Sucks to be a California resident...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DblHelix

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought you'd all like to know that, according to an admissions employee at a UC med school, over 75% of California applicants are forced to go outside the state for their medical education. We all know it sucks to be from CA, but this is rediculous. We should be afforded an equal opportunity for a cheaper education like most everyone else. Talk about a state that doesn't support its residents...sheesh

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, sucks to be from Cali. Btw, we get quite alot of you guys out here in the midwest! ;)

Although Pennsylvania schools are less competitive than Cali, our cheapest "state" school is $32k. I can get cheaper tution as an OOS resident in many states. At least in Cali you have the hope to stay in-state for cheap education. If you want to stay in-state in PA, you're going to pay.

Members don't see this ad :)
at least you guys have a state medical schools, RI has only Brown=40k a year and no state schools to choose from.

We all know it sucks to be from CA, but this is rediculous.
It sucks to be a mediocre California applicant, but imho it's the best state to be from if you have a really strong app.

I'm speaking from my little piece of mediocrity here, btw...

Yeah, sucks to be from Cali. Btw, we get quite alot of you guys out here in the midwest! ;)

Haha. Can you think of very many private schools that don't have CA residents in the top 2 or 3 in class representation? Californians are the cash cow of the private school system in the United States. We fuel the economy...:laugh:

Ouch. Reminds me of being in Ontario, here in Canada. Only 15% of applicants get an acceptance.

what you failed to mention is that California has a surplus of physicians and therefore doesn't need to desperately educate future doctors like states in the middle of the country and the south do. the job market for physicians is already really tight there even if the number of schools is deficient relative to the number of wanna-be physicians. if you look at physician incomes, there is enormous differences in reimbursements in CA relative to where I live now, even though my current area is much cheaper in terms of the cost of living.

also, private schools outside of CA have no trouble accepting these students, many of whom will go back to CA. therefore, what incentive do the already over-burdened taxpayers of CA have to open up more schools?

It sucks to be a mediocre California applicant, but imho it's the best state to be from if you have a really strong app.

I'm speaking from my little piece of mediocrity here, btw...

Couldn't agree more.

what you failed to mention is that California has a surplus of physicians and therefore doesn't need to desperately educate future doctors like states in the middle of the country and the south do. the job market for physicians is already really tight there even if the number of schools is deficient relative to the number of wanna-be physicians. if you look at physician incomes, there is enormous differences in reimbursements in CA relative to where I live now, even though my current area is much cheaper in terms of the cost of living.

also, private schools outside of CA have no trouble accepting these students, many of whom will go back to CA. therefore, what incentive do the already over-burdened taxpayers of CA have to open up more schools?

The goodness in their hearts for all us poor medical school applicants? No, I suppose not. Although, since so many states do feel it is their 'duty' to educate the people of their state I sure wish ours felt the same.

They actually are opening a new one - should be open 2012...

The goodness in their hearts for all us poor medical school applicants? No, I suppose not. Although, since so many states do feel it is their 'duty' to educate the people of their state I sure wish ours felt the same.

They actually are opening a new one - should be open 2012...
Ignore the troll. Cali wants only the best doctors to treat california patients so if those happen to be oos then so be it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uhhhhh... I think you're looking at private schools. The UCs are public, and are at the middle of the road for cost.

I don't get it. According to USNews, Tuition + Room/Board total are expensive at UC, tuition alone not cheap either.
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/webextras/brief/sb_med_cost_public_brief.php

more expensive than some private schools like MCW, Howard
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/webextras/brief/sb_med_cost_private_brief.php
Any thoughts about this?

Uh, look at your own link...Howard (26k) and MCW (28k) are both more expensive than the UC's (21-23k).

Maybe that has something to do with why people say they are cheap...

and the UC system is likely adding not one, but two med schools

Merced and Riverside

yup. They approved it 2 mos ago.
Actually it wasnt. There was a meeting for approval, but it wasnt approved then. If you dont know what you are talking abou then just sit still.

Is it true that UC Med schools are tuition-free for residents?

Any idea when the Merced and Riverside schools will be opening?

the riverside opening date is said to be 2012
not to sure about merced
If i start college this fall, will i be applicable for the riverside medical school supposing it opens 2012 as scheduled?

i doubt Merced will be having a med school anytime soon

what you failed to mention is that California has a surplus of physicians and therefore doesn't need to desperately educate future doctors like states in the middle of the country and the south do.

Pretty sure that's not true. I recently read that the AAMC suggested that the U.S. needs to increase the number of physicians, especially in CA...

Actually, the duty of the state isn't to educate everyone who wants to go to med school. It's to produce enough doctors to serve their population. Currently, California has plenty of doctors.

Pretty sure that's not true. I recently read that the AAMC suggested that the U.S. needs to increase the number of physicians, especially in CA...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FBW/is_8_2/ai_76289152

highlighting my point:

"There isn't a shortage of doctors in California, says Dr. Kevin Grumbach, chairman of the department of family and community medicine at UC San Francisco.

There's just a "maldistribution" of them." -(http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archive/2006/April/09/local/stories/01local.htm)

if physicians are just poorly distributed, additional physicians will not solve the problem...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FBW/is_8_2/ai_76289152

highlighting my point:

"There isn't a shortage of doctors in California, says Dr. Kevin Grumbach, chairman of the department of family and community medicine at UC San Francisco.

There's just a "maldistribution" of them." -(http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archive/2006/April/09/local/stories/01local.htm)

if physicians are just poorly distributed, additional physicians will not solve the problem...

Yep...today it's 9 degrees with a wind chill of -7 here in Chicago...not a fun day to be from Cali. (I'm from Chicago, though, so i just kinda sit back and laugh) :smuggrin:

(on a side note, with 5 public medical schools for a population of about 34 million, california isn't all that far worse off than illinois with 2 public schools for a population of about 12 million in terms of providing an opportunity for in-staters to get an affordable education)