hour weeks for years at a time, and had my fair share of let downs -- all in pursuit of this crazy idea of being a doctor.

Finally, I get to post my success story. And, with recent circumstances surrounding AACOMAS policy change, I thought some of you might benefit from hearing some good news from someone who made it through to the other side...

---------

Long, long ago, I was sportscasting. It seemed like the most obvious route -- I was an athlete all my life, and was a ham in front of the camera. Before graduating from my undergrad institution, I got a call from the NFL network....... and at the moment in which I should have been celebrating my achievements, I felt empty.

I knew, in my heart, sportscasting wasn't "it". I was a science nut, I am curious to a fault, and I desperately wanted to self-actualize. So, I said no. I politely declined what many would murder for. And then went into a period of, "Well, now what?". After a ton of reflection, I came across medicine and never looked back.

Around the same time, my father was diagnosed with cancer. And things got real aggressive, and real serious, real quick. I was packing open surgical sites, checking him for infection, and managing a good deal of his care (both medical and emotional). Things got so bad that the surgeons had to remove his entire arm--up to the shoulder--to save his life. So, I moved an hour away from my undergrad, into his house, to help. All hands on deck (minus his one hand....because it's gone now... Ha! ..Well, these jokes are funny to my dad and I). I found out from an admissions dean that I should consider doing a post-bacc and spare my non-traditional major. So, I took another year to finish my degree, get involved in the pre-med scene, and apply to post-baccs.

With my dad finally (and thankfully!) in the clear, I was accepted to Harvard's post-bacc program. So, I took every penny I had, jumped on a plane, and moved to Boston with a couple of suitcases. Now, we were told to only commit to a limited number of hours for extra-curriculars because the coursework was so demanding. But, I had to pay for tuition, rent, and...you know...food. So, I applied to over 100 (yes, really... Boston is saturated with pre-meds) research positions and was able to land one at MGH. I worked 50 hours per week, and took 2 classes per semester, for the two-year duration of the program. Now, the attrition rate in the Harvard program is.... astronomical. It is incredibly, incredibly tough. I would get home at 10:00-11:00pm, study, and get up at 6:00am for work. Monday through Friday. The result? B's. Lots and lots of B's. Which, considering how many people dropped out of the program, I was pretty proud of.

With the pre-reqs under my belt, it was time to take the MCAT. I had studied my hindquarters off, scheduled a test date, and BOOM... dad had a heart attack -- tissue was so damaged, he needed open-heart surgery. So, two weeks before the test, I cancelled and flew 2,000 miles back home. Couldn't schedule the test again for months. Things got better, I flew back to my house, and resumed studying (still researching full-time). On my practice exams, I was pulling--on average--a 35. Test day came, test felt great, and I ended up with a 30. Respectable, but not high enough to make up for allllll the B's at Harvard. Ugh. More hurdles.

I applied anyway. All allopathic (by this point, I had years of research and publications -- thought it would be something they were into). I got an interview, interviewers loved me, and I was waitlisted -- Dean of Admissions didn't like my GPA. Summer came and went, and I wasn't pulled into the class. I knew that my academics needed help; I had to prove that the B's in my pre-reqs were a product of circumstance. I decided that undergrad classes wouldn't make a dent in my GPA (I had so many credits), and applied to a heavy-science Master's program (with cell bio, neuro, biochem, the works!). First several classes (still researching full-time), I earned A's. I was advised by the school in which I was waitlisted to apply again; that THIS TIME, my chances would be more favorable. I got the interview, had an interviewer shake my hand and say (verbatim), "You're going to make an excellent doctor", and.........waitlisted again. Waited and waited and waited.... nothing. Didn't get pulled for a second year.

(Cue moments of frustration and anger)

I said, you know what? I'm trying to be a doctor. I don't care what the initials behind my name are. Maybe osteopathic schools would be more willing to give me a chance. So, as I'm finishing my Master's, I apply to 4 schools, become complete at 2, interview at one, and was accepted a couple of weeks later.

After the ongoing medical saga with my dad, the sleepless nights, the long hours at work, studying for exams on the subway or plane or in the back of an Uber, being told "no" for two consecutive cycles, being told that I should probably rethink my path, years and years and years just to get to apply, being so exhausted that I would catch any circulating cold or flu.... I picked up my phone to:

"Hey, BeachBlondie! Did you get your acceptance letter??"
- '....I'm sorry, what?'
"Ohhhhhh, you didn't get the email yet....... Well, you're accepted!!"

The shock. The pride. The humility. It has made these last....shoot....8 years of preparation worthwhile.

3.36c/3.10s/4.0g/30

If I have the capacity to reinvent, fail, struggle, cry, rant, and succeed, then so do YOU. You, reading this, have the ability to achieve this impossible and beautiful dream, if you have the rocks to get through the toil and refuse to be deterred by moments of adversity.

If my story helps to inspire one person, then I'm glad to have posted it.

May 2017 bring much fortune and fortitude. I wish you all the absolute best of luck.

Yours faithfully,

BeachBlondie

Congrats. Your future pts will be very fortunate to have you as their physician.

Congrats BeachBlondie. I am sure you are going to be a great doctor and your future patients will be really blessed to have you as their doctor.

On a side note, do you follow the NFL by any chance? I am just wondering because you said your were an athlete and were offered a job from the NFL Network.

If you're asking if I watch football anymore: no. Being immersed in it for so long, and knowing how the players are treated, it's no longer enjoyable to me.

Thank you for sharing. Your story is inspirational. It was people like you sharing their stories that made me believe that I could actually do this too.

Congratulations!!

Thank you for sharing. Your story is inspirational. It was people like you sharing their stories that made me believe that I could actually do this too.

Congratulations!!

Really needed to hear this today. Thanks, man. And congrats!

SDN is about people getting other people through it! Glad it's helpful :)

Wow! Over the years I've patched together parts of your life story.... But it was even better getting to read the whole story! I'm so proud of you! Hopefully I will be joining you this fall at Nova!

Wow! Over the years I've patched together parts of your life story.... But it was even better getting to read the whole story! I'm so proud of you! Hopefully I will be joining you this fall at Nova!

YESSSS!!!!! That would be amazing! Thank you for being a part of my journey :)

Hell yeah! Being in the minority, I do not recognize you. But that is an amazing story. Congrats

Congratulations BeachBlondie!

I also did a postbac at HES (2011-2014), then an master's (SMP). Long journey for me as well. I'm in the thick of first year right now.

I've seen your posts over the years, and it seemed like you applied like 5 years ago and ever year since then, you posted about how you were applying.

It's good to see that you finally made it.

Enjoy your time before school starts. Really.

The harvard postbac is tough, but it's not even anywhere near as tough as med school. Like night and day. Just relax now, and be ready to turn up once school starts.

Congratulations BeachBlondie!

I also did a postbac at HES (2011-2014), then an master's (SMP). Long journey for me as well. I'm in the thick of first year right now.

I've seen your posts over the years, and it seemed like you applied like 5 years ago and ever year since then, you posted about how you were applying.

It's good to see that you finally made it.

Enjoy your time before school starts. Really.

The harvard postbac is tough, but it's not even anywhere near as tough as med school. Like night and day. Just relax now, and be ready to turn up once school starts.

Hi!

Haha -- I applied the previous two years (hadn't even finished pre-reqs 5 years ago). Perhaps you're confusing me with another blonde of the beach. Thanks for reaching out :)

I went through the FIU waitlist madness with you during the 2014-2015 cycle. I am so happy that everything worked out for you! I can tell by your drive & positive attitude that you are going to be an amazing doctor!

Hi!

Haha -- I applied the previous two years (hadn't even finished pre-reqs 5 years ago). Perhaps you're confusing me with another blonde of the beach. Thanks for reaching out :)

I guess I was exaggerating a little, but I'm pretty sure I got the correct beach blondie though.. my roommate pointed out to me who you are in person (5 years ago). So yeah, these new schoolers better believe these beachblondie sightings you're talking about.

I guess I was exaggerating a little, but I'm pretty sure I got the correct beach blondie though.. my roommate pointed out to me who you are in person (5 years ago). So yeah, these new schoolers better believe these beachblondie sightings you're talking about.

AHAHAHAHA! There you have it! Yeah, I've had the *tap tap* while in line somewhere, "Are you....umm....BeachBlondie?". And I got recognized by fellow interviewees somewhat recently.

So, you saw me at the end of my Harvard reign -- did we meet in person?

Last edited:
I went through the FIU waitlist madness with you during the 2014-2015 cycle. I am so happy that everything worked out for you! I can tell by your drive & positive attitude that you are going to be an amazing doctor!

Phew... crazy times, that was. Best of luck in your continuation of school :D