Sucess in Orgo 2 when you have the most boring teacher in the world

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, how does one accomplish this?

Members don't see this ad.

Turn it into a challenge and try to relate the things you learn in Orgo to other classes. I assume you'll be taking the MCAT someday. It helps to follow what your studying in Orgo to the organic section in an MCAT study guide.

Hey Julian:

I feel your pain. I too had the MOST boring teacher for orgo2. I usually tuned him out in class, and read from the book. I went chapter to chapter and made notecards for each section. I just learned the book, that's how he tested. I did lots o' probs. Pulled an A in all three quarters. I was a journalism major in my first life, so all you science guys can certainly do it if I did! Good luck! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmmm...is there another section with another teacher you can go to? It would probably be worth it if it's possible.....

Unfortunately, my school only has one section for Orgo 1 and Orgo 2, so you're just screwed. Have I mentioned how much I hate being pre-med?

Originally posted by JulianCrane:
•Unfortunately, my school only has one section for Orgo 1 and Orgo 2, so you're just screwed. Have I mentioned how much I hate being pre-med?•••

Organic chemistry is not meant to be interesting. :D Trust me on that one. Just plow you're way through it, write the MCAT in April, and put all this behind you. I absolutely hate a couple of the classes I'm taking right now, but I need them for my degree, so I just try to forget about them...

Don't go to classes if you don't like the prof. I got through orgo by studying the notes and doing the hell out of the problems during the weekends. It doesn't hurt if you have a cute study partner...

Making orgo interesting is harder than ridding the world of terrorism.

My OChem I teacher is the cOOlest.... he totally makes sense and try to make everything fun and simple... will see how he really is after I take the first exam....

Just memorize everything. Thats what I did. Didn't fair too badly either. Went to prof and just asked him what we were responsible for. Pretty straightforward. I found Orgo 2 to be much more pleasant than 1 even though we had a professor who had difficulty with the language.

I agree with the above posters. As a Physical Chemist, organic really sucks for me. I am being forced to take a graduate level synthesis class and it is pure hell. Just memorize everything and drudge through it. It helps if you try to make it amusing to yourself, but I realize sometimes thats hard to do. Just try your best. Good luck!

If it was me I'd go to class anyway cuz that's just the way I am I don't like to miss class.

Then I would just make sure that I did all the assigned homework--split it up so it's manageable and follow a schedule.

And if he is a bad teacher as well as a boring one I would make sure to go to him with *any* questions that I had. MAybe he'd be less boring one on one? Well anyway it sucks to have to pursue people like that if they are bad teachers but in the end it's worth it.

Hmm...maybe bring some coffee to class too so you stay awake??????

Good luck.

Well, at my school the assigned homework is all the in-chapter problems. We have NO recitations or quizzes -- just exams! And I did go to my prof's office hours and someone asked him a question and he responded, "I don't have an answer for that. You need P-Chem for that." When I asked him about a mechanism, he wrote this obscure mechanism that when I read the book, none of what he said made no sense. I guess I am in a bit of a quandary, but I will deal.

Hmm in that case I guess you gotta just do all the problems then :) Yeah pretty much all the problems were assigned when I took it too--damn orgo was a lot of work!!

Hmmm....do you have a smart, helpful TA by any chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
All the TAs speak near to no English! Ah! Well, I guess I just have to suffer for another 4 months until my chemical career is over.

Geesh, if this is gonna hold you back, man you're really in for it. At least half of my profs were dry as a bone. It's a luxury when you get the inspiring, well-designed lecture particularly in the days of falling back on pirating figures from texts and turning that into your power point lecture.

No, he speaks perfect English, just at a inaudible and monotonous way.

I guess I'm the lone dissenter. I like O-Chem a lot. The beginning is rote memorization, but into the latter half you really get to use your brain. I honestly think it teaches you to think in a more different way than any other pre-med course. There are situations in O-chem where you just have to look at the problem a completely different way to get where you need to go. I liked that a lot, but my experience is apparently in the minority. As far as memorization to an extreme and cruddy level I'd award that to biochem any day. Those crazy books w/no text just pathways freaked me out. :oops:

With all this organic chemistry we are learning, what will be its purpose when I'm practicing medicine?

I didn't feel that way about my second semester of O-chem. I found pure memorization to be most useful that semester. The first semester I thought required more "brain" usage ( I hate stereochemistry!). I also thought that Physics really gave you a chance to work on your problem solving abilities from many different angles. I think thats why most pre-meds hate it, because you can't just memorize damn formulas and barf it back up on a test.

Oh, I forgot to add this. At our state medical school (Nevada) I was checking out some of my friend's biochem class notes and there were f-ing mechanisms on there. O-chem will pay off someday in the near future.

Hey Julian. It'll help in Pharm courses. I mean, it'll help you figure out what the hell the names mean and figure out some of the diagrams when they draw structures. It's cool to be able to draw TNT as well (TriNitroToluene, supposedly pretty easy to make.)

And you're right UCSFreak, you get to use your brain in physics (I actually like physics even more than O-chem. Inorganic chem sucks @ss) but I still don't think you have to use your brain as counterinutuitively to figure out physics probs, granted they're difficult, but not counterintuitive like O-chem.

Hi Triangulation,
Don't get me wrong, I really liked orgo. Yeah it was a lot of work, but interesting when you understand it. But I do feel bad for JulianCrane though because I was lucky enough to have a good professor.

Hey,
I'm taking OChem II this semester too. Luckily, my professor is my age (28), is cute, and has a darling LA accent! I already told him that listening to OChem will sound better with his accent. Too bad he's married. I was thinking of trying some "Beautiful Mind" scenario.
However, he's already giving us a quiz on Tuesday. His comment: "Now, ya'll don't freak on me now."

P.S. My teacher last semester was a maniac, so I think it's time for someone who actually likes teaching. You know you're in trouble when your Orgo teacher says "I don't believe in curves. I don't believe in extra credit. I don't believe in tutoring".
:eek:

Hey,
I'm taking OChem II this semester too. Luckily, my professor is my age (28), is cute, and has a darling LA accent! I already told him that listening to OChem will sound better with his accent. Too bad he's married. I was thinking of trying some "Beautiful Mind" scenario.
However, he's already giving us a quiz on Tuesday. His comment: "Now, ya'll don't freak on me now."

P.S. My teacher last semester was a maniac, so I think it's time for someone who actually likes teaching. You know you're in trouble when your Orgo teacher says "I don't believe in curves. I don't believe in extra credit. I don't believe in tutoring".
:eek: