successful reapplicants: when is a good time to start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maristella

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know, it's a bit early to start jumping on this, but with the crazy number of well qualified applicants this year I feel the need to be prepared for the worst. I have average stats, 3.5 GPA and a 30 MCAT, and have heard not one single thing from even my state school. I was complete in mid sept.

I would just like to know when is an ideal time to start seriously considering reapplying for next year? I would like to take a prep course to retake the MCAT and sign up for more science classes next semester. Should I just go ahead and start planning for these? Any advice from people who have been there would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what you'll be doing in your gap year...did you have a backup plan?

I would wait until next year (jan 2008) before doing anything. If you don't hear anything by then, you might want to consider retaking mcats in april.

Also if you want you still can apply for DOs. Your stats will make up for a late app.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been in your shoes. Here's what I did...

First and foremost. Try to find out why you didn't get accepted after you interviewed. Some actually told me but some others wouldn't.

Second. If you do find out specifics, work on improving in those areas. i.e. If they think your science background is weak, take some hardcore science classes to bring that up. If your essay was bad, take some writing courses and/or get some help. If your MCAT was low, take a Kaplan course or something to bring it up.

Third. Don't ever give up. If they see you have applied multiple times, they may also see that you are determined.

Time is also sort of a factor. You may ask yourself if one year is sufficient. I took a little more than one... but the improvements I made, got me in and I couldn't be happier to be in this academic foxhole.

Good luck.

i agree with the above posters that you need to take an honest, introspective look on your strengths, weaknesses, through the lens of "how do these experiences show that i want to be a physician, that i have the energy and commitment to do so, and for the right reasons?"

for me, i took the brutal honesty of my pre-med counselors, former teachers, and even some admissions reps to tell me. but those things are what are addressed.

3.5 GPA and 30 MCAT are not lackluster academic stats, don't sell yourself short. but figure out where the gaps are in your application and start addressing those...

and never give up. :thumbup:

thanks for all the advice guys!

honestly looking at my app, i don't think there's any "weak" parts, it's just that unfortunately nothing is "stellar", which i think might hurt me and many other applicants this year with the huge number of people applying and applying early.

i suppose it's hard to gauge when is a good time to start getting ready for next year...(someone suggested january) since schools are moving so slowly processing apps this cycle. i just don't want to be behind in getting myself ready for the next year, so i am just looking for a time when people actually resigned themself to "okay i need to get my stuff together for the next cycle"....

as for a backup plan "b" i currently work in a research lab full time to save money, although i would also consider getting a masters as well. Not sure which path would be more beneficial, as I don't know if the graduate GPA boost would be worth the money spent on the degree.

The other posts are right. Your grades/MCAT are fine. If you got interviews, then examine what happened during the interview. You really might want to look into extracurriculars. How do you spend your time outside of class? Do you mentor? Are you working for volunteer agencies? What medical experiences do you have? Once you get an interview, your grades/MCAT are not as important as what kind of person you are. They are looking for personality and character. But I would hold up on starting the next cycle til after the new year. Good luck in all you do.

Is that your science GPA?? Stats are pretty good. If you didn't have any interviews I would assume it's the extra-cirriculars. I know you work in a lab, but do you do anything that is actually medical, like volunteer? Also, how are your letters of recommendation?

From past experience, I highly consider working on things ASAP. I didn't and it put be behind a year reapplying. Also, it's difficult to explain why I did nothing for aobut 8 months to better prepare for reapp. I think it is better to do too much now and not need it later than to not do anything now if you do need to use this time later. Make sense?

Reapp is only 6 months away now.......you don't have a year

That's good advice - it's true, the reapplication process would be in June (around 6 months away).

with the other posters.. some schools say you can contact them to find out why you weren't accepted/interviewed and even what to improve... I called almost all the schools I was rejected from last year (with a few exceptions) and most of them were very helpful.. they reviewed my application and called me back the same day..

One in particular told me that if i did X there should be no reason I wouldn't get an interview.. and I got accepted this year.. so really listen to what the schools tell you if you can.. although most of them want you to wait to do this till later in the cycle..

I also had all my secondaries complete earlier this year.. last year was about aug/sept and this year I had most done in july/beginning of august if I could manage and had money.. just a thought..

1) I definitely agree with the other posters about addressing the weak points in your application.

2) Your stats aren't bad, but they won't be putting you on the fast-track anywhere. Keep in mind that they're only a third of the way into the interview season, so it's not time to start worrying yet.

3) If you do start thinking of preparing a new application, be sure you have improved it noticeably from last year. I was advised that a lot of people wait two years--skip a cycle, change their app, then reapply. (That's what I did.) It also gives you some time off, a chance to gain fresh perspectives, and grow as a person. If you decide you want to reapply immediately, a good time to start on the personal statement would be anytime from now until February. The rest can wait till you know more from med schools this cycle.

4) Otherwise, if you can take more classes, and get your grades even up to a 3.6, that would be awesome. A Master's would be great too, provided a) you can afford it, and b) you do well in it. (If you're not prepared to really do well (3.65ish or better) it really won't be worth it, and if you do poorly, you risk ruining your application.) Or you could go for a Master's in something not as gpa-oriented, like in Public Health or Public Polcy. So, with a 3.5, taking some extra undergrad classes may be an easier, cheaper, more sure-fire way of improving your application.

5) If you really think you can improve your MCAT, go for it. If you're not sure, think about it some more, and talk to an adviser or two about it.

Hope this helps a little bit, even though you've gotten some wonderful input already. Best of luck!

...4) Otherwise, if you can take more classes, and get your grades even up to a 3.6, that would be awesome. A Master's would be great too, provided a) you can afford it, and b) you do well in it. (If you're not prepared to really do well (3.65ish or better) it really won't be worth it, and if you do poorly, you risk ruining your application.) Or you could go for a Master's in something not as gpa-oriented, like in Public Health or Public Polcy. So, with a 3.5, taking some extra undergrad classes may be an easier, cheaper, more sure-fire way of improving your application...
I have to disagree on this point. Unless you're talking about a SMP, masters and doctorate degrees don't help you all that much in getting into medical school. Effort for effort, doing ugrad classes gets you closer to getting in than graduate school.

I have to disagree on this point. Unless you're talking about a SMP, masters and doctorate degrees don't help you all that much in getting into medical school. Effort for effort, doing ugrad classes gets you closer to getting in than graduate school.

Sorry for the confusion. The OP was talking about an SMP, and I just referred to it as a "Master's." I was definitely referring to an SMP. I don't believe an MPH or MPP or similar Master's programs will cause adcoms to overlook a poor undergrad gpa. But a Special Master's Program (which usually only accepts people with a minimum gpa of 3.0, although they do differ) can certainly cause an adcom to view a successful SMP student as being competent in graduate level medical science-based coursework, which does help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do UG classes factor into your GPA even after graduation?

Do UG classes factor into your GPA even after graduation?
Yes. That's why folks do post-baccs. They remediate ugrad classes and have the new credit hours add to their ugrad GPA. The weakness of MS/PhD degrees (in terms of getting an acceptance) is that they do not add to ugrad GPA.

I know, it's a bit early to start jumping on this, but with the crazy number of well qualified applicants this year I feel the need to be prepared for the worst. I have average stats, 3.5 GPA and a 30 MCAT, and have heard not one single thing from even my state school. I was complete in mid sept.

I would just like to know when is an ideal time to start seriously considering reapplying for next year? I would like to take a prep course to retake the MCAT and sign up for more science classes next semester. Should I just go ahead and start planning for these? Any advice from people who have been there would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe it's not your scores. The real question is what difference does it make if this year brings a lot of well qualified applicants? It has always been that way and will always be that way. You are just paranoid which is normal. Do not retake the MCAT, the odds of increasing it to make any difference is miniscule. Just make sure you do things that make you more attractive to the admissions folks. Hell, maybe you like skydiving or did rounds as an EMT or joined the National Guard or Army Reserve. Who knows...

Good time to start? Yesterday. It's never too early.

For next year, I'm beefing up the app with an April retake (22/21 last year, before the prereqs, latest practice score was 31), shadowing in the other two specialties I'm interested in (peds & oncology), and a couple more classes. Because I didn't have many of the prereqs done, I had a 3.71GPA when AMCAS verified last year. Now it's a 3.892, and after the winter will be about a 3.91.

I'll ask for LORs in April, fill out my AMCAS in May, send transcripts about May 20th, and turn in AMCAS June 1st. I'm learning how to play the game :)

In October 2007, I pondered what I could do to increase my chances of getting into med school.

(1) My MCAT score. I started taking the Princeton Review class in November to prepare for the April MCAT. Result: Though I didn't make an overall increase, my verbal score showed an upward trend (the interviewer really liked that) and my writing score did, too.

(2) More clinical experiences. I continued to work at the hospital...and even got to TEACH med students how to splint/start IVs/and set up for sutures. Sweet~.

(3) Shadowing experience. Prior to this cycle, I had no shadowing experience. Thus, I asked one of the EM docs to see if I could shadow them. I think I shadowed for about two months.

(4) Start application EARLY, EARLY, EARLY. This was my major mistake. I did everything TOO late in the previous cycle. Thus, I asked for LORs in April; sent in my transcripts in May, completed my PS in May, and submitted my AMCAS in June. Once secondaries came, I returned them all within a 1-week period.

Good luck to you all!! I'm not sure if this helps, but I hope it does! :luck:

thanks for all the advice guys!

honestly looking at my app, i don't think there's any "weak" parts, it's just that unfortunately nothing is "stellar", which i think might hurt me and many other applicants this year with the huge number of people applying and applying early.

i suppose it's hard to gauge when is a good time to start getting ready for next year...(someone suggested january) since schools are moving so slowly processing apps this cycle. i just don't want to be behind in getting myself ready for the next year, so i am just looking for a time when people actually resigned themself to "okay i need to get my stuff together for the next cycle"....

as for a backup plan "b" i currently work in a research lab full time to save money, although i would also consider getting a masters as well. Not sure which path would be more beneficial, as I don't know if the graduate GPA boost would be worth the money spent on the degree.

I did a similar backup plan as you have, and although I think the research field doesn't pay much it'll help with some app costs if you do have to reapply. Your GPA/MCAT looks solid, maybe your luck will change for the better in the coming weeks?

Last cycle, I didn't consider reapplying until April-ish after I was put on 3 W/L's. You should leave ample time to get a new LOR (most schools require at least one new LOR) and re-write/edit your PS.

Good time to start? Yesterday. It's never too early.

Actually that was the first thing I thought of when the question was poised.

My question is where did you apply? Did you have a balanced application or did you apply for all reach schools? Did you apply early or late? Have you had any interviews yet? I personally believe that it is not over until classes start for some schools...I'm sure that there are more than a few that got notice right before school started last year. In either case, I would make sure to apply as soon as you can...also, don't limit yourself to MD schools and be flexible.

ample time has followed since starting this thread, wow! anyway thanks again for all the advice. i enjoy hearing everyone's input and stories.

i have since had 1 interview and subsequent deferral. it's not over yet, but things aren't as optimistic as i'd hoped. i didn't apply to that many schools, but the ones i did apply to weren't really "reach" schools, (VCU, Loyola, state school, etc) I would say I was about in their range of applicant scores..although I applied late (mid Sept)

anyway i have already registered to retake the MCAT in May and have started sitting in on some Kaplan classes (I work there they let me:)) although it's hard to REALLY focus when I'm still half a foot in half a foot out if you know what i mean. I'm also applying to a new job to get more clinical experience besides just my labwork.

does that sound like a good gameplan to ya'll? where do you suggest I apply to next year? Things aren't ideal but hey they never are! good luck to all those thinking about reapplication too!

ample time has followed since starting this thread, wow! anyway thanks again for all the advice. i enjoy hearing everyone's input and stories.

i have since had 1 interview and subsequent deferral. it's not over yet, but things aren't as optimistic as i'd hoped. i didn't apply to that many schools, but the ones i did apply to weren't really "reach" schools, (VCU, Loyola, state school, etc) I would say I was about in their range of applicant scores..although I applied late (mid Sept)

anyway i have already registered to retake the MCAT in May and have started sitting in on some Kaplan classes (I work there they let me:)) although it's hard to REALLY focus when I'm still half a foot in half a foot out if you know what i mean. I'm also applying to a new job to get more clinical experience besides just my labwork.

does that sound like a good gameplan to ya'll? where do you suggest I apply to next year? Things aren't ideal but hey they never are! good luck to all those thinking about reapplication too!

when you do your primary applications (whether its AMCAS for MD or AACOMAS for DO), have your personal statement, transcripts, and list of experiences ready so that you can enter your primary application in AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

I worked on my personal statement for several months so that by the time summer came around and AMCAS/AACOMAS opened up, I was ready to start cut and pasting. I submitted my primaries within the first two weeks of the system allowing you to do so, and completed all my secondaries within 2 weeks of receiving them. It's a serious commitment, but applying early gives you the best chances.

look into DO schools as an option as well and apply broadly... again, it all depends on your career path and what you want out of your education, but many students are doing well and becoming excellent physicians in DO programs. good luck to you!

I didn't get in last year..found out in April though. But as a back up plan, because I knew my MCAT needed to come up, I was already signed up to take the KAPLAN course over the summer. (Which I strongly rec) So, when I didn't get in, I was ready to take the course. I then had my AMCA apps done and ready the DATE it opened to accept applications. I got interview invites almost 6 months earlier than last year.. and I think a big part of it was getting my stuff done so early.

when you do your primary applications (whether its AMCAS for MD or AACOMAS for DO), have your personal statement, transcripts, and list of experiences ready so that you can enter your primary application in AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

I worked on my personal statement for several months so that by the time summer came around and AMCAS/AACOMAS opened up, I was ready to start cut and pasting. I submitted my primaries within the first two weeks of the system allowing you to do so, and completed all my secondaries within 2 weeks of receiving them. It's a serious commitment, but applying early gives you the best chances.

look into DO schools as an option as well and apply broadly... again, it all depends on your career path and what you want out of your education, but many students are doing well and becoming excellent physicians in DO programs. good luck to you!

DITTO everything you said. My thoughts exactly.