Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Success Story for Discouraged Pre-Meds

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by guy104, Dec 4, 2000.

1. guy104

guy104 Member

I realize this could be seen as a self-gratifying post, and it may be to an extent. But my main intention is to give a little hope to some of the pre-meds that may have made a C or two....or five, in pre-recs, and think they have no chance getting into med school. I went to a state university, majoring in engineering. i screwed around, trying to "get by" with studying just enough to make a's or b's, ending up with c's in many of my med school pre-recs. i finally applied myself my 4th and 5th years and did really well in tough classes. but i thought i had no chance getting into med school. i finally decided to give it a shot after graduation, and studied for the mcat for about a month before the august 1999 mcat. got a 24, with a 6 in bio. sci. yikes. decided to quit my demanding 40 hr/wk job to study, and waited tables to pay the bills. took the april 2000 mcat. thought i did better. got a 24, 7 in bio sci. yikes. thought my chances were totally blown. during this period i interviewed at a top 25 state med school and was told if i pulled up my mcat to a 28, i'd probably get in. i studied really hard for the august 2000 exam and ended up with a 31. while waiting for my mcat results i moved to another state, so my chances at the top 25 state school probably aren't very good now as an out-of-stater, but to FINALLY get to the point.........I JUST GOT ACCEPTED TO MEDICAL SCHOOL in my new state of residency. hope this wasn't terribly boring, but i just wanted to show that, yeah, i didn't have fifty f's and murder someone, but i definitely had some strikes against me. i stared rejection in the face for a year and a half, but now i'm in. don't let anyone tell you that you don't have a chance. just decide that you will overcome whatever obstacles there are. and the key, believe that you can do it. don't work expecting to fail. GOOD LUCK.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. wow...you have made my day...cheers to you man!!! I now feel a little better while I still wait to hear from schools...Congrats to you [​IMG]

4. Pathologist

Pathologist Senior Member

Hey, thanks! That makes me feel a lot better about the grade I'm getting in biology [​IMG]

Congratulations on your acceptance [​IMG]

5. alceria

alceria Senior Member

I just wanted to congratulate you as well. Good luck next fall!

6. lumanyika

lumanyika Senior Member

Cheers mate [​IMG]

------------------
    TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN,MUCH IS EXPECTED.

7. Cobragirl

Cobragirl Hoohaa helper ;)

Resident [Any Field]
    First I want to say congrats to Guy for making it in!

Second, I want to expand on his post a bit just to give a little more encouragement! I never finished high school, came back to college at 26 (a junior college actually), and made straight C's in Chemistry because I had no previous chemistry in high school (I never even made it past pre-algebra, for that matter). Well, anyway, I found out today that I've been wait-listed at EVMS (I'm out-of-state too). I know to many of you that may not seem like a big deal, a disappointment even, but for me it was WONDERFUL!! Granted, I wish I had been accepted outright, and of course there's a chance I might not get a spot, BUT AT LEAST I GOT THIS FAR!!!! Ten years ago I would have laughed in someone's face (and so would've all my family & friends!) if they had suggested I'd be going to medical school! To top it all off, I still have nine other secondaries out right now, and haven't received a single rejection. Sure, I know I'll get some eventually...I'm not THAT good, but it's encouraging to me that I've lasted this long! [​IMG] I just hope I hear something positive soon....I REALLY don't want to have to start studying for the MCAT again! [​IMG] Good luck to everyone!

[This message has been edited by Cobragirl (edited 12-04-2000).]

8. gabbers22

gabbers22 Member

Guy 104--
    WOW!! Congratulations on all your successes. Your post is such an inspiration to all of us who are still struggling with admissions and the MCAT.
    I just have a question for you...what did you do differently to raise your MCAT score so much? Did you take a prep course? How long did you study every day...etc...(I have to tkae the MCAT for a third time this April..and was wondering about some hints). Again...congrats!

9. youngjock

youngjock Banned
    Banned

i think that it is absurd for med. schools to judge a person by mcat score alone. everyone can improve his/her mcat scores. besides, even if the person got 35, that doesn't mean that s/he has changed mentally.

10. Philoguru

Philoguru Junior Member

Guy,

I am so happy for you!! Doesn't it feel soooo good? [​IMG] You have given us all hope!!!!

11. guy104

guy104 Member

to gabbers, i'm not saying this in a jerk way, just to direct you to where you need to go. i replied to your post about third time mcat, and you can read that to see what i did to improve the mcat score. it definitely changed my position in the application pool. in general, you just have to be very devoted, and even when you feel like you aren't retaining as much as you would like, keep going and work as hard as you can. that means as hard as you can and it still do some good. don't go so hard that you fry your brain. it definitely needs rest. but i would get up around 8am or so, and be at the library where kaplan stuff was on reserve by 9 or 930am. i'd study until around 1pm, usually take a long lunch, about an hour and a half, then go back and stay until 5 or 6. sometimes i would bring videos home. i found that i couldn't go as hard core at night so i would use the videos as a way to study without having to put too much effort. breaking up reading with videos and topical tests (which are only about 30 minutes long) was a really good strategy for me. good luck, and just find what works for you. trust your mind and body. if you're not getting anything that day, take the rest of the day off. of course, you can't do that very often, but there were definitely days that i gave myself a break and said, "hey i deserve to be normal." and i would usually not work much on saturday. good luck

12. guy104

guy104 Member

oh yeah. and thanks a lot to all of the people that are congratulating me. it means a lot, and it is very nice of all of you to be happy for me. i'm very excited, can hardly believe it actually. just realize that i read premedical.com a year and half ago and almost thought i wouldn't get in because of all the people there saying, "well, you have to have this and this to get in." it's like everybody's an expert, yet they're all still not in. don't let anything anyone says get you down. just tell yourself that one day you'll be able to say, " i did it so f off jerks."

13. bladerunner

bladerunner New Member

Right on brother

14. gabbers22

gabbers22 Member

Guy104--
    Thanks for replying back. I realized yesterday after I posted the message to you that you had already told me your success story from my first post. I had printed out what you wrote the first time...and have been reviewing it...I guess when I posted yesterday, my mind went blank on ho I was responding too. I hope you weren't offended in any way....you gave such great advice and information on the post that you sent me the first (and now second time too). Thanks for all of your advice! Again, I hope you weren't mad!

15. guy104

guy104 Member

no, i wasn't mad at all. i tried to be clear about that. i knew it might come off that way, i just wanted to let you know where you could find the reply since it is a pretty long one and i didn't have time to type it over. good luck, and don't stop believing you can do it.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. jasmineH

jasmineH Member

Good job Guy! Goes to show we should never take to heart what everyone else says.

18. Jacky

Jacky Member

Masterful Job, GUY#796859!!! Your nothing but an inspiration I now hold close to my heart!! I just pray that someday, (in spring, of course) I will possess the human touch and god given talent you have so graciously provided us sorry-ass, sphincter-licking pre-meds. Bless you, GUY#3625546. (THE CHOSEN ONE) Yes, thats right! Bless you!!

19. guy104

guy104 Member

jacky, just trying to clarify. are you being sarcastic or actually thanking me? the sphincter-licking premed comment hinted that you thought i thought i was better than you or something. if so, i don't, and if it wasn't sarcasm, i'm glad i could help. and you will make it. good luck.