sufficient premed application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jankodejenko

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
do the majority of pre-med applicants have some kind of research done?

i have no research done - only thing done are : prereqs, summer experience in 3rd world country medical brigade, mcat. of course the more the better but generally speaking

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if the majority of applicants have research or not. I do know that the majority of accepted applicants have som research experience though.

If you aren't applying this cycle I would definently try to line a gig up with a PI before you apply

When I applied, the answer was no (at least for my university). About 1/3rd had research done, or were beginning to wrap it up. However, that was almost 4 years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)

i have no research done - only thing done are : prereqs, summer experience in 3rd world country medical brigade, mcat. of course the more the better but generally speaking

No, the majority do not have research. And truthfully I would not chase it unless it's something you actually want to do.

A quick glance through MSAR shows that > 80% of all matriculants have done some form of research. Some of the cynics here think that they're simply listing time in the lab washing glassware, but solipsism tends to reign in darker corners of the human mind.

Be that as it may, here are some good reasons to engage in research...ie, learning something about the scientific principle:

DrMidlife on research: “you've preferably had some exposure to research so you can be convinced that Wakefield used malicious dirtbag methods and is not the savior of the world's children.”

Crayola227 on research: “So tired about the whining over the foundation of knowledge that is expected in a physician.
We're applied scientists ffs. Own that. If you can't own it and take pride in it, gtfo.”

In a 2013 AAMC survey* where 127 medical admissions offices responded, found research experience is only of medium importance at private schools and of low importance to public schools as an experiential factor in offering both interview invitations and acceptance. Healthcare experience, community service/volunteer experience, experience with underserved populations, navigated through cultural barriers or challenges, leadership experience were considered of higher importance in factors for interview invites and offers of acceptances

*https://www.aamc.org/download/434596/data/usingmcatdata2016.pdf
see page 3 (pdf p7) Table 1. Mean Importance Ratings of Academic, Experiential, and Demographic Application Data Used by Admissions Committees for Making Decisions about Which Applicants to Receive an Interview Invitation and Offer Acceptance (N=127)
okay thanks guys. research was something i was looking into since the particular subject was interesting to me but gpa was still my priority and wasn't wiling to jeopardize that to a bit of curiosity :)

I initially got into research b/c I thought it was needed. Eventually I grew to enjoy it. Try new things!! If you have the time of course

Reactions: 1 user