Successful interviewers, could you give advice? Resources?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotrumpet

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Do you know of any good interview resources, like DVD's or videos where they guide you through the process?

I was always wondering whether such things existed because normally it seems like most resources are just books where they give you information so general it doesn't really help in a real-life situation.

Also, any book suggestions you guys have would be great.

And if any of you guys did really well on your interviews, could you give us any specific tips?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

-Relax, be yourself, and don't try too hard to impress people
-Answer honestly, nobody's out to trick you or ask you any difficult questions, (although I got "pimped" once, by some guy who asked me to list 3 ocular side effects of steroids), but this is the exception rather than rule.
-Know your application well, alot of questions will be based on what you wrote
-Have a sense of humor, but don't be too risque or crude
-Interact with the other interviewees, they'll be your future friends, colleagues, and maybe even co-residents
-Dress nice, get a nice conservative suit, shine your shoes, don't wear gym socks with dress shoes, etc.
-Always prepare a few questions for the interviewer, because everyone will ask you, "do you have any questions for us?"
-Treat every interview seriously, because you never know where you'll end up going.
-If there's an event before or afterwards, go and have a good time, get to know people, but don't get hammered. A good rule is to drink no more than what the residents or attendings are drinking.

I can tell you one book NOT to use - Iserson's. It gets you hyper-stressed out when the interviews are generally very laid back. Before my first interview, I was super stressed the night before because I hadn't had a chance to buy a neck scarf and a leather briefcase yet. As you can imagine - NOT important. Sure its important to prepare and know every facet of your application, but other than that its mostly chatting.

Members don't see this ad :)
are we doing mock interviews again this season?

babyblue_39 said:
I can tell you one book NOT to use - Iserson's. It gets you hyper-stressed out when the interviews are generally very laid back. Before my first interview, I was super stressed the night before because I hadn't had a chance to buy a neck scarf and a leather briefcase yet. As you can imagine - NOT important. Sure its important to prepare and know every facet of your application, but other than that its mostly chatting.

I agree with most of what was already said. Ophtho interviews are generally speaking very relaxed. You will hear many of the same questions over and over and over again. I actually started to like the really random question once in a while, and the occasional pimp question, as I was sooooooo bored with telling them why I wanted to go into ophtho and why I liked their program. A

Check this site out from the University of Washington. I personally found it very helpful. Scroll down to the section titled "The Interview Process." There's even a helpful video. Otherwise, I agree that optho interviews are for the most part relaxed. A few things off the top of my head

1. For the most part they are very relaxed. Occasionally you will run into tough interviewers or panels. I remember NYEEI tore me a new one.
2. 100% of the time I was asked "Do you have any questions for me?" I tried to browse the school's website the night before for a source of some good questions.
3. If you travel to different parts of the country where it may not be clear from your application that you have roots there, be prepared to answer "why do you want to come to city/state X." I got asked this alot.
4. BE NICE TO EVERYONE! If there's a janitor, say hi to the janitor. If there's a dog, pet the dog!

http://www.uwmedicine.org/Education...sidency+Selection+and+Application+Process.htm

i think this is excellent advice. :thumbup:

Spyder007 said:
Check this site out from the University of Washington. I personally found it very helpful. Scroll down to the section titled "The Interview Process." There's even a helpful video. Otherwise, I agree that optho interviews are for the most part relaxed. A few things off the top of my head

1. For the most part they are very relaxed. Occasionally you will run into tough interviewers or panels. I remember NYEEI tore me a new one.
2. 100% of the time I was asked "Do you have any questions for me?" I tried to browse the school's website the night before for a source of some good questions.
3. If you travel to different parts of the country where it may not be clear from your application that you have roots there, be prepared to answer "why do you want to come to city/state X." I got asked this alot.
4. BE NICE TO EVERYONE! If there's a janitor, say hi to the janitor. If there's a dog, pet the dog!

http://www.uwmedicine.org/Education...sidency+Selection+and+Application+Process.htm