1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Successful appeal to FAP rejection?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by CultureDoc, Jun 5, 2008.

1. CultureDoc

CultureDoc MSII
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi all,

I've done a bunch of searches on this topic to no avail, so here goes. I'm trying to appeal the automatic rejection made on my application for the AAMC Fee Asisstance Program. My salary - which supports my husband and myself - is definitely below 300% of the fed poverty level . . . but I had to put parental info on there, and my mom's (single parent, secretary) salary is just above that 300% mark . . . so I was auto-rejected (which is sooo annoying. It's not like I have wealthy parents . . . by a long shot). I'm guessing there may be some other financially independent non-trads out there who have had a similar issue?

As soon as I got that automatic decision back, I e-mailed the FAP folks a detailed appeal, but it was just shot down today with a form-like response about not distinguishing between financially dependent and independent status of the applicant. I called them up and asked how I might appeal that decision, and they told me to e-mail my reasons for an appeal to them . . . but I feel like that's what I've already done. I asked if I could mail tax forms, etc.,and they said that would be a good idea . . . so, I'm wondering if I could just mail (FedEx) them the appeal instead of e-mailing (which thus far hasn't worked).

Anyone out there done this sort of thing successfully? I was really counting on this, and I'm not ready to give up without a fight 9but time is also of the essence). I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pinkipod

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What exactly is the 300% of the fed poverty level?

Did your mom's salary increase at all for 2007? I would think if her 2006 salary is lower maybe you can include that as well?

4. CultureDoc

CultureDoc MSII
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks for the response. That might be a good idea to include her 2006 tax returns . . . although I think she probably just got a modest cost-of-living increase.

Here are the federal poverty guidelines for 2008. You take those numbers and multiply by 3, and that gives you the AAMC's cut-off for FAP. What I'm not sure about is whether they considered my mother, my husband, and me a household of 3, or whether they look at my household of 2 and then look at her household of 1 and if either is over 300% of that category, they automatically reject. The latter method would be preferable in arguing my case because ours is definitely under and hers is not much over.

Argh. Now to have my mom send me copies of her tax returns and get all that stuff sent in a bundle to AAMC . . . grr!

5. nontrdgsbuiucmd

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've experience with this.

For financially independant folk, aamc looks at 300% of poverty level for both the applicant's household, and the parents' household if separate; BOTH must be 300% of the poverty level or below. Yes that includes applicants who have been independant for 10+ years and live in separate households. The aamc office said that the criteria were made by a private donor(s) and are cannot be changed.

That said, a number of schools will grant an exception to the secondary fee provided you tell them the situation; they generally require that you also send them a screenprint proving you tried to qualify for FAP.

6. Live4Life

Live4Life Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In order to try to obtain the wavier from schools directly, did you simply call them after they sent you a secondary to explain your situation and followed up by including a letter and the FAP denial printout with the secondary application form?

7. zed350

zed350 I want my superapple
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It might be of no help at all but i guess you said you were just above the 300% but i see that you are referencing 2008 poverty guidelines. I believe that you HAVE to use 2007 poverty guidelines which are little lower than those of 2008, maybe that is an issue in your case too.Best of :luck: though with your case.

8. nontrdgsbuiucmd

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes, contacting offices by phone seems to work best to explain the situation, some schools also requested FAP waiver be e-mailed to them, this can be done by copying a screenprint into a word doc & e-mailing it. (ctrl+prt scrn I believe is the "copy" function, then ctrl + V in word) a number of schools have sympathy for those who would qualify exept for parental income, provided there's a clear separation between parents/children. Many schools simply said that they only grant 2ndary fee waivers to those who qualified for FAP waiver, however. The process kind of makes you feel like just a number (AAMC number I guess?)

9. Live4Life

Live4Life Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for the help, I appreciate the advice.

10. CultureDoc

CultureDoc MSII
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is really good info. Thanks so much!

Good to know. It does worsen the case but only by a tiny bit. ;)

Yup. Just when you want most to feel like a unique individual, you get all kinds of wonderful form-letter responses. :rolleyes: Thanks again for the help!

11. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I hate to break it to you, but many medical schools will still look at your parents' income when deciding how much aid to give you as well. Isn't this just all just a grand money-making scheme :rolleyes:

Good luck with the AAMC, I doubt they'll budge. With the sheer number of apps they've screwed up (you should have seen the year before I applied!), I think they simply don't care.