Sucks to be a CA resident...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRealAngeleno

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright guys so I'm going to be applying this coming cycle. I have a 3.569 Cum and 3.545 BCPM. I'll be taking the MCAT on April 29. I have volunteered at a hospital for 2 years, a free clinic and a hospice. I have 2 years of research experience. I also have various leadership experience from some of the clubs I was involved with during my undergrad. I was also a DJ for about 1.5 years...should I list that on the AMCAS application?

Anyways, I'm worried about my gpa as I know its a bit on the low side especially being from CA. I would like to know what my chances are for Allopathic Schools. I really would like to go to an Allopathic school over a DO school but at this point I'm definitely open to DO schools. I'm definitely going to apply very broadly all over the country, perhaps 40-50 MD schools...but yea. Thanks a lot guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Your ECs look fine (you should be ok to list the DJ gig if you need to fill space). You might just have forgotten to mention, but I do suggest some shadowing before you apply (~50 hrs over 2-3 specialties is average).

Yes, your GPA is a little on the low side, but is should be enough to get your foot in the door. I'd say with a 30+ on the MCAT you will probably have a fairly successful application cycle.

40 schools is a bit on the high side, I encourage you to only apply to schools that you wouldn't mind spending the next four years of your life (instead of just applying somewhere because you think you'll get in). I agree that you should probably sprinkle a few DO schools in as well, just in case.

Anyways, I'm worried about my gpa as I know its a bit on the low side especially being from CA.

Being "from" CA won't be a problem, as long as you don't want to stay in CA. Unless your MCAT is quite strong, in-state allopathic is going to be tough. Plenty of anecdote about people with lower GPAs getting Keck and UCD acceptances, but it's going to be uphill to stay in state. It will all depend on your MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your ECs look fine (you should be ok to list the DJ gig if you need to fill space). You might just have forgotten to mention, but I do suggest some shadowing before you apply (~50 hrs over 2-3 specialties is average).

Yes, your GPA is a little on the low side, but is should be enough to get your foot in the door. I'd say with a 30+ on the MCAT you will probably have a fairly successful application cycle.

40 schools is a bit on the high side, I encourage you to only apply to schools that you wouldn't mind spending the next four years of your life (instead of just applying somewhere because you think you'll get in). I agree that you should probably sprinkle a few DO schools in as well, just in case.

Hey aSagacious thanks for the input. Do you think it is imperative that I shadow a Physician? I've shadowed my research PI but only for about 6-7 hours. I've been having some difficulty shadowing Physicians. I tried calling numerous hospitals and clinics but I always get the same response... "Unfortunately due to regulations we cannot allow you to shadow." Would my clinical experience that I currently have right now be sufficient? Thanks a lot guys.

Do you think it is imperative that I shadow a Physician?
Shadowing sure couldn't hurt. If you can't find any opportunities, though, I could think of worse things to be missing on my application. :rolleyes:

Would my clinical experience that I currently have right now be sufficient?
When you say 2 years of volunteering, about how many hours (total) have you acquired? I think the average applicant has about 150 hrs over 1.5 years, so perhaps you should try to aim for a few more to make up for the lack of shadowing.

Shadowing sure couldn't hurt. If you can't find any opportunities, though, I could think of worse things to be missing on my application. :rolleyes:

When you say 2 years of volunteering, about how many hours (total) have you acquired? I think the average applicant has about 150 hrs over 1.5 years, so perhaps you should try to aim for a few more to make up for the lack of shadowing.

I have about ~240 hrs at the hospital I volunteered at and around ~80 hrs at the free clinic. I'm shooting for around 60 hrs for the hospice I'm currently volunteering with.

It is highly recommended you shadow at least 1 MD in primary care (preferably 2-3 in different specialities). For many DO schools, you need to shadow a DO and get a LOR from him. Applying to 40 schools seem a bit out of whack. Do 25 MD and maybe 6-7 DO. I have to agree with you that applying as a CA resident, you have to be open as to where you have to go. However, there are many OOS schools and private ones that are CA friendly. It's cool that you DJ. You work more in clubs or open events?

Since you've put in time at the free clinic, they might be open to a request to shadow a doc. It won't hurt to try. You could also ask your own physician, those of parents, or doctor parents of friends. Some schools don't care about shadowing, but the majority will expect to see it.

Alright that sounds pretty solid. Any docs at the hospice facility that you could shadow?

At the moment, no. I pretty much just go to either a nursing home or the patients home and my role as a volunteer is just to provide socialization for the patient.

It is highly recommended you shadow at least 1 MD in primary care (preferably 2-3 in different specialities). For many DO schools, you need to shadow a DO and get a LOR from him. Applying to 40 schools seem a bit out of whack. Do 25 MD and maybe 6-7 DO. I have to agree with you that applying as a CA resident, you have to be open as to where you have to go. However, there are many OOS schools and private ones that are CA friendly. It's cool that you DJ. You work more in clubs or open events?

Thanks for the advice. I did the club scene for quite a bit...but when I started taking some of the more difficult science classes I had to stop since it messed up my sleeping pattern. After that I just stuck with more formal events like wedding receptions, quinceanera's, debuts etc.

Since you've put in time at the free clinic, they might be open to a request to shadow a doc. It won't hurt to try. You could also ask your own physician, those of parents, or doctor parents of friends. Some schools don't care about shadowing, but the majority will expect to see it.

Yea I tried to shadow the doc at the free clinic I volunteered at but since there were quite a few pre-meds...he didn't allow me to shadow him since he didn't want the possibility of allowing other volunteers to shadow him. I'm really worried about obtaining shadowing experience because I'ts been very difficult for me to find someone to shadow. I don't know what to do. I've tried calling nearly every hospital and clinic within the LA area and I still can't seem to find the opportunity to shadow...

Your GPA isn't great, but it definitely isn't awful. Get some shadowing in before you apply and get a good MCAT score and you should have a pretty nice application.

Are you reasonably close to Cedars? I and a friend of mine have both had FANTASTIC experiences shadowing doctors at Cedars. They have a program in place (see "independent student volunteer") that I highly recommend.

Hey guys so I just have a quick question. So pretty much I ended postponing my MCAT to June 16. I'm considering applying to the Texas schools that do not require a secondary application and I was wondering if I would be late in applying to these schools since I'm taking my MCAT on June 16.