successful black doctors, med students, and pre- med students

minigirly17

10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi, I am just wondering what keeps you guys going everyday. Sometimes it seems as though the studying is soooo much that I'm going to pass out, but then I think of you who are pushing on or that have pushed on and I get encouragement. I was just wondering, what some of the things that helped you guys so that I may have other ideas.

I also want to say that I am proud of all of you for pushing forward through tough times!!!!:thumbup: :)

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Hi, I am just wondering what keeps you guys going everyday. Sometimes it seems as though the studying is soooo much that I'm going to pass out, but then I think of you who are pushing on or that have pushed on and I get encouragement. I was just wondering, what some of the things that helped you guys so that I may have other ideas.

I also want to say that I am proud of all of you for pushing forward through tough times!!!!:thumbup: :)
I forsee this getting ugly, real quick..........

pennybridge

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
what does this have to do with being black? Lots of people study in med school, not just minorities.

About the Ads

youngnflyy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Well for me personally, one of the first things I learned especially when I first got to college was that there will be lots of days where encouragment is few and far between. Sure it helps, but I think the most important thing is that you have to believe in yourself and push yourself, even when you feel like quitting. So just work hard and believe in yourself, and everything else will fall into place.

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
what does this have to do with being black? Lots of people study in med school, not just minorities.

TRUE!!!!!!!! They have a "Any Black Male Premed thread" already as well as the equivalent female version of that for the purpose of african american only threads.

Although in keeping with the title, the most successful African American doctor I've ever heard of would be Dr. Ben Carson of Johns Hopkins Neurosurgery Department. I intend to read his book "Gifted Hands" at some point and hope they make a movie about him eventually like they did with the Chris Gardner story recently.

IceMan0824

Holy crip, he's a crapple
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student

But if you are a minority and study in medical school, you deserve a thread on SDN.:idea:

youngnflyy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I was going to say something about successful black physicians..

but, strangely, I've never met a black doctor, as far as I can remember.

weird.

Now that I think about it, I've only met 2.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2005
USA
doctajay.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

Its ok. Don't worry about the comments. They always bash new users that don't use the search function first. There are great threads out there for black premed males and black premed females. They are below:

Male: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=256277&highlight=black+male+female

Female:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=11997&highlight=black+male+female
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=362704&highlight=black+female+part

About the Ads

TleilaxuMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2007
Status (Visible)
Actually I dont study......But you probably can guess my race.....or at least narrow it down, between 2 races.

nutster

Rarrr!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status (Visible)

Good God I love those things...the Girl Scout cookies, right?

samoas_cookie.gif

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.