Success with reapplying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It looks like I'll have to apply again this year cause I'm still not accepted! Any success stories out there with applying a second time?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes I was successful upon applying the second time. The only catch is that I did the post-bac program at MCPHU and obtained a masters.

I wanted to know if it is a wise idea to take a post bac if you have decent grades in most of your BCPM classes. 4A's, 1 B+, 1B, 2C's. I am currently on three waitlists, but suppose nothing works out should I seek a post bac, or just take upper level graduate science courses? :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
To sacrament ... did you take a full year off or did you reapply the next application cycle? Thanks

i have a couple of acceptances this year after striking out last year. the differences this year: sent out amcas and secondaries much earlier (this is an absolute MUST!!), started a free nutrition clinic with a doctor that i work with, had a few papers published.

in the end, it really is a crap shoot. i didn't get interview invites from anyone that i interviewed with last year. all the schools that i interviewed with this year rejected me right away last year. go figure...

opus do you have a good idea why you weren't accepted? Low scores, applied late, didn't apply to enough schools, etc? I know this totally sucks, but it can be a learning experience. Best of luck to you.

I had 3 interviews and applied to 12 schools. All rejects and 1 alternate list. My interviwers thought I needed more EC and I do. Shadowing a doctor right now before reapplication. My MCAT 12BS 12PS 11VR and GPA 3.2. Weak GPA, I know, but they didn't think so. Hoping my summer EC is all I need! Thanks for input, everyone.

Did those of you who re-applied change your materials?
1. Personal Statement on AMCAS App.
2. Secondary essay's
3. Post-Secondary experincees on AMCAS App.

I was thinking about tweeking the essay a little, but since I just applied last year not much has changed.

I have been a victim to AMCAS torture a whopping three times. The difference in my application between the first two times and the last time was my MCAT score. I took a Kaplan course and it helped me tremendously (enough to get 4 acceptances and 1 wait-list this year). I would definitely recommend applying again but make sure that you keep in touch with someone on the ADCOM to the schools you are applying to and also find out exactly what you need to improve on your application for next year. I think this shows initiative and dedication on your part which will definitely be considered next year. Good Luck! :wink:

I too, applied twice. The first time I got one interview only (at my state school) That school, in it's rejection letter, outlined what the committee thought were my weaknesses. Basically, as a nontraditional student, most of my hard science classes were taken *several* years prior, so they wanted recent classes. I took 2 classes that summer at a local school with fairly cheap tuition, and 2 classes in the fall. I also retook the MCAT becuase my scores were a couple years old. Having new MCAT scores increased the pool of schools I could appy to (since many want scores only 2-3 years old). I also did better (first time 10-8-10 P second time 12-10-12-Q). I sent my AMCAS in early, and got 5 interviews (though the first was in Feb, so I took 2 more classes in the spring). During this time I worked 2 part time jobs. I was accepted at the state school that inteviewed me twice, where I am now about to start my 4th year.

My school is fairly unique in working with reapplicants, I think. There are several students in every class who applied multiple times. The highest number of attempts I know of is 4. Everyone that I know of who applied multiple times does well (ie they are not at the bottom of the class)

Good luck

Anyone out there with more success stories for reapplicants?

Ask me one year from now. :)

I'm reapplying after a 1 year hiatus and hopefully I'll do a better job this time around. I was apprehensive about not applying right away at first but taking a year off is no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I have retaken the MCAT, which was the major problem with my application the first time. Also, I had no research experience and I have addressed that now so that by the time I matriculate (hopefully) I will have had 2 years of it.

As for the Personal Statement, my old one was a POS so I scrapped it and began a new one which I am writing as of the moment. Even incomplete as it is now, it is still better than what I wrote 2 years ago.

As for LORs I am using the same 3 from professors that I originally used plus one current letter from my PI which I think will be the best letter of the bunch.

Taking time off and improving a lot of things during that time makes me feel a lot more comfortable with my app this time around. Perhaps you may want to skip this application cycle and do some other things to improve your application. You should consider this especially if you are fresh out of undergrad as I was.

Good Luck!

mdo3,
what did you do to omprove your MCAT six points, and what did you do differntly from the first time(Different materials, different studying technique). Also, how far in advance did you start studying for the MCAT compared with the first time?